BC Boards

A new one for me and Gibbs

I fixed myself some baked broccoli for dinner - broccoli florets drizzled w/olive oil and a little garlic, baked at 375 for 20 min or so. Left the plate on the counter while I ate my meal, but heard a funny sound from the kitchen right after I sat down.

On my return to the kitchen, I see Gibbs skulking away from the counter where the plate of broccoli was. And I also see that there is less broccoli on the plate than I remembered.

He has never in the 3 years I've had him done anything remotely like this. And for broccoli no less.

These dogs are very strange.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Mine have had some very strange tastes. I used to train Rievaulx with cut of bits of asparagus and zucchini and I thought it was cute until I heard crunching when I was weeding and he was eating my very limited amount of asparagus out of the bed. Brody hated veg and fruit until we were coming home one day and I grabbed a pint of blueberries as a snack for the drive, he insisted we shared them, and he continued to love blueberries but nothing else in the fruit and veg family. It has made me really realize that they have their own taste and preferences.

Bute loved veggies - special favorites were raw zucchini and cucumber. Not tomatoes, although I have known tomato-loving dogs (our relatives' Irish Setters - maybe it was to keep their coats red :P ). Also raw or cooked carrots, beans, peas. He liked a great variety of veggies, and also fruit - oranges and apples. I often wonder how much of Bute's sort of strange eating habits were due to his digestive issues.

The funny thing is that Celt never, ever looked at fruit while Bute was alive (he did like some veggies but cooked, please) but when I first went to eat an orange after Bute's death, Celt was right by my knee, begging for a piece. And he's still there every time I eat an orange. Go figure.

Guess there's a new treat for the treat pouch!

I wonder if it was the oil and garlic . . . the point being that it may be a kid of messy treat. :o

But, yes, they do have their individual tastes. Tansy will eat almost anything, including wasabi, horseradish and hot Chinese mustard. The only things I've found so far that she won't eat are fresh parsley and celery leaves, though she loves celery stalks.

Bodhi likes apples, but only some varieties. :rolleyes: The apple grower at the farmers' market has great fun giving Bodhi samples of different types to see which ones he likes. He's sold a few extra apples from time to time based on Bodhi's preferences. B)

Not very garlicky at all. And it was cold, I actually baked it the day before and had just gotten it out of the fridge and set it on the counter. No wafting of yummy odors going on.

I decided to mix a little of it, chopped fine, into the kibble mush I use for his frozen kongs. We'll see how he likes that!

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Dan, who is tall and therefore can easily give a sniff towards the counter or the table, has never taken anything not offered to him - until yesterday morning, when I made the mistake of putting the stinky fish treats on the table for a few minutes while I did dog exercises. He carefully put up a paw and ate the treats slowly and delightedly - but the slobber on the table and the fishy breath gave him away. He got a good scolding and I think he'll do better in the future, although I will not take it for granted as I have in the past!

All our dogs have been trustworthy enough to leave food on the counters, table and even coffee table but occassionally there is a lapse. Brody was obsessed with cheese, and at Christmas last year I had a cheese board on the coffee table before we sat down to eat, well let's just say there was lots of food and wine consumed and eventually one of our guests who are always amazed that we can leave food around (they have labs with no manners) pointed out that a single block of cheese had gone. There was no disturbance to the rest of the food on the board, he just selected his favorite one and left the rest alone which included salami and prosciutto.

Bear loves fruits and veggies. Meg will eat them to keep Bear from having them but you can tell she doesn't really like them and is trying hard not to spit it out as she chews. If he's not around she's much more selective, taking only carrots, green beans, and squash.

Bear's nose is counter height and he will snatch whatever he wants when no one is looking. Meg has much better manners and I don't think she's ever taken anything that wasn't offered to her first.

Clever Brody!! :ph34r:

Very smart, Brody - he was hoping no one would notice just one measly cheese.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

That is just what we thought :) another of his stunts was to help himself to one Macdouble, my husband would always buy two burgers one for him one for which ever dogs were with him. I took him two Macdoubles and an apple pie (he loves junk food) and I got out the truck and started chatting, maybe 15 minutes went by and when Dave went to get his lunch, one burger had been removed from the bag, the wrapper was neatly laying on the front seat, the other burger and apple pie untouched. Brody was just tired of waiting. (I leave groceries in the truck and they have never been touched)

He has been gone a year and we both miss him like no other dog, he was just this charming amusing and very weird little dog, who's nickname was Dr Sheldon Cooper.