BC Boards

Coat-saving collars?

Yes, this is petty and cosmetic. But I only have one life to live, and I like pretty dogs. :)

Keeper's allergies have gone away, and he's definitely growing his first big boy winter coat. As a result, he is getting a BEAUTIFUL thick lion's mane.

But my collars are breaking it. He's been naked almost all summer, and his hair looks great. But once I put a collar on it starts rubbing his skin and breaking his hair. I love the look of a bare necked dog, but I really feel uncomfortable letting him go without a collar. He's microchipped, but I think a collar for quick identification is really important.

I never use a collar for walking. I never use a leash. So it's not like he needs a heavy duty collar. He just needs something small, smooth or otherwise hair friendly, with a tag. Although he's not crated, I also give a strong preference to collars that can break, twist, or otherwise come off in case he gets hung up on something. I can leave collars fairly loose since I don't use them for walking, though.

I know it seems stupid. But I really love his pretty mane and hate seeing his hair all broken and frizzy. :( I definitely prefer having some sort of identification on him, so his days of running naked are coming to an end.

Anyone have a solution?

It's not just you- in the archives this comes up a lot. Nothing wrong with it! The very existence of most collar companies shows people want something pretty, not necessarily just the same ol', one-color.

I haven't used them myself but in the archives people suggest rolled collars? Apparently they help. Totally agree with you on a collar for quick identification.

Satin covered martingale. I get mine from collarsbymickey on etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CollarsByMickey

Cotton covered will work too, or ROLLED leather. Just stay away from nylon.

ETA: Since you're not using it from walking, ignore that martingale suggestion. It'd still be okay, but try a rolled leather tag collar. Tons of them out there.

I find it is loose collars rubbing as the dog moves that break the coat. Collars that are on appropriately snug do not do this. All my dogs wear collars 24x7 365 day a year. You just can not predict when something is going happen and them having ID on gives me piece of mind. The collars have nothing dangling to get snagged and are snug enough a dog would have to work to get it caught.

I have used rolled leather collars and they do not mat the hair underneath them as some collars can

I, too, prefer a looser collar that a dog can pull out of if necessary. (Not to mention that I don't like tight stuff around my neck, so prefer not to put tight things on my dogs' necks either.) I have had good luck with rolled leather collars on long coated dogs. Too be honest, though, the Gundog Supply K9 Komfort center-ring collar my only rough coated dog wears does not seem to have broken or matted the hair around her neck, But you don't need something like that if you just want something to hang tags from. I also use only 3/4" collars, FWIW.

J.

Me too on the rolled leather collars. Both my dogs (two roughies), the older one has had the same collar going on almost ten years now. I give the dogs a bath 3 or 4 times a year and when I do I just throw the collars in the washer, tags and all and then let them dry on their own before putting them back on. But that's the only time my boys are collar-less.

I have quite a few nylon/ribbon matringales for my dogs. I like that they can hang loose but if I need to take hold of one, they are less likely to get away from me. They are soft on the neck fur. I've noticed no coat breakage. That said, I have lots of leather/buckle collars as well. It's a problem (addiction).

I use 3/4" nylon buckle collars and have no problem with breakage. I've used leather collars in the past with the same result.

I can't help but wonder if for some reason Keeper's fur is just more frangible than most, especially if you're using the same kind of collar that many other people are. If that's the case, I have no idea what might help. I'd probably try a rolled collar to see if it helps.