BC Boards

Unfortunately, I live in Central Florida where opportunities are few

Gideon's girl

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WooHoo!! I just heard back about the Nigel Watkins lessons!

So from all you people who have a clue, I have this question. The dog I'm taking to the lessons is a 2 1/2yo. I'm planning on having my lesson broken into 2 half hour lessons, neither Micah or I can handle more at one time at this point, I think. But should I sign up for a lesson on Saturday and another on Sunday(what I want to do) or will that be too much for us beginners?

That's how I did Celt's and my hour with Scott, a half-hour on each of two days.

I never managed to work Celt like either Scott or Jack or Kathy did, but each showed me what he was capable of doing and what I could strive for, in addition to teaching me what I could absorb.

And that's exactly what I'm hoping for!! I'm definitely one of those that needs to see how it's done for me to start learning the process. No finished products here. Plus, I would love to see someone show me what his potential might be, or just tell me based on what they see.

I'm wondering if I should sign up for 2 half hours on Saturday and 2 on Sunday though. I may not have the opportunity for another lesson for quite some time.

Oh, two per day. That's a lot but if you and your dog can handle it...

I'm more concerned about your dog's ability to handle that much input in a short time but you'll have the be the judge of that. I hope someone who really knows what they are talking about can give you some feedback on the feasibility of that much training in two days.

I forget, how old is the dog you'd be taking to the clinic and how much training has he/she had so far? Sorry but I'm a bit distracted and don't recall.

He's 2 1/2 yo and very fit, so physically he should be able to handle it. It wouldn't phase me/disappoint me at all, if after 20 minutes he needed to stop. We would just stop. Or if on the second day, we decided not to do the final session.

Training wise, he helps me with chores on the farm like gathering and penning the goats and keeping the steer off of me while I'm dumping feed and he helped me move the steer too, before the steer went in the freezer. But no formal/professional training. Agility doesn't count.

I agree with Sue. Go for 2 sessions a day if that is a feasible option for you ..just watch out for signs that may indicate that your dog is getting mentally tired.. But from your description, IMO I don't think this will be a problem.

YMMV

Enjoy the clinic

I was thinking more of mental exhaustion than physical. He seems very well-prepared for the physical aspect although mental exhaustion can manifest itself in physical symptoms.

I am sure that with a trainer of Nigel's qualifications, he will be prepared to tailor the lesson to yours and your dog's level, and you should not have anything to worry about. Most lessons are just like that, work a bit, stop and talk and rest the dog a bit, work a bit, stop and talk and rest the dog a bit, and so on.

When I took Dan for some training, both here in the East and where he was bred, that's just how it went - over the course of a half-hour or hour, depending, and maybe two or three times a day in the case of training with his breeder, we work and break, and work and break. The discussions during the rest breaks (for both Dan and me) were some of the most instructive moments because we would discuss what had been done, and how to progress.

Enjoy!

Hi Mr. Donald

I wish it were so, but I'll be at the one in FL the following weekend. It would be wonderful to meet, in person, some of the good folk I have come to know here, but I'm sure it will happen another time.

I just got word that my lessons are going to be postponed because Nigel Watkins broke a bone in his foot. I'm disappointed, but I've broke a foot bone before and didn't stay off of it and it took forever to heal completely. So I'll hope for a completely healed Nigel at a later date.

Well, I'm not just going to sit around waiting and hope I hear about something, I have plans for several weekend trips that will hopefully at least lead to more contacts. And I'm moving forward with my plan to get sheep in the spring. I have an invitation to practice on someone else's sheep, too.

I'm still very much looking forward to lessons, but I'm looking for the next chance at a clinic or more lessons too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from the Patrick Shannahan clinic. Thanks everyone for the advice I've heard repeatedly telling us newbies to audit your first clinic. I listened and I had a great time and learned so much, and as you said, I didn't have to worry about being distracted by my dog. I'm very excited to attend a clinic or lessons with my dog now though.

I learned that for where my dogs are at, they are doing OK. I learned how to handle a couple problems that I have been seeing, and that they are related. I learned about letting my dog make mistakes so he can learn from them, instead of trying to avoid all mistakes. I learned about some of the next steps I can take. Most of the beginners there had the exact same issues that I do.

And of course I was reminded of something that is so simple, yet so profound. My dog should know more about reading sheep and stockwork than I ever should, so of course I should let him be responsible for doing just that. Stop being a control freak.

I was so excited when I got home earlier today, that I immediately went to work on my sheep pen.