BC Boards

Jogging

So, simple question. I would just like to know if jogging(10-12 minute mile, if we're being honest it's more like 2/3 jog 1/3 walk) about two miles a day is too much for a 16 week old pup. One mile in the morning, one mile at night. Just walking doesn't even put a dent in his energy levels.

Right now we go for a walk in the morning, feed him his breakfast as treats, play a bit, he goes in his crate for a while then we go to the park to play for about an hour. Come home crates for a while, have a meal as training treats, play, either crate or he just hangs out loose in the room with me depending on his behavior, he usually naps. Then we play for a bit, do some tricks, just hang out. then we go to the park again for about an hour before I have to go to work to tire him out, he usually gets to play with another dog, then he's crated for about 5-6 hours(let out to go potty about every 2-3 hours) then we go home go for a walk, play and he eats his dinner as treats for about an hour.

so.... Yes or no? Jogging twice a day for that amount ok?

Definitely no. He is way too young for such repetitive exercise and could suffer serious, lifelong problems as a result. You are right that a walk won't tire him out, but it is very good for his mental health. With Border Collies, it is a fine line between the right amount of activity to keep him happy and healthy and turning your dog into an exercise junkie who ends up needing 3 hours of aerobic activity a day or he goes nuts. I would stick to walks, training, and free play until your dog's growth plates have closed and he is mature and strong enough to go running with you. Also, play games that give his big brain a workout. Have him search for a hidden toy, for example. You are more likely to tire him out that way than through physical exercise.

A second no. Any sort of repetitive high-impact exercise is a recipe for damage to growing joints. It may not seem like much to you, but with little pups they should just be allowed to self-exercise. They may look like they are doing much more than they'd do on 1-mile jog, but you will see that they have short bursts of hard activity interspersed with periods of less intense activity.

My rule of thumb for pups is to let them do any play (within reason) that they initiate themselves. I don't do anything that requires the pup to do a repeated exercise activity in order to interact with me. That's when they tend to overdo things.

J.

No, my vet told me to wait until my pup was at least 8 months old to start that kind of exercise and even then to slowly build up to 1 mile of jogging until after a year old and no more than 2 miles until after a year and a half. Their bones and joints need to last their entire life.

Well then that's out the door.

Yay for me, that means "I" don't have to do it. I hate just running and was only going to do it if it was going to be good for him.

Does what we are currently doing sound like enough? On our walks is it enough now to just have him walk loose leash, or is it really important to teach him a "heel" now?

It is improtant to start teaching heel right away imo. Maybe not necessarily the whole walk, but get him used to doing it. Swimming is good exercise that is much easier on joints and growth plates. Thats about the time we introduced out Lab puppy to water. We of course had to go in the water with her and it was only calf deep water on us.

Thats about the time we introduced out Lab puppy to water. We of course had to go in the water with her and it was only calf deep water on us.

He has definitely already been in the water a few times. he's comfortable in it on his own up to chest deep and he can still walk and will swim around if I'm in the water with him. but the water up here is party frozen over now and quite frigid. I don't think he would like it now.

Does what we are currently doing sound like enough? On our walks is it enough now to just have him walk loose leash, or is it really important to teach him a "heel" now?

I certainly wouldn't expect a 16 week old pup to do an entire walk in a heel (that just seems like a forced march) but why not work on training it in little sessions throughout your walk? I think little training sessions on a walk tire my pup out more then the walk itself. We'll work on just about anything while out on a walk that has been relatively "proofed" in the house and yard.

Reading his schedule, it seems like he is getting plenty of exercise and mental stimulation. I know they seem tireless at that age, but it sounds like you've got a great routine for him!

I certainly wouldn't expect a 16 week old pup to do an entire walk in a heel (that just seems like a forced march) but why not work on training it in little sessions throughout your walk? I think little training sessions on a walk tire my pup out more then the walk itself. We'll work on just about anything while out on a walk that has been relatively "proofed" in the house and yard.

We do practice things while we're on walks. but mostly just sit and down. We'll be walking and I'll just ask him to down and he drops. Or if I stop I like to have an "automatic" sit.

For some reason he's more willing to "heel" when we're on hikes instead of just walks, he'll walk at my side, and a little behind(his head about level with my side) and I will just feed him treats as we walk as long as he's in the right place. But he doesn't seem as willing to do so on walks.

We do practice things while we're on walks. but mostly just sit and down. We'll be walking and I'll just ask him to down and he drops. Or if I stop I like to have an "automatic" sit.

For some reason he's more willing to "heel" when we're on hikes instead of just walks, he'll walk at my side, and a little behind(his head about level with my side) and I will just feed him treats as we walk as long as he's in the right place. But he doesn't seem as willing to do so on walks.

That's awesome, love that he already has an automatic "sit" and a reliable "down" while out in the big wide world. Well done!

I wouldn't stress the heel too much. He's so young and just wants to explore the world. Practice in short bursts (or take advantage of the times he offers it himself on a walk and reward that) but, IMO, I'd let him be a puppy before worrying too much about how good his heel is at 16 weeks.

Rievaulx and I started the couch to 5k program when he was about 14 months, a great intro for both of us, running with him has made it fun, but don't start till he is bigger.

Don't feel any pressure to have a proper heel. My dog knows all sorts of tricks, good house manners, competes in agility and has no clue what heel means we just don't have a use for it, what he does have is a command to walk next to me, but it's a casual just stay with me.