BC Boards

Early Spay and neuter

What age did you all fix your pups at? Ours are getting fixed in two weeks. The male right now is 16 weeks and the female is currently 14 weeks. They told us their shouldn't be any bad side effects of fixing them this young. But I'm kind of worried because it is surgery- especially on the female as it is alot more invasive and complicated. (I used to volunteer at a vet back in the 80's and helped with the surgeries.

Dazzle was spayed at just under 7 months I think.

She was ready to run and play the next day and did great healing up. The only hard thing is keeping a puppy calm until the stitches come out! :rolleyes:

our new puppy (lothlorien) is only 4 weeks (and she's soooo cute) sorry I had to say that, but the people at the pound said that typical is about 6mo old, then they are good weight and growth, yada yada.... of course thats the pound not a vet but they do fix lots of animals so I guess they might know what they are talking about :rolleyes:

I believe Zoe was done at around or just over 8 weeks old, while she was at the pound. Same with my brother's dog, Tessa. Oreo was done at 6 months old, at the vet's recommendation, and Zeeke was done after 1 year old, after we adopted him and got rid of his kennel cough.

If left to my own devices I'd wait until 6 months. But I don't have a problem with pups getting fixed at 8 weeks at the rescue/shelter before being adopted out.

Yeah I know they bounce back quicker from surgery when they are young. But I hear alot about the risk of urinary incontinence in the females when spayed young.

Also just wondering, when a male is fixed this young, do they still learn to lift their leg?

There may be an increased risk of urinary incontinence starting earlier in life if she's spayed younger but every dog is different.

As for the male, he may be less likely to lift his leg, but part of that depends on how dominant he is. We had our aussie done at 5.5 months and he still doesn't mark with his leg right up. He lifts it a bit but not very high. Some dogs even if they're done around 6-7 months never lift their leg if they are a more submissive dog.