BC Boards

For the sake of success...

Has anyone else felt silly while out training in public, or is it just me? :P

Today I was practicing leash manners out in town with Luna. By my dog's standards, that means walking down the sidewalk with a stinky (she'd call it aromatic!) dog toy in my hand, squeaking it to high heaven while she dances along beside me, catching as much attention from the rest of the world as possible.

Forget treats! If it doesn't arch eyebrows from passerbys or draw in every pair of eyes from the car windows rolling by, she's not interested!

Well, if it's what works, then for the sake of success...

Sure, I'm willing to look odd for the good of my dog.

Dean typically can't go to regular classes, so I train him in the street in front of my house. We heel down the street, me with clicker and treats, and him happily heeling along, doing a Freestyle or Rally move here or there. Often with a bunch of cows following along the fence line of the pasture across the road . . .

Whatever he needs! :)

In fact, we are prepping for a competition this coming weekend and I plan to be out doing that later this evening!! Yes - in the dark!

Sure, I'm willing to look odd for the good of my dog.

Dean typically can't go to regular classes, so I train him in the street in front of my house. We heel down the street, me with clicker and treats, and him happily heeling along, doing a Freestyle or Rally move here or there. Often with a bunch of cows following along the fence line of the pasture across the road . . .

Whatever he needs! :)

In fact, we are prepping for a competition this coming weekend and I plan to be out doing that later this evening!! Yes - in the dark!

Nice! Best of luck to you both! What are you guys competing in?

The more Rolling eyes the better the distraction work!

True! More for me than her, though... You really can't practice self-confidence enough!

Agreed there. My self confidence was really low when I started with my dog, the amount my confidence grew (not jut dog training, everyday) is directly proportional with the more dog training and silly dog stuff I did.

It's easy to say, 'who cares what others think', I've always sorta 'cared' even if I didn't show it. Dog training has really helped me grow. When you do it for the good of your dog , you start not caring and doing what needs to be done. After awhile it just becomes a habit, and one day you find yourself genuinely not caring :D!

Nice! Best of luck to you both! What are you guys competing in?

Thanks. :) We are competing in a brand new sport called Rally FrEe (stands for Rally Freestyle Elements). It is a combination - sort of - of Canine Musical Freestyle and Rally Obedience. It is a lot of fun, and it is also surprisingly challenging, which is exactly what I am looking for right now.

This will be only the second competition, and the first in the east. It's really exciting to be part of it from the beginning. I'm hoping to take my young girl all the way through. Of course, Novice first. :)

Thanks. :) We are competing in a brand new sport called Rally FrEe (stands for Rally Freestyle Elements). It is a combination - sort of - of Canine Musical Freestyle and Rally Obedience. It is a lot of fun, and it is also surprisingly challenging, which is exactly what I am looking for right now.

This will be only the second competition, and the first in the east. It's really exciting to be part of it from the beginning. I'm hoping to take my young girl all the way through. Of course, Novice first. :)

Oh interesting!

I'll have to look that up, I certainly don't doubt that it's challenging! Well, ya know you've got a lot of people rooting for you, me being one of them. I've never heard of that before, you'll have to keep us posted on how it goes!

I'm sure you guys'll do great! :P