BC Boards

Nail clipper recommendation

Does anybody have any recommendations for nail clippers a person with tendonitis in their thumbs and wrist can use? The Dremel is out. DH caught some of Josie’s fur in it one time and we haven’t been able to use it since. I can’t say I blame her. I wouldn’t want it near me again either.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

All I can think of is the 'board covered in sandpaper' approach. I've only read about it, but some people have planks with sandpaper covers which they train the dogs to scratch their nails off vigorously. It's like a nightly ritual, keeps the nails worn down so you don't have to cut them in the first place.

Does anybody have any recommendations for nail clippers a person with tendonitis in their thumbs and wrist can use? The Dremel is out. DH caught some of Josie’s fur in it one time and we haven’t been able to use it since. I can’t say I blame her. I wouldn’t want it near me again either.

Thanks in advance.

Something with longer handles and very sharp blades to minimize the force needed to cut. Millers Forge makes the best quality pliers type clippers out there.

Josie may not let you try again, but if you have a hairy dog you can stuff a paw through and old knee high and the nails pop through and the fur stays protected, May be worth the try if your hands are hurting,

Otherwise, might be worth not hurting your hands to get Petsmart or the vet to do it for you.

All I can think of is the 'board covered in sandpaper' approach. I've only read about it, but some people have planks with sandpaper covers which they train the dogs to scratch their nails off vigorously. It's like a nightly ritual, keeps the nails worn down so you don't have to cut them in the first place.

This has been working well for Kieran, at least the front nails. Although, it's a pain to get the back legs. I've heard you can shape a back leg kick and capture it against the board. So far, Kieran just steps onto the board instead of scratching. Luckily, Kieran is a particularly heavy sleeper so I've been doing them when he's snoring away. That isn't something I'd suggest to other people though.

Thanks for the replies, you guys. Jake and Josie don't have a backyard to play in now. We've moved and we're living in our camper until we find a house we want to buy. The roads at the front of the campgrounds are paved so I've been walking the dogs on them as much as possible hoping that will help keep their nails trimmed some. In the meantime it sounds like I need to make some phone calls to groomers and do some research on where to buy a pair of Millers Forge clippers. I know where we used to live most of the groomers wouldn't accept dogs over 35 lbs. Hopefully, they're different down here but I won't know until I call and ask.