BC Boards

Agility titles - deleted???

Sue R

Am I the only one who is wondering where this thread went? I thought there were some very educational posts there, and sure hope folks weren't just "wasting their time" trying to communicate what responsible Border Collie breeders use for breeding criteria.

I know that OPs have deleted threads before when subsequent posters did not agree with them. Why should board members take the time and effort to respond if their posts may be deleted at the whim of the OP?

I was wondering that myself. Despite that one where I got a little frustrated (the problem with being unorganized), I was learning a lot. Especially from your post Sue and a few others.

I didn't think it was a waste of time at all.

Some day I'm going to learn to self-archive my ramblings. Sometimes I like the way I've said something and think I should save it for future use (educational materials or something), and I say, nah, everything is archived here much better than I could right now with all my computer problems.

C'est la vie.

You do say some profound things Rebecca, and in such a way that my little brain can undertand too.

Out of all the other "I want to breed my dog" posts, my eyes were FINALLY opened with that thread. I always had the mindset of "how can one honestly ruin the breed with ONE litter" or "why can't I breed my BC - it has a great temperment/and herds sheep once a month". I didn't understand that when you breed for 'anything' else but herding instinct (must be a very good herder at that to be bred!), we will wreck the breed that so many people have fell in love with.

I *think* I've got everything straightened out now, thanks to that thread. I also found that it is selfish of me to ever think of breeding one of my dogs, when in the back of my mind I know that it has faults....but like many people have said, "it would be wonderful to have 5 more Billy or Sally's running around blah blah etc. etc......."

I can be a little slow to catch on to things at times, and it has taken me what......8 months to finally understand the concept of why its wrong to breed a border collie for anything other than its herding ability (that's how long I've been on the boards :rolleyes: ).

Your "ramblings" are well worth the read, Rebecca. Maybe I'll begin to archive good answers---yours and those of others here.

Too bad because the OP could have learned a lot, had she stuck around---maybe she'll be lurking-I don't know, but for all the lip service she gave about her "knowledge", she still sounds immature.

It reinforces my respect for those who have come here and "run the gauntlet" and stuck around and learned. And I think a lot of people on this board have learned how to be direct and to the point, without insulting.

Oh well. Live and learn---some more than others.

BTW, isn't there a thread under Health & Gen's missing as well?

This is a shame..

But first .. What is an OP?

Now - my view, the shame.. Criticizing the actions of a moderator or administrator. We don't have to participate here, and if we do, we MUST accept that the Admin or Mod get the 'final' say. They (Admin / Mod) are such easy targets for criticism, that it is to me such a shame when it happens. Why do this in public?

FWIW - I have a very large discussion forum of my own, well over a million visits a month and I have rules that specifically explain that complaints about moderator actions should be taken up via email or Private Messages (I have 20

moderators helping me in my Forums) I try to protect my Mods via rules because it can so quickly get ugly, with bad feelings and confusion, and NOTHING is served by complaining about the Admin / Mod in public - and of course, the complaints will 'go away too'.....

I like this place, I think it is amazing that we all get along so well (wish my forum's members were so well behaved :D ), and this just bugs me..

OK - more than you wanted to know about Bob.. :rolleyes:

And I wasn't even following the thread that seems to be missing..

I don't think Eileen deleted the thread. That's not her style. Apparently the OP (original poster) deleted her own thread. The BB equivalent of taking your toys and going home in a pet. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bob d:

What is an OP? Now - my view, the shame.. Criticizing the actions of a moderator or administrator. Why do this in public?

Bob, an OP is "Original Poster" and only the OP or the Moderator may delete an entire thread, although any poster may delete any one of their individual posts.

I hope you didn't think any of us were criticizing Eileen, our moderator. If she were to delete an entire thread (or an offensive or inappropriate post), I am sure it would be for the benefit of the boards. If you thought I was being critical of Eileen, I apologize if I gave that impression in any way. I am particularly sorry if Eileen felt I was being critical of her because I certainly was not.

I think this was another case of, as Rebecca put into words what I was thinking, "I don't want to play anymore and I'm taking my toys and going home."

What bothers me in this type of situation is that some people like Rebecca, Mark, and Eileen have put time and effort into writing posts to communicate with the OP (and anyone else who is concerned about the topic), and every one's hard work and thought has been deleted along with the OP's posts.

What Rebecca said sounds like a good idea - to archive good posts on one's own computer in case of such a situation as this, so you can have those posts to refer to if you feel they are particularly helpful.

It appears that the OP has deleted any threads they started that met with anything other than acceptance. That's really a shame. A lot of very pertinant and important things were said (very eloquently) in that thread that I would have liked to have seen preserved for future discussions. :rolleyes:

WTG luvmybc's. We're so glad you stuck around and kept bird-dogging the issue until you "got it". You're not alone. I didn't feel any need to breed when I came here. BUT, there were many things that my eyes were opened to by coming here and I'm so glad I did. The good news is, once people like you and I begin to understand the things they're trying to teach us, we have the opportunity to go into the trenches too! From there we will do whatever we can to help the ones who are trying to further the breed.

Oops - thanks for clearing that up - I had no idea (10 + years on the Net, a five year old and very large discussion forum, and I didn't know what OP meant - YIKES)

I am sorry for jumping in when I was so far off target.

FWIW - in my forums, I do not allow the OP to edit after 2 hours, or delete their thread EVER, just because this has happened to my forums - Mods or Admins can edit at any time, but the originator has just two hours.

My bad..

Hey all-I've been lurking on this topic. I usually don't have much to say on topic's like this because I know there are a bunch of you out there (Rebecca, Vicki, etc that will usually respond a lot better than I can and have a lot mroe experience than I do-please keep up your postings when these topic's arise).