BC Boards

Breeder References?

Well, here goes. Although this may seem very soon, my husband and I have pretty much decided that we would like to bring another Border Collie puppy into our household.

I would love to support a good working breeder, and would very much welcome any references for good breeders in the Pennsylvania/Maryland area. I am willing to travel a goodly distance beyond that, but it is my preference not to have a puppy shipped, so the mid-Atlantic or northeast region would be best.

I do need to find a breeder who is supportive of selling to a sport home, as this will be a performance dog.

I'll jump in with this now because I know how these conversations are apt to go - to those who will suggest rescue: whatever you are going to say - I know and I live it. I currently have three rescues, two of whom are active performance dogs, one exceptionally talented, and I love them to pieces, appreciate the heck out of them, and will absolutely turn to rescue in the future. I am a huge supporter of rescue, and will always rescue the vast majority of my dogs.

But this time around we do want to raise a Border Collie puppy of known origin, so unless anyone hears of a specific puppy in rescue (under 4 months at the very least, preferably under 3 months) with known parentage, that is just not what we are looking to do this time.

Private replies would be welcomed. We are not looking for someone with puppies right this minute, but I am interested in talking to any breeders who might be willing to speak with us.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations. Again, I know this is soon, but remember, our Maddie has been gone for over two years, so in a way looking to bring a new dog into our household isn't as sudden as all that. I've been thinking about it for quite some time.

Kristine - Everyone is different in how they deal with loss and how they become ready for someone new in their life. When Skye was killed and his breeder told me that night that she'd like to give me a puppy, I couldn't even think about it only because I was so consumed with shock and grief (this was a sudden, totally unexpected loss). By the next evening, after Skye had been buried and I'd had a day of tears and denial and acceptance, I was ready for that puppy. I wanted that puppy in my arms and to lick my face and to fill the void that I was feeling over Skye's loss. Other people are not ready for months or years. And, as you said, this has been a consideration already.

I say, "Go for it!" Be happy! Remember Speedy with joy and tears. Enjoy a new life in your household.

PS - If you want a good, working-bred pup, people I'd ask in the PA/MD area about possible pups or references would be Mark & Renee Billadeau, Linda Tesdahl, Nancy Obernier, Sue Asten, Deb Mickey, Cheryl Jagger-Williams, and Carla King. Nancy, Sue, and Deb are on FB. Mark and Renee are here (Pipedream Farm). You could get contact info for the others by inquiring at Sheepdog-L. These are all good, trustworthy people who respect and know good working dogs, and I don't think any of them would object to the kind of active and loving pet/sport home you would offer.

Dear Kristine,
In my experience, only breeders assured of placing every one of their pups with trial people or on farms refuse to sell to a dog savvy agility person. One of my grandpups is running in agility today. Many, like myself wouldn't want them AKC reg unless they were spayed first.

That said, while sheepdoggers do have pups and a very few have too many pups, most (like myself) breed only when they want a replacement. To put it differently, I don't know a single "breeder" I'd recommend who'd certainly have a pup right now.

Getting a pup isn't hopeless and you can do it but you'll need to forget about a list of names you can interview, vet and visit. You'll need to meet and become at least slightly familiar with the sheepdog community.

You can do that at sheepdog trials and sheepdog clinics which you can attend as a spectator for a modest fee. This Saturday and Sunday is the Judging Clinic at Edgeworth :South from Gordonsville va until the high tension lines cross the road, turn in WILSON'S on your right. There'll be some high quality dogs there.

The next trial is in Goldvein Va, January 25th. The dog/handler teams won't be as experienced but you'll see some dogs you like. GPS:12832 Blackwells Mill Road, Goldvein, VA 22720.

Donald McCaig

But this time around we do want to raise a Border Collie puppy of known origin, so unless anyone hears of a specific puppy in rescue (under 4 months at the very least, preferably under 3 months) with known parentage, that is just not what we are looking to do this time.

Funny you say that. I just ran across this a couple days ago:

http://bordercollierescuewesttennessee.com/wp/?page_id=3078

I believe she also has a brother available. I don't know what "champion lines" they're talking about, or if the distance would even be feasible for you, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Best of luck in your search, can't wait to see pictures!

Kristine - Everyone is different in how they deal with loss and how they become ready for someone new in their life. When Skye was killed and his breeder told me that night that she'd like to give me a puppy, I couldn't even think about it only because I was so consumed with shock and grief (this was a sudden, totally unexpected loss). By the next evening, after Skye had been buried and I'd had a day of tears and denial and acceptance, I was ready for that puppy. I wanted that puppy in my arms and to lick my face and to fill the void that I was feeling over Skye's loss. Other people are not ready for months or years. And, as you said, this has been a consideration already.

I say, "Go for it!" Be happy! Remember Speedy with joy and tears. Enjoy a new life in your household.

Thank you - I definitely appreciate that.

PS - If you want a good, working-bred pup, people I'd ask in the PA/MD area about possible pups or references would be Mark & Renee Billadeau, Linda Tesdahl, Nancy Obernier, Sue Asten, Deb Mickey, Cheryl Jagger-Williams, and Carla King. Nancy, Sue, and Deb are on FB. Mark and Renee are here (Pipedream Farm). You could get contact info for the others by inquiring at Sheepdog-L. These are all good, trustworthy people who respect and know good working dogs, and I don't think any of them would object to the kind of active and loving pet/sport home you would offer.

I know Sue Asten and had planned to contact her, and I will definitely do that.

Thanks for the other references, too! I appreciate that.

Funny you say that. I just ran across this a couple days ago:

http://bordercollierescuewesttennessee.com/wp/?page_id=3078

I believe she also has a brother available. I don't know what "champion lines" they're talking about, or if the distance would even be feasible for you, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Best of luck in your search, can't wait to see pictures!

Thanks for the reference. I appreciate it!!

Dear Kristine,

In my experience, only breeders assured of placing every one of their pups with trial people or on farms refuse to sell to a dog savvy agility person. One of my grandpups is running in agility today. Many, like myself wouldn't want them AKC reg unless they were spayed first.

That said, while sheepdoggers do have pups and a very few have too many pups, most (like myself) breed only when they want a replacement. To put it differently, I don't know a single "breeder" I'd recommend who'd certainly have a pup right now.

Getting a pup isn't hopeless and you can do it but you'll need to forget about a list of names you can interview, vet and visit. You'll need to meet and become at least slightly familiar with the sheepdog community.

You can do that at sheepdog trials and sheepdog clinics which you can attend as a spectator for a modest fee. This Saturday and Sunday is the Judging Clinic at Edgeworth :South from Gordonsville va until the high tension lines cross the road, turn in WILSON'S on your right. There'll be some high quality dogs there.

The next trial is in Goldvein Va, January 25th. The dog/handler teams won't be as experienced but you'll see some dogs you like. GPS:12832 Blackwells Mill Road, Goldvein, VA 22720.

Donald McCaig

I definitely intend to neuter, although I would like to wait until the puppy reaches maturity. But that will absolutely happen. I'm not looking to AKC register, either.

Traveling to some trials might be an option in the spring and it is an avenue that I will seriously consider. My husband would probably enjoy that, as well.

Thank you, very much, for the info!!

I believe she also has a brother available.

Yep. Rex http://bordercollierescuewesttennessee.com/wp/?page_id=3065

I agree . . . to each her or his own time. I only ever worry about people who are looking to "replace" a dog they've lost, expecting it to be the same, and it's obvious from what I've read from you on the Boards that you're not that kind of person. :)

Good luck finding your new companion.

I agree . . . to each her or his own time. I only ever worry about people who are looking to "replace" a dog they've lost, expecting it to be the same, and it's obvious from what I've read from you on the Boards that you're not that kind of person. :)

Good luck finding your new companion.

I am definitely expecting a unique individual. :) And even though I have some hopes as to what he or she will do with me performance-wise, I also know that I will be learning the dog and his or her preferences and individual talents before those decisions are made.

So yes - definitely not looking to replace Speedy. And I never could expect another dog to be like him, even if I could.

And, thank you.

Hi Kristine,

I think your best bet as far as a working breeder in that area that will sell to a sport home is Cheryl and Dick Williams. Super nice people and about 3.5 hours from you. They have a winter farm in Florida so wouldn't be home for you to meet them or their dogs now. You can see their website here, but keep in mind the dogs' pages aren't necessarily kept up to date:

http://www.jaggerwilliamsbordercollies.com

In NY are Heather and Roger Millen who would sell to a sport home, I believe. Also really nice people but I don't think they have many litters. Here is their website:

http://fetchgatefarm.com

Hope this helps.

I got my pup from Circle L Stock dogs in Chandling, Arizona. They are not a breeder, and I don't know that I'd want a pup from just a "breeder" because that makes me think they're more interested in the sale of dogs rather than the lineage they come from. Both of my pups parents are working stock dogs on a ranch. You may want to look in your area for a rancher with working stock dogs. I couldn't be happier with my border collie pup. She's intense, serious and highly trainable. The best dog I've ever had.

Thanks, Emily! I will definitely look into both of those!

Marley Girl, we don't really have ranches where I live. I would imagine there may be farms where Border Collies actively work stock, but I am not personally acquainted with anyone who uses their dogs for stock work on farms per se who also breeds.

So, I appreciate the references I've gotten, both on the board and by PM.

Why don't you talk to Jack Knox. He is here in Missouri but he travels to the East coast a lot for trials and clinics. He sells his pups to sport people.

I know when I got Tommy from him he drove her up and I met him at the airport. He had another puppy that he was flying with him to the East Coast. I think he was going to a clinic.