BC Boards

Registration, IBCA, health...

Could someone please tell me what ROM stands for? I put a search in on this sight but did not get any results.

The other thing I am concerned about is that I have been in contact with Brystol Recknor about the possibility of buying a puppy from her. Is she somehow connected to Swofford and Ann Harrison. She says her puppies are registrable and are registered with IBCA. Are the puppies from Brystol "suspect" in some way?

Rorys mom, I don't know if you already had it, but I found a website for Brystol Reckner. http://drawn2thee.blogspot.com/p/border-collies.html

It lists an email address on the side in the facebook badge thing.

Welcome! This is a terrific site to learn about Border Collies. Before you go any further, have you read "Read this first"? Please do as it will explain the philosophy of this board.

ROM is "registered on merit" or the way that an unregistered animal that has proven its value as a working dog (the tests are quite stringent) can receive a registration number and his/her offspring can be registered with ABCA or another reputable registry (like ISDS in the British Isles).

I don't know Brystol Recknor, but I'd say that anyone who produces pups that will be registered with IBCA is someone that I would absolutely not consider getting a pup from. That registry was founded by people who were disbarred from ABCA for fraudulent or otherwise unethical practices, and that says enough to me to say run, don't walk away.

In addition, I see she advertises on pupcity.com. Anyone who advertises pups on that sort of site, Craigslist, etc., is not someone who anyone here would consider a responsible breeder. And a brief glimpse at her blog (listed above) shows a lot of color, another red flag.

Dear Doggers,

I think it was Mark Twain who told the story of two travelers who had to share a hotel room (may have been share a bed). When one knelt beside the bed and prayed at great length for his new found friend, Twain suggested the man should "grab his wallet and run."

Donald McCaig

Dear Doggers,

I think it was Mark Twain who told the story of two travelers who had to share a hotel room (may have been share a bed). When one knelt beside the bed and prayed at great length for his new found friend, Twain suggested the man should "grab his wallet and run."

Donald McCaig

Lol, reminds me of Ishmael's quote in Moby Dick: "Better to sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian."

Ik the dog has to be ABCA reg to get the money at national. If the dog that win isnt registered what happens to the money? Does it just go to the next available registered dog? Held to next year where the prize will be xtra big? Or just put to a different use?

Ik the dog has to be ABCA reg to get the money at national. If the dog that win isnt registered what happens to the money? Does it just go to the next available registered dog? Held to next year where the prize will be xtra big? Or just put to a different use?

It goes to the next available registered dog.