BC Boards

I thought I did my homework

I've been following this for a couple of days now, and hesitated to post, but...

So (to the OP), you pretty much are saying you know you "made a mistake" in choosing this pup. There is still time to NOT take this pup, and wait for a better prospect. Yet, you're going ahead?!?! (Where's that head-banging emoticon when you need it?)

I guess we're all wondering WHY. You say some sort of "family" reason? So you're already emotionally invested? You've told a child this is the pup that's coming, and can't "back out"? Both scenarios would be good "learning opportunities" as they say, so why not demonstrate some maturity in thinking and do what you seem to admit you know is the "right thing" (i.e., not get this pup)?

It sounds like you really do understand why it would not be a good idea to get this pup, so then WHY??? :blink:

A

I got Tommy sight unseen from Jack Knox. I did have an e-mail picture of her. I did not see any of the other puppies in the litter.

But Jack brought her up to me when he was on his way to the airport. He called me back on Monday morning when he was on his way back home to see if I liked her. And he would have picked her back up from me on his return trip if I hadn't been happy with her.

It worked out well for me and for my dog.

I've bought most of my puppies and acquired my rescue dogs pretty much without ever meeting them-- and, except for my first dog (rescue) -- been really pleased with my dogs and the honesty of the breeders. My first dog was a rescue sheltie with serious aggression issues who would have been put down if he had been any other breed, and the rescue folks couldn't find a dog-experienced home dumb enough to take him on. Enter yours truely. And I learned about dog training and behavior in self-defense and ended up loving my Hamish to bits. For my second dog, I wanted a nice puppy from a good breeder and went to various dog-related shows/trials approaching people who had dogs I liked. I not only asked them where their dogs were from but also asked for three other recommendations of breeders who they thought bred nice dogs and would be supportive of a novice in the breed. The same kennel names kept turning up. Went to visit one, stayed three hours, and after a very shy bitch they had bought back because they had heard she was in a bad situation agreed to come up to me for petting, we had me down a bitch puppy from their next litter. They picked her out for me and it couldn't have been a better match.

Another breeder (BC) that I got my girl from emailed me to let me know that the litter for which I had put down a deposit wasn't quite what she had hoped -- the pick male she had set aside was developing some noise sensitivies, did I want to come see him or wait for a different litter? I know my own susceptibilities to puppy charm, and chose not to meet him and ended up with a lovely bitch out of the next litter who suits me to a T.

My latest youngster is from a breeder who also steered me to a particular puppy, and who was totally right to do so -- super boy, love him to bits, and exactly what I needed. (Good rescues (currently have 2) do the same -- let them pick for you -- after you ascertain they know their stuff.)

But the one thing I have a found in trying to buy puppies who aren't local is to be honest about your needs (separate from your wants), your own deficiencies, and then look for the breeder to tell you about the potential negative sides of litter-to-be. I've been turned down by a couple of breeders because of my living situation (fair enough), but those breeders from whom I've ended up getting puppies from also told me about potential negative aspects of the breeding (Mom is a notorious barker, Mom was an escape artist who regularly managed to go over a 6 foot chain-link fence as an adolescent to get to fish pond...etc, etc.). No dog is perfect, and the breeders that tell you about their dogs' weaknesses are, IMHO, the ones most likely to do right by you.

If you are having a bad feeling about this breeder/litter, walk away. A deposit is minimal compared to vet care and training costs, and the heart-ache of having a dog who wants to be something he or she isn't capable of doing.

I've bought most of my puppies and acquired my rescue dogs pretty much without ever meeting them-- and, except for my first dog (rescue) -- been really pleased with my dogs and the honesty of the breeders. My first dog was a rescue sheltie with serious aggression issues who would have been put down if he had been any other breed, and the rescue folks couldn't find a dog-experienced home dumb enough to take him on. Enter yours truely. And I learned about dog training and behavior in self-defense and ended up loving my Hamish to bits. For my second dog, I wanted a nice puppy from a good breeder and went to various dog-related shows/trials approaching people who had dogs I liked. I not only asked them where their dogs were from but also asked for three other recommendations of breeders who they thought bred nice dogs and would be supportive of a novice in the breed. The same kennel names kept turning up. Went to visit one, stayed three hours, and after a very shy bitch they had bought back because they had heard she was in a bad situation agreed to come up to me for petting, we had me down a bitch puppy from their next litter. They picked her out for me and it couldn't have been a better match.

Another breeder (BC) that I got my girl from emailed me to let me know that the litter for which I had put down a deposit wasn't quite what she had hoped -- the pick male she had set aside was developing some noise sensitivies, did I want to come see him or wait for a different litter? I know my own susceptibilities to puppy charm, and chose not to meet him and ended up with a lovely bitch out of the next litter who suits me to a T.

My latest youngster is from a breeder who also steered me to a particular puppy, and who was totally right to do so -- super boy, love him to bits, and exactly what I needed. (Good rescues (currently have 2) do the same -- let them pick for you -- after you ascertain they know their stuff.)

But the one thing I have a found in trying to buy puppies who aren't local is to be honest about your needs (separate from your wants), your own deficiencies, and then look for the breeder to tell you about the potential negative sides of litter-to-be. I've been turned down by a couple of breeders because of my living situation (fair enough), but those breeders from whom I've ended up getting puppies from also told me about potential negative aspects of the breeding (Mom is a notorious barker, Mom was an escape artist who regularly managed to go over a 6 foot chain-link fence as an adolescent to get to fish pond...etc, etc.). No dog is perfect, and the breeders that tell you about their dogs' weaknesses are, IMHO, the ones most likely to do right by you.

If you are having a bad feeling about this breeder/litter, walk away. A deposit is minimal compared to vet care and training costs, and the heart-ache of having a dog who wants to be something he or she isn't capable of doing.

just checking, but is CKC the Continental Kennel Club or the Canadian Kennel Club? I guess in many people's eyes one is as bad as the other but I would not buy any puppy from any breeder with Continental Kennel Club puppies, because that screams "these puppies will be sold in pet stores!" to me.

CKC is Continental Kennel Club in this case, I am sure. While the Canadian Kennel Club (initials CKC also) is a valid registry for dogs in Canada, it is not the registry in Canada that is authorized to register Border Collies. That is the Canadian Border Collie Association. By law, in Canada, there can only be one registry for each recognized breed and CBCA is that registry.

So, if a person is selling "CKC-registered" Border Collie pups, they are either "registered" with a meaningless "registry" (Continental Kennel Club) that is in existence for the backyard breeder, ignorant, and puppy miller, or they are not being honest if they are implying or saying it's the Canadian Kennel Club.

However, if you are talking one of the breeds that is handled by the Canadian Kennel Club, then that would be a different story as those are legitimately registered with that organization.

Forgive me, but I'm now even more confused.

If you feel you're making a mistake but still have time to back out of it ... why on earth do you persist? Seriously. Why? Would you buy a car or a horse this way? A dog is no less an investment of your heart and time and money.

Right now, my dear, I see someone who is willfulling and knowingly ignoring their better judgement. You acknowledge numerous red flags in regards to the breeder, yet you appear to be justifying going through with this sale in some odd belief that, by telling others about your "experience," you'll ... uh... I'm not sure what. :blink:

That's like saying, "Hi, I've signed on to stuff 50 beans up my nostrils, and although I know I'll probably end up in the ER getting those beans surgically extracted, I'm going to do it anyway, because I said I would. Meanwhile, I'm going to tell everyone about my experience."

Your "experience" can stop before it starts if you just listen to yourself. You are not required to go against your best judgement and get this pup. The deal is not done, yet you talk as if it's irrevocable. I don't get that.

A foolish mistake is only foolish if one realizes the error but refuses to change course.

~ Gloria

I posted to share my experience with others. Even though I'm embarrassed to admit that I messed up, especially to a group of people who are so passionate and so knowledgeable about the breed that I love, I hope that someone who goes through the same thing in the future may see where I messed up and avoid the mistakes for themselves. ...

Gloria, most of those are still red flags for me. Picking the puppy from a photo isn't as much anymore since many people shared that it is a a fairly common practice even within the working community. I know that the logical thing to do would be to nix this puppy right now and wait for one from a better litter from a more reputable breeder.

OK so who is the breeder? we very well may know them and they maybe just fine? or maybe we can fill you in on our dealing with them?

I had a pup that I really wanted from a litter but had health issues come up so I had to back out. The breeder understood and the litter was a top litter......a good breeder will understand if you back out. One in for the money, will not.

As for the pup that I had to pass on.....the litter is fantastic and to this day, I wished I was able to get one but based on my health situation, I would not have had time to do right by the pup.

Most of the dogs I run where either picked for me or they picked me (Tess). The one I picked ended up not making the grade as an Open dog so is my right hand and farm dog. The last pup I got, the breeder picked him out for me as he has known me for over 14 years and that pup does suit me to a "T".

yes, it seems like the responsible course of action. It's possible to undo a lot of things with dogs, but bad genetics and not enough socialization in their early development is really hard to overcome.

I was just reading how adults are naturally attracted to disproportionately large heads, eyes and hands and instinctually want to care for the creature... apparently it keeps us from killing our kids. I'll report back in a few years.

Rebecca

Lucky for him my son has a big head!

Well sure, because no one agreed with the whole "I know I'm doing the wrong thing, but I'm going to do it anyway" attitude....

J.

Think you hit it on the head, Julie. The person doesn't want to hear that we don't agree with them doing the wrong thing anyway. :ph34r:

~ Gloria