BC Boards

Dog's bedtime / wake up time ?

Does your dog usually stick to a set bedtime and wake up time and if so what times ?

The reason I ask is because we are not usually on a typical schedule but our dog has seemed to have adjusted ok to our hours.

I work part time usually a couple days a week, occasionally may get an extra day or two, and I usually work second shift for the most part so I am used to getting up about 9:00 to 9:30 AM and getting to sleep by about 1:00 AM at night.

Our dog will usually seem like she is getting tired to the point of getting a liitle cranky/mouthy (like when a little kid acts cranky from being tired) by around 6:30 to 7:00 PM so we put her in her crate with a peanut butter kong and she sleeps after the Kong.

(she would try to stay up if we didn't put her in the crate, but you can tell she is tired so it is like making a kid go to bed when you know they are tired even though they may stay up if you let them)

Most nights later in the evening we will let her out and on the bed for about an hour of evening time with us while chewing on a (closely supervised) rawhide bone. Then a night time potty run and back to bed in the crate. (evenings I work I let her out for a bit after I get home at night, she'll whine in her crate because she can smell when I get home :)

Then anywhere between 5:00 AM and 7:00 AM I'll hear her lightly whine for a morning potty run, then she is content to go back to bed in the crate to sleep to about 10:00 AM.

Anyone else have an unusual schedule that their dog(s) have adjusted to ok ?

......sorta like, if I'm going to bed, y'all should be too :)

Our previous dog Angel after she got older would simply go to her bed blanket when she was ready reguardless of what we were doing, like I'm sleepy, y'all can stay up if you want.

Xena, being about 8 months old, still thinks playtime should continue even though you know she is tired and needs to get some sleep :)

My girl just doesn't understand why I stay up till 10. She thinks we should all hit the sack by 7:30 and get up at 6. :-)

Yep, I am so glad Xena is willing to go back to bed after an early morning potty run, and be content to sleep in till I'm ready to get up :)

dogs are pretty good ad adjusting to your schedule...sometimes mine have to pee pretty early when I want to sleep in but I'll get up and let them out and go back to bed and they do too...

Cash tends to only wake me up if he needs a potty run early in the morning and then I tell him it's WAY to early to be up so he either sleeps or stays quiet while I sleep and gets up when I do. As for bed time, I'm normally up till 11ish and depending on how his day has gone, he will fall asleep next to the couch around 9:30 - 10:00ish and then I'll carry him to his crate (he's just a pup! :) )

But he is great about going with the flow. So thankful for that!

The terrier, during busy times, ends up going to bed when I do (1-2am) and getting up at 10ish. She then goes off and has a nap somewhere.

She also will pick up a toy and try and persuade me to chase her, then lead me upstairs to bed, when I stay up too long past the usual.

I am on something of a schedule during the week, but weekends are a bit different, and if there's a crunch for freelance work then I might stay up quite late or even overnight. Usually I will let all dogs out for a last potty around 11-11:30. After that, they go to bed no matter what time I go to bed. Sometimes I will crate the pup then, and sometimes I'll let her stay out, if she's entertaining herself quietly and not distracting me from work.

Before the pup, my dogs would generally sleep until 7 or so. Now we are awakened between 5:30 and 6. On weekedays I need to get up at 6, so depending how close to 6 it is, I may just stay up. On the weekend, I might well go back to bed. A couple of my dogs prefer to stay out in the yard when I go back to bed, and since the yard is fully fenced and we are in a rural area, I allow them to do so. The rest go back to bed with me. The pup will go back in her crate with something to eat or chew to occupy her while I try to get a bit more sleep.

I have one dog who won't get out of bed till I make her. The rest pretty much will get up when I do, unless someone has an issue that requires an "unschedule" potty break.

J.

I work 5 days a week on a 8:30 to 4:30pm schedule. Naddi ajusted to my schedule pretty easy. Usually my husband will take her out of the crate for potty at around 5, before I get up. Since it's summer, she seem to be going around in the crate at this hour now, usually she was sleeping til 7 ish.

As for bed time, the crate being in our living room, where we spend most of our time, she goes in at around 9 to sleep. We partially cover the crate, so the light don't bother her. And she sleep all night quietly.

She goes by that schedule even on weekend. So we never really stay in bed for long lol Good thing we are early birds :P

dogs are pretty good ad adjusting to your schedule...sometimes mine have to pee pretty early when I want to sleep in but I'll get up and let them out and go back to bed and they do too...

I have found this to be the case as well. I do have a schedule, particularly in terms of feeding and exercising the dogs. However, I also suffer from frequent bouts of insomnia and have found that my dogs adapt to the interruption. Of course I am adaptable to them as well. I also will take them out to pee, then go back to bed if necessary.

Meg likes to keep the same schedule...and she's definitely a morning dog. We are asleep by 10pm and up at 4:30-5am. I'm up for work at 4:30 4-5 days a week and she wakes me up at about the same time every day. On my days off I let her out to potty then go back to sleep for while. She typically finds something quiet to do until I get up again at 7 or 8am.

She knows my work clothes mean she's staying home and she'll go lay in her spot until Dad gets up to play and put her out for the day. Usually I take her with me if I go anywhere on my days off, at least for part of the day. If I don't have my work clothes on when I'm heading out the door in the morning she can be very insistent on going. Once she gets in the car, she'll refuse to get out until either I force her out by picking her up, or I take her to get coffee and bring her back home.