BC Boards

Suggestions on puppy food

Did a lot of reading and took everyone's suggestions in to account. I have been feeding Acana Wild Prairie or Ranchlands, to Phoenix and Bree for quite awhile now. And both are doing well , and are healthy with beautiful coats! both Acana brands are in the 31% - 38% protein range with 17% fat.

Wow. I know it's misleading to compare protein levels but I feed mine a working dog kibble 22% protein, 8% fat.

There's another even cheaper brand very popular amongst farmers round here with similar levels.

You can't fault my dogs' health or appearance and two of them are top level agility dogs.

If they are going to be more active for a while I will change to a higher fat content. Usually that would mean higher protein too but that wouldn't be the reason. Fat is the prime energy source for a dog.

I will up the protein and fat temporarily if I adopt a dog in poor condition.

I have been feeding the puppy Orijen (38% protein, 17% fat), but after some of the info I read here on the boards, I should keep to approx 25% protein. I really didn't want a lot of grain. The Acana has low glycemic oats but no grains which I like and it helps lower that protein.

After suggestions here and much research, it is apparently better not to feed working breed puppies too high protein, due to accelerated bone growth.

This is a myth. A very perpetuated one, but a myth none the less. It was scientifically proven about 15 years ago that protein in NOT the problem. For large breed dogs, calcium levels are a huge problem. For all dogs, excess calories are a huge problem, not protein levels.

All those raw feeders that are touting their really healthy dogs are feeding 55% or higher protein and their dogs are doing fine. Mine included.

It was scientifically proven about 15 years ago that protein in NOT the problem.

Could you quote your source please?

I agree that excess calcium is an issue for young dogs but I haven't come across anything to suggest that excess protein definitely isn't implicated at all.

All those raw feeders that are touting their really healthy dogs are feeding 55% or higher protein and their dogs are doing fine. Mine included.

But you aren't comparing like with like. 55% protein in a raw diet is not the same as 55% protein would be in a kibble based diet.

Could you quote your source please?

I agree that excess calcium is an issue for young dogs but I haven't come across anything to suggest that excess protein definitely isn't implicated at all.

Here's one.http://www.proplan.com/p5/dog-articles/nutrition-and-health/myths-about-protein

Here's another.http://animal.discovery.com/pets/protein-dogs-diet.htm

Then there's this.https://www.msu.edu/~silvar/hips.htm

And I couldn't even get on my favorite website today to find the numerous articles they have on the subject.

The protein in raw is much better utilized, so if protein level was going to be a problem then raw would be worse, not better.

Wow. I know it's misleading to compare protein levels but I feed mine a working dog kibble 22% protein, 8% fat.

There's another even cheaper brand very popular amongst farmers round here with similar levels.

You can't fault my dogs' health or appearance and two of them are top level agility dogs.

If they are going to be more active for a while I will change to a higher fat content. Usually that would mean higher protein too but that wouldn't be the reason. Fat is the prime energy source for a dog.

I will up the protein and fat temporarily if I adopt a dog in poor condition.

Lots of studies have been done on optimal fat and protein levels fed to hard working athletes. Dogs that work for long periods of time need greater than 20% fat and about 30% protein. Agility dogs don't fall into the hard working category. Not meaning to insult you, but it's the type of exercise that they engage in (short bursts of speed vs hours of running or trotting without stopping).

Drop below 20% protein and you risk soft tissue injuries. Drop too low on your fat content and you lose endurance.

GentleLake....my mistake saying "oats but no grain".... oops! I should have said the numerous "other" grains that are used as fillers and to excess in some dog foods!

Anyway... I am satisfied at this point with my choice. I am familiar with Acana products and have fed that for several years now, and my 2 older pups are doing very well indeed on Acana. Good weight, shiny coat, stools small amt and firm.....energetic and healthy!!! YEA!

So I just started to wean the puppy off of puppy food and on to adult food. So far so good!

There are just soooooo many choices out there, guess we can all just do the best we can for our dogs, which is why I take what I research, along with advice and or suggestions from people who also are doing the best for their dogs, and make a final choice!

Especially raising a new baby.... I just want her to have the advantage of everything I have learned over the years with each and everyone of my other doggies (and we have had many!).

Like the old saying goes...when ya know better....ya do better! and I am constantly learning!!!!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE AND WISDOM :)

JoeAnne, Phoenix, Bree & Rose aka: (Rosebud... <nickname) LOL! (who will be a full beautiful, healthy blossom some day!)