BC Boards

Part BC?

Hi all! I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a few weeks. :)

I adopted a 9 month old (now 1 y.o.) GSD mix a few months ago and assumed she was GSD/Sheltie. But these few months more and more people are suggesting that she might be part BC rather than Sheltie, including her agility instructor. What do you think?

She's a pretty fit ~38 lbs, 20-21" at the withers, and keeps pace with the faster dogs at the park. She picks up on things quickly ("close the door" took only a few minutes) but also gets frustrated easily if she doesn't get it right away and isn't shy about telling me it's all my fault with whines, yips, groans, huffs, half-howls.

She's EXTREMELY friendly but can be jumpy with noise and spray bottles. Her play style is totally confusing to other dogs 90% of the time. She freezes, then jumps around in a circle/spins and sometimes hipchecks the other dog mid-air, then flattens herself to the ground. ALMOST NOBODY understands this, so she yips at them to no avail. When at a loss she just runs in a circle zoomie-style and hopes somebody chases her, or spazzes around in a play bow. If she's lucky there will be an Aussie or BC in the vicinity who can't resist a running/bouncing black and tan sheep. She doesn't care too much for wrestling though will if the other dog really wants to, but she would rather zoomzoombounce.

When someone runs by her she follows closely and pokes them in the back of the legs, though I've yet to see any teeth and she doesn't look "serious" doing it if that makes sense, and instead has her usual goofy "smile". Oh, and she knows the best way to embarrass me is to poke my guests/boss/friends in the rear...even when they're standing still.

She is utterly obsessed with the ball and fixates on it like it's the solution to world hunger. There is some stalking/staring/tip-toe approach but it's not like the magnificent crouch of a working BC. When the ball is the prize she's amazing in obedience (perfect distance "stay" even at the dog park!), you name it. But when there's no ball and there are distractions...she has about 2 functioning brain cells and the attention span of a gnat - everything is more interesting in obedience class than mom/jerky/treats. Does this automatically make her not BC, LOL?

Whew, I can ramble about her forever! I know it's hard to gauge with only a few paragraphs and a couple of pictures, but thank you anyway!

post-14731-054972700 1361179044_thumb.jpg

post-14731-079134700 1361179045_thumb.jpg

post-14731-018268800 1361179047_thumb.jpg

post-14731-069965900 1361180462_thumb.jpg

Hi all! I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a few weeks. :)/>

I adopted a 9 month old (now 1 y.o.) GSD mix a few months ago and assumed she was GSD/Sheltie. But these few months more and more people are suggesting that she might be part BC rather than Sheltie, including her agility instructor. What do you think?

She's a pretty fit ~38 lbs, 20-21" at the withers, and keeps pace with the faster dogs at the park. She picks up on things quickly ("close the door" took only a few minutes) but also gets frustrated easily if she doesn't get it right away and isn't shy about telling me it's all my fault with whines, yips, groans, huffs, half-howls.

She's EXTREMELY friendly but can be jumpy with noise and spray bottles. Her play style is totally confusing to other dogs 90% of the time. She freezes, then jumps around in a circle/spins and sometimes hipchecks the other dog mid-air, then flattens herself to the ground. ALMOST NOBODY understands this, so she yips at them to no avail. When at a loss she just runs in a circle zoomie-style and hopes somebody chases her, or spazzes around in a play bow. If she's lucky there will be an Aussie or BC in the vicinity who can't resist a running/bouncing black and tan sheep. She doesn't care too much for wrestling though will if the other dog really wants to, but she would rather zoomzoombounce.

When someone runs by her she follows closely and pokes them in the back of the legs, though I've yet to see any teeth and she doesn't look "serious" doing it if that makes sense, and instead has her usual goofy "smile". Oh, and she knows the best way to embarrass me is to poke my guests/boss/friends in the rear...even when they're standing still.

She is utterly obsessed with the ball and fixates on it like it's the solution to world hunger. There is some stalking/staring/tip-toe approach but it's not like the magnificent crouch of a working BC. When the ball is the prize she's amazing in obedience (perfect distance "stay" even at the dog park!), you name it. But when there's no ball and there are distractions...she has about 2 functioning brain cells and the attention span of a gnat - everything is more interesting in obedience class than mom/jerky/treats. Does this automatically make her not BC, LOL?

Whew, I can ramble about her forever! I know it's hard to gauge with only a few paragraphs and a couple of pictures, but thank you anyway!

You have an incredibly cute and fun sounding pup!!!!! I definitely see the GSD, and I can see BC as well (not that I know anything at all). My BC and ??? mix is completely ball obsessed and has been from the first time she saw one, she also loves to play chase with other dogs and herds them by lightly nudging or nipping their hind legs at times.

She could be part border collie. She's beautiful. At any rate, I don't think anyone would automatically look at you sideways if you called her a border collie miz. BTW, border collies do come in saddleback sable, so the typical GSD coloring of your dog could also be border collie coloring....

If she is a mix of the two, then you might just have gotten the best of both worlds! But whatever she is, I think you're going to have a wonderful partner.

J.

Lol! People guessed sheltie I think because her size and coat are in between a sheltie and GSD and she has the tipped collie ears. But really, who knows! Maybe there was a step ladder involved or difficult labor..... She seems to have gotten the allergies from GSD though, sigh.

The little bugger will keep developing and her personally will really become apparent in the next year, so I might have a better idea then.

In the meantime, I'm going to say she's GSD x BC because I'm smitten with Border Collies and she is full of personality. ....too bad she's so accident prone, haha.

Hi all! I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a few weeks. :)/>/>

Your description of her behavior at the dog park sounds pretty much exactly the same as my BC's. Lol the owners not familiar with BCs kinda get freaked out by her. Also "gets frustrated easily if she doesn't get it right away and isn't shy about telling me it's all my fault with whines, yips, groans, huffs, half-howls." Lol that's my Chloe. She learns stuff so fast and easily that if she has trouble learning something, it obviously must be my fault, and she ain't afraid to show it!. :P/>

GSDxSheltie? Did her Dad have his own step stool? :lol:/>

All things are possible I had a GSDx who was obviously half beagle and half GSD, no one could ever find another breed she honestly looked liked she was made from the parts bin of both dogs, with nothing fitting together quite right. We always voted daddy was a beagle because Jester was about 65lbs and the size of a small shepherd, so we hoped her mother was the shepherd, and that would really have taken a step ladder. What was really odd was when we got our first border collie the shelter had a clone of Jester just more beagle sized.

What ever GSD mix you have, she is very cute.....

All things are possible I had a GSDx who was obviously half beagle and half GSD, no one could ever find another breed she honestly looked liked she was made from the parts bin of both dogs, with nothing fitting together quite right. We always voted daddy was a beagle because Jester was about 65lbs and the size of a small shepherd, so we hoped her mother was the shepherd, and that would really have taken a step ladder. What was really odd was when we got our first border collie the shelter had a clone of Jester just more beagle sized.

What ever GSD mix you have, she is very cute.....

Foxhound... ?

I'm in no way say it's impossible for large and small varieties of animals of any species to breed -- have done it myself with hogs, as a matter of fact -- just that when we hear hoofbeats our first thought should be "horse" and not "zebra" -- unless, of course, we're standing in the middle of the African Savannah. ;)

Don't know what are you are from, so don't know how common this breed is in your area. But your pup might be an English Shepherd or an ES/GSD cross. I have seen that coloring and size in registered English Shepherds, also know as Scotch Collies or Old Time Farm Collies. And as others have mentioned, BC's come in that color pattern, although they are fairly uncommon.

Hi all! I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a few weeks. :)/>

I just looked up that group and you're right! I see several Lexi twinsies!! I can't even believe how identical a couple of them look. O.O

She could be. But I base that only on pictures of dogs found on a FB group for Border Collie x GSD mixes.

I have foster that is one of those.

But either way, sounds like a wonderful girl.

The rescue told me she's from the Apple Valley area, which I think is pretty desert-ish? I have no idea what dogs are common there, though I see a lot of pit bulls and chihuahuas on their animal control website. I don't think Lexi is either...

Don't know what are you are from, so don't know how common this breed is in your area. But your pup might be an English Shepherd or an ES/GSD cross. I have seen that coloring and size in registered English Shepherds, also know as Scotch Collies or Old Time Farm Collies. And as others have mentioned, BC's come in that color pattern, although they are fairly uncommon.

Chloe sounds like a real character! It's so cute to see that play routine but I also feel bad for Lexi sometimes because other dogs don't get it and their owners think she's weird, lol.

Your description of her behavior at the dog park sounds pretty much exactly the same as my BC's. Lol the owners not familiar with BCs kinda get freaked out by her. Also "gets frustrated easily if she doesn't get it right away and isn't shy about telling me it's all my fault with whines, yips, groans, huffs, half-howls." Lol that's my Chloe. She learns stuff so fast and easily that if she has trouble learning something, it obviously must be my fault, and she ain't afraid to show it!. :P/>/>

FWIW, a large female will lie down to allow a smaller male access....

Last spring I had a purebred working border collie here for training who looked a lot like your pup. A couple of years ago, I had a dog in for training who was smooth coated and I remember remarking to a friend of mine that if he ever got lost and picked up by animal control, they would certainly label him a shepherd mix, though of course he was a purebred border collie. That color pattern isn't as rare as one might think, especially given the number of dogs imported to the US from the Moel (and related) lines, especially.

English shepherd is also not a bad guess, but I think they are much rarer in certain parts of this country than border collies are.

J.