BC Boards

Cedarcide as a tick preventative?

Hello Folks,

Just curious if anybody has used this product to help prevent ticks. I live in Virginia and do walks in/around woods. Strangely haven't found any ticks on my Luke, but have found them one on me. Luckily it was a big tick, and not the smaller kind that typically invoke Lyme disease.

I'm researched the forums about Frontline but haven't seen any mention of this product.

It was recommended to me by somebody who really wants to avoid some of the harsh chemicals on their dogs (fear of cancer) and who has rescued lots of dogs.

http://www.cedarcide.com/product/das-domestic-animal-spray/

But I'm always so confused between the science, and the anecdotes and the reality.

I just want something that protects my dog from the horrible (lyme) disease but also feel good that I'm not harming him while protecting him from this harm.

I've learned with Medicine/Science - that sometimes drugs like Frontline can just 'shift symptoms' - they prevent somethings but cause other problems. But maybe that's the same with a natural approach.

Confused,

-Willie

I use a product called Evolv by Wondercide. It's 10% cedar wood oil. I've been happy with it for flea protection, but I've never seen a tick around us (Northern California). Its very fragrant, so you have to enjoy the scent, and I find I have to apply it every few days during the summer months.

It was recommended to me by somebody who really wants to avoid some of the harsh chemicals on their dogs (fear of cancer) and who has rescued lots of dogs.

I just want something that protects my dog from the horrible (lyme) disease but also feel good that I'm not harming him while protecting him from this harm.

I used to do some work with essential oils and know that they are certainly not all as benign as many people believe them to be. They're strong chemicals that can carry risks.

I don't recall cedar as being one of the EOs that's especially tick repellent. AFAIK, rose geranium is the only one that has much efficacy there, and in my experience it's limited.

Cedar and its oil have been used for a very long time to repel fleas. Even before I started working with EOs I remember reading cautions on its use.

HEALTH HAZARD DATA

There is a slight fire and explosion hazard when exposed to heat or flame. It is used in perfumes and insecticides and is a mild irritant and allergen. It has been used to induce abortions, sometimes with fatal results. It is a narcotic and may affect the kidneys. Acute exposure to the skin may result in irritation. It will irritate the eyes, possibly severely. Inhalation may irritate the respiratory tract with heavy exposure causing dizziness, headache and nausea. Prolonged exposure may cause kidney damage. Ingestion will irritate the gastrointestinal tract, bladder and kidneys and may cause headache, dizziness and nausea. The results may be fatal.

HANDLING and GENERAL PRECAUTIONS

Avoid skin and eye contact.

Avoid inhalation or ingestion.

Keep away from heat or naked flames.

Can induce an allergic response in sensitised individuals.

Do not store close to strong oxidants.

Exposure limits have not been established for cedarwood oil, however it should always be handled in a well ventilated area. If exposure levels are expected to be high use a respirator. Wear protective clothing. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard. Neoprene or nitrile gloves should be used. (http://www.ihcworld.com/royellis/ABCSafe/chemicals/cedarwood-oil.htm)

Some of the things I've seen passing for "safe and natural" in EO uses -- like raindrop therapy -- make me cringe. The clove oil in one of the popular natural insect sprays for dogs makes me positively twitchy. I wouldn't put it on my dogs if you paid me.

Don't get me wrong; EOs can be great when used properly. But don't be fooled into thinking that they're all completely harmless substances.

I know that at some point there was some concern about the phenolic compounds in cedar oil possibly causing health problems, at least in animals (dogs and small mammals). I don't have time to search for any real scientific studies on the subject, but I wouldn't count on cedar oil to repel ticks and I'd be careful of using it. If you have cats, please remember that they can be especially sensitive to essential oils.

J.