BC Boards

Eye boogers on puppies?

USAF BC

My pup Rocky has been having a decent amount of eye discharge lately. Nothing too serious but every couple of hours I feel like there is a little glob I clean off. I currently feed him blue buffalo. (http://bluebuffalo.com/dog-food/lp-puppy-lamb?pf=1&brand=lifeprotection&animal=dog) I haven't seen any recalls or anything but could it be possible he is having an allergic reaction even though there are supposed to be no grains in this food? I am used to seeing eyes dripping in middle age and older dogs but have never seen it too much on puppies. Maybe I'm just over reacting but I just want others opinions. He is 5 mo old purebred BC from working lines.

You could also have a pup like our Bute, who had rather oblong and deep-set eyes and would accumulate some boogers, particularly after a good night's sleep. He largely grew out of that but we did have him checked by the vet as Laura recommended because eye issues/problems are not something to ignore.

Best wishes with this!

Also another question! He hit his foot on the tub(my fault for taking my eyes off him for two seconds) on Friday. That night he was fine, no limping, crying etc. The next morning he was hopping around like a three legged dog. He would put some pressure on the leg so I'm assuming nothing is broken. I made him crate rest Sat&Sunday as well as iced it for him a couple times a day and today he seems to walk normal other than if he picks up speed a bit its still sore. I'm assuming he just sprained his joint near his foot. Still no crying and grabs my hand with his mouth nicely no matter what foot I touch never mind the hurt one.

Assuming it is just a sprain/pulled muscle or other minor injury, rest is a good rehabilitator. Where people often go wrong is not insisting that the dog rest long enough -- very hard to do with BC pups! Since he is still showing soreness, whatever is wrong has not healed sufficiently. BCs are VERY stoic. They very seldom will show obvious pain symptoms (depending on the activity level) so you have to train your eye for the subtle 'tells' that your dog will give. I always assume that my dog is hurt more than he shows.

He is being a very good boy to give you a gentle warning that he is hurting.

Based on what you describe, I would crate rest and leash walk him for about a week. Don't let him do any spazzy puppy stuff. Then while still on a leash, jog a bit and watch his gait. Gradually allow him to increase speed and activity level, but realize that if an injury is not totally healed, it is so much easier to re-injure.

If he is still lame after a week or so of rest (no cheating), I would recommend, at the very least, more crate rest, but I would more likely try and get him into the vet.

Jovi

I see you mentioning that he takes your hand, gently, when you touch his feet. I would not encourage that. A gentle "uh, uh" to let him know that he shouldn't be responding with his mouth at all when you touch his feet would not go amiss. Encourage him to find your touching him on his feet, and everywhere else, to be an okay thing with gentle handling, praise, and treats - do this while he is young and not only you but your vet and vet techs (and your dog) will thank you for it for years to come.

Best wishes!

Yeah he is a very different pup. He is a lazy bum these days, sleeps a lot. Is not a very hyper puppy. The breeder even told me that before I got him that his brother was a nut case and he was more timid. But he's a very loving and loyal dog. I couldn't ask for a better first BC, plus I baby him hardcore. The only reason why he hasn't been to a vet was because he was putting some weight on it and seemed to be better, plus the last time I went they were trying to sell me on everything they could. And a normal visit just to say hello to them is $53. Granted I put my dogs health before money in all cases, I felt he would be ok with some rest.

*update* It's been a week and after icing his foot some and had it wrapped for two days with crate rest he's almost 100%. I'm 90% sure it was that joint near his foot that he sprained and was bothering him. He's crazy as ever the past two days.

Yeah physically he is doing better but mentally is a whole other story. I had posted somewhere else about him peeing himself when being called by me in my normal voice but in a higher pitch he is ok. He gets under the chairs in the kitchen and doesn't want to listen to commands and goes in this panic attack mode. Today I got him out only because it was food time and when he came out I made him sit before eating. He wouldn't look at me or my general direction at all so I sat with him and pet him for a bit to relax him then made him look at me and he was in like total fear over nothing. Eyes dilated and body was very tense. I don't know what his deal is, I try to ignore his nervousness but it frustrates me he acts that way. It's a little annoying that he is fearful of my normal voice but little man voice he's fine with. But in his panic modes he doesn't listen at all. He lays down and wags tail and flops over etc. Even when I first met him as at 3 mo old he was ridiculously shy compared to his brother. If he could have dug any farther into a corner to get away he would have when I first picked him up.

Try whispering or even singing in a quiet voice, try speaking more slowly. He seems to be very frightened of your normal voice, so use some alternatives.

Rather than making him look at you, ignore him as much as possible. If you have to leash him up, do it very matter of factly and don't try to trick him. Again, ignore him as much as possible. You can try dropping something yummy on your foot or by your foot, something that he can smell, and letting him come get it without any response.

Some dogs can't take much social pressure. The more you try to 'get him' to do something for you, even very gently, the less they are able to respond. Start ignoring them and they come around. I know it's frustrating, but this is definitely a case where slower is actually faster.

Good luck, and good for you for hanging in there.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Yeah physically he is doing better but mentally is a whole other story. I had posted somewhere else about him peeing himself when being called by me in my normal voice but in a higher pitch he is ok. He gets under the chairs in the kitchen and doesn't want to listen to commands and goes in this panic attack mode. Today I got him out only because it was food time and when he came out I made him sit before eating. He wouldn't look at me or my general direction at all so I sat with him and pet him for a bit to relax him then made him look at me and he was in like total fear over nothing. Eyes dilated and body was very tense. I don't know what his deal is, I try to ignore his nervousness but it frustrates me he acts that way. It's a little annoying that he is fearful of my normal voice but little man voice he's fine with. But in his panic modes he doesn't listen at all. He lays down and wags tail and flops over etc. Even when I first met him as at 3 mo old he was ridiculously shy compared to his brother. If he could have dug any farther into a corner to get away he would have when I first picked him up. (my emphasis)

And here is a big key to this - for whatever reason, his innate self, something in his environment that affected him - this was manifested before you ever took him home. So now it's up to you to work with a pup with this sort of personality. You've gotten good information, you know some of the things you can do (like the "little man voice") that help him to be less fearful, and it will take time. He will probably always be shy but you should be able to help him be more comfortable with time, patience, and being willing to work with him in the manner that will help him be less worried and gain some confidence.

Don't be frustrated or impatient with him - he can't help himself but you can.

Best wishes to you both!