BC Boards

Crate training ( vent)

I hate it~~~ but Tuck needs it especially later. He had been doing really good with potty training. He whines and cries in his crate. Dh (fussy gus0 complains if the whining interferes with his sleep. So I'm trying to crate train during the day.

Have you actually trained your pup to like the crate? Some people just put a pup in a crate and expect things to go smoothly - sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.

If you haven't trained your pup to like the crate, here's how I do it with some of my foster dogs/pups:

1. feed dog in the crate (start w/ door open and then gradually leave it closed for longer and longer periods

2. periodically during the day toss yummy treats - like cheese or liver pieces - in the back of the crate and show the pup where they are

3. Confine dog/pup in an exercise pen or another room when you can't watch him until the dog/pup is comfortable in the crate.

4. Take small steps - going fast can actually slow you down because the positive association with the crate isn't quite as strong.

Another way to get a dog to like the crate while still using it for confinement is to give the dog/pup a special treat or toy (like a stuffed Kong) only when he/she is in the crate. I've found this works quite well, but it's harder with a little pup since they'll need to go out to potty soon after because of the additional food.

Hope this helps.

Big Help... Thank you. I'm trying to take it slow. So far longest he has been in is maybe 3 hours ( just under 3) when I took kids to school and so forth. When I came home, praise and out to potty. Other than that short stays in and toy with him. Truthfully, I think he is doing good with it ( although he would prefer to sleep under my bed or next to my couch). It is just a pesky husband who isn't good with it. Frankly, he would leave Tuck under the bed chewing on bed or whatever than have his sleep distrubed. I on the other hand would prefer loss of sleep in order to have a Good member of the family. Once again thanks for the tips. They definetly give me an idea of how to proceed.

Are you using the crate to confine him at night? Or only during the day? I think the night-time crating helps solidify the "den" concept with dogs and puppies.

My first real crate experience has been with Willow and Tenaya over this past year (got both as pups, 4 months apart). After this, I would never NOT crate train!

From the very beginning, they were confined to crates overnight (with an every-3-hours potty schedule to start...we set the alarm and took turns taking them out for a few weeks). Their crates were (and are) in our bedroom at night, positioned so they can see us on our bed.

Tenaya had some crate exposure before we got her at 13 weeks. She cried a little the first night, which we just ignored. Willow was completely new to it when we put her in her crate to ride home (3 hours) at age 11 weeks. She cried and wimpered the first night or 2. Again, we ignored it. Just like with a new baby, you have to expect to lose some sleep.

We taught both pups to "go to bed" by throwing a couple treat bits into the crate and praising them when they went in. "Treat bits" means things like tiny 1/4" cubes of dried liver, cheese or Rollover (a doggy sausage). We continued to reinforce with treats intermittently for 2 or 3 months. We also fed them in the crates a couple times a week, especially when they were young (a good place to keep them eating from their own bowls, with 2 young pups).

For any extended day-time crating (up to 4 hours, but infrequently), they get a stuffed bone or Kong and other chew toys. I work all day away from home, but my husband has been home writing up a graduate thesis so he could keep an eye on the pups most of the time. He used an X-pen in office when they were tiny. Now if they want to sleep in his office, they will usually crawl under the desk (close to a crate/den feeling, I guess).

They also are crated in the car. That's just "how it is and always has been" so they don't mind.

Now they will sleep in their crates even if we leave the doors open at night. Occasionally if we don't bring the crates in at night, usually if my husband is out of town and I don't feel like lugging them up the stairs, they take a while to settle down and keep circling where the crates would usually be. I know they are more secure sleeping in the crates at night, than without.

We never used the crates as punishment (punishment is very ineffective in any case). But we definitely were consistent about using the crates and ignoring any whining, barking or crying.

They still would rather not be crated during the day but it is the only time they get the BIG treat (stuffed Kong), so they will still go willingly "to bed".

Deanna in OR

My BC did pretty good with crate. I did everything MaggieDog mentioned earlier. Another thing I did that helped later on is to make her sit in the crate before I release her. And I did not praise her after I released. I didn't want her to think leaving the crate was such a wonderful thing. I just quietly released her and took her potty, and that's when I praised her. I also carried the crate everywhere I went. Put her right next to me until she was comfortable.

My bf's lab was never crate trained because he was against it and it was his dog. When I secretely tried him when my bf wasn't home, he freaked out! Recently, I started taking him to training sites with BC, He had to be in crate. He started associating crate = ride & fun & meet all the doggies. He is pretty much crate trained now without going through hussel.

Good luck!

Hi

How would you all go about crate training a 2 year old dog that possibly goes #1+2 in his current kennel which is at a shelter. I don't know if this is b/c he doesn't get let out soon enough or if he's just used to living life in a pen so he's learned he can just go...

but then I keep reading dogs don't want to soil there own spaces.

Thanks

kIm

How would you all go about crate training a 2 year old dog that possibly goes #1+2 in his current kennel which is at a shelter. I don't know if this is b/c he doesn't get let out soon enough or if he's just used to living life in a pen so he's learned he can just go...

but then I keep reading dogs don't want to soil there own spaces.

Thanks

kIm

Assuming that his kennel at the shelter is much bigger than a crate--just make sure the crate is only big enough for him, to stand and turn around. They won't normally soil if it means they have to lie in it.

I would also take him out frequently for potty breaks, on a leash, with LOTS of praise/treats/toys for going....just like a puppy.....extending the time in crate over a few days.

Deanna in OR