BC Boards

Worried about noise - what do I do now?

Dazzle worries. That is just life.

I have learned to get all happy with her help her get over it but she still worries.

She had a big Teeter noise issue - BUT I am happy to report that with a lot of training, she is fine with doing the teeter at high speed now! YAY!! :rolleyes: She is also fine with the full sized DW at class (the floor is concrete with mats on top so when a dog goes over the dogwalk the bottom sometimes snaps up and hit the ground pretty hard - making a big rattling noise but Dazzle doesn't care about it now, again, YAY!!!).

So SHE is fine with these things, by herself. If she hears another dog go over the Teeter/DW (even if she is watching) she gets all scared and she shakes, pants, hides, runs to the door, the whole deal. Anyone could see that she gets really stressed out.

Only thing is, I don't know how to help her get over this because she WILL do the stuff - happily! - but she just doesn't want other dogs to do it.

How can I practice other dogs doing it - without other dogs? Any ideas would be helpful. Oh, and the shih tzu can do the stuff - but she doesn't make enough noise for Dazzle to care .

(unfortunately, sound recordings of the stuff doesn't work for her either :D )

How about treating her just as another dog gets on the DW? So she starts munching as soon as she hears the noise?

Can't really practice outside of class, since that's where it happens.

Also, how many other places could that noise possibly happen at? (ie. trials) I've only seen trials in horse arenas.

If you don't think it would happen anywhere else, is there a way to redesign how they have their DW set up in class so it CAN'T make that noise?

I should ask them (we go on Monday) to put towels under the planks so it doesn't bang so much.....

It is not as much that I just "want" her to be over it - like you said, most trials are on grass or packed dirt.

The thing is, she shuts down in class if another dog goes over it (won't play, doesn't want treats) and she won't run like she usually does - she walks through the course (VERY unlike her). Putting towels under the planks would probobly solve the problem but I hate to know that deep down she is still scared of one of the obstacles.

Maggie used to be like that; I just treated the bangs like a click from a clicker and now she's ok w/ it. Perhaps putting cotton in her ears to muffle the sound would help while you build up to full volume?

If you don't have "access" to other dogs making the noises - what happens if YOU make the noise? Just slam that teeter down! (OK, not at first...)

Another dog would be better, because you wouldn't have to be so close to the obstacle in question. Can you get someone else with a very high-drive dog to work with you?

My guess is that if your dog is OK with her own noise, eventually she'll learn to ignore other dogs making the noise. Try to distract her when you know a noise is coming - make her do anything which is conflicting behavior (sit and stay would work, but B-O-R-I-N-G! How about spins or shake or high five or figure-8s through your legs? Anything that disallows her to run away!

Good luck....

Diane

Sadly Dazzle IS the most high drive dog around there (that knows how to do the obstacles anyway) - besides one other BC that is not even going to class, he is out working on his NATCH.

I will try ME doing the noise - while she is playing with a toy or something - and see how that goes. Also distracting of course. That should work (I hope) over time.

Thanks for all your help you guys!

Sadly she has a new pup of her own, and is never around much. :rolleyes: But her new pup (a border collie) is really cute! :D

I already do stuff (cleaning, working in booths, etc) for my training center and in return get free classes.

Next time I see her around (there is a trial coming up and she should be there) I will ask her for advise.

Thanks!