BC Boards

when to start "the search"

Brady turned three yesterday and I'm nine months away from earning my degree. For the last year, I've told myself that once I graduate, I'll get another collie. I want to be careful this time because I think I got extremely lucky with Brady. I'm not looking to bring anyone home immediately after I walk across the stage with my diploma, but after I've stabilized with an income and home. The two cities (Seattle and Portland) I'm looking to live in have a lot of job offers for my field and are close to family, friends, and all kinds of canine centered activities. I'm not opposed to rescue at all, but I was going to look into them a little more closer to my graduation and such. Right now I was hoping to just start conversations with people on what I'm looking for, maybe meet up with them at the Lacamas trial this upcoming August, and just really take baby steps into starting "the search."

Right now Brady and I aren't involved in any dog sports due to our location (Ellensburg isn't exactly a dog sport capital by any means), but we do a lot of obedience work at home, hiking adventures, and just playing around outside. We keep active, we keep healthy, and we keep fun!

I was also going to say start now too. whether waiting for a litter from a good breeder or looking in rescue. it took me more than a couple months to find the right dog for our little family. keep all your options open and tell those in the know (people who have good border collie contacts) that you are considering.

All reasons I wanted to get a jump!

For the rescues, I'm just worried an early application will make me want to try and adopt immediately instead of just take my time? It's probably a very naive worry of mine, I just really don't want to jump the gun.

For talking to handlers at the Lacamas trial, what is the best way to approach? Last year I kept to myself mostly because I was unsure how to just start up a conversation out of the blue. I'm not normally a shy individual but I respect beyond respect handlers at trials. You guys are the gurus so I'm never really sure how to get a conversation going.

The best way to meet people and make connections is to volunteer. You can get contact information from the USBCHA website or from www.lvsdt.com or from lvsdt@comcast.net. While there are volunteer jobs that require experience, there are also jobs that don't require experience, too.

Volunteering will enable you to meet the trial host(s) and other people putting on the trial. They can help introduce you to others who might be planning on breeding in the future.

Give it a try - it's loads of fun, you are helping out, and you are making connections!

All reasons I wanted to get a jump!

For the rescues, I'm just worried an early application will make me want to try and adopt immediately instead of just take my time? It's probably a very naive worry of mine, I just really don't want to jump the gun.

For talking to handlers at the Lacamas trial, what is the best way to approach? Last year I kept to myself mostly because I was unsure how to just start up a conversation out of the blue. I'm not normally a shy individual but I respect beyond respect handlers at trials. You guys are the gurus so I'm never really sure how to get a conversation going.

Sue's advice is great. Volunteering is a great way to meet people and learn!

When you are watching a trial set your chair up around other people. Its inevitable that you end up chatting with the people around you. Make notes about the dogs and handlers that you like.

If you get the chance, talk to Norm and Vickie Close, I believe they will be there. They are super super nice, I take lessons with them, and I'm also a very shy person. They're really easy to talk to and very genuine. Of course most people you'll meet at trials are.

If you are considering a relocation I the near future and you will need to rent, you might consider that it is signifiantly harder to locate a rental with 2 dogs vs 1 dog. If you find a dog friendly rental for your 1 dog then you have a better chance of proving you're a good renter and dog owner to your landlord and might be able to add a second dog.

I also say start now!

I know what you mean about the area and finding dog classes, but luckily seattle area has a ton of dog things! Very dog friendly area. :) Portland I hear is just as good too.

I agree, start talking to breeders and rescues, at the very least to get to know them and see what you like/don't like.

Oh and early congrats on finishing your degree soon!!!! That's exciting! :D

If you are considering a relocation I the near future and you will need to rent, you might consider that it is signifiantly harder to locate a rental with 2 dogs vs 1 dog. If you find a dog friendly rental for your 1 dog then you have a better chance of proving you're a good renter and dog owner to your landlord and might be able to add a second dog.

I've heard this before, but it has not been my experience at all. I generally find if they allow dogs at all, they generally allow a max of two. The problem in this case would be the weight limit. Finding a dog friendly rental with higher than a 20lb weight limit can be a bit tough. >_<