BC Boards

How to start

I have lurked for quite a while, and posted a few times on the general discussion board. I have learned a lot, and have now got plenty of questions. I have a border collie male, pretty big, about 50+ pounds and about 3-4 years old. His name is Turk and he was bred on a ranch in Montana, out of working dogs. He wasn't agressive enough and they advertised for a home. My stepson got him and then poor Turk had a rough time. He is smart, loyal, learns tremendously fast and is just all together wonderful. His tail is docked, is this normal? I would like, I think, to get into something with him. What is obedience and agility, how do you train, how are the commands different than working dogs, should I kiss off any ideas of him being a working dog, what commands was he likely taught which I could re-teach, etc,etc,etc. So, does this make sense? I am seeking information, so I can make some decision about where to start with some training. He has been with us since August, and has gotten over his confusion, desperation and all that stuff from being uprooted, and then all the other stuff that happened to him before he came to us. Any thoughts?

No it's not normal to dock their tails. In fact, I've never seen one in the flesh or a book with a docked tail.

Re the type of work to do. Border Collies are working dogs and need a job/purpose. Why don't you see if there is a local agility/obedience/herding club and take him down. Take some lessons, try him out,and see what you both enjoy. If you both enjoy the activity and learn to work together, it will be a great hobby plus will really strengthen the bond. I do obedience work with my dog, and I've never had a stronger bond with a dog. It's great.

------------------

Sharon

• 2 months later...

I am new on this board, and just read your post. Just wanted to let you know that tail docking seems to be a regional thing. I have noticed that it is done as a matter of course around where I am living; I almost never see a BC with a tail. Personally, I think it is unfortunate, as their tails are so beautiful, but around here folks don't seem to want their dogs to have tails. Other places I have lived it is not customary to dock tails. I myself would never do it.

Check out a couple of web sites to find the nearest agility club: www.usdaa.com (United States Dog Agility Association) www.nadac.com (North American Dog Agility Council)

If he's from working lines, you may want to try the herding route first - even if it's just for fun. Check other parts of the www.bordercollie.org site for info on herding.

I'm not sure why folks "do" obedience competitively - I guess everybody has their own "thing." If the dog needs to simply learn some manners, they can certainly be taught - without competition. For that matter, so can agility. But once you're hooked, it's so much fun to compete! (as long as you're having fun with your dog....)

Anyway, best of luck. Sounds like the dog finally found the right home!

diane

• 2 weeks later...

You could get into agility or working your dog with stock if you have that kind of time and determination. If not, a simple obedience class will get you started in the right direction as far as manners go. As for "working" your dog, you don't have to actually put the dog on sheep. A couple of tennis balls in a large open area make for great "employment" for borders. Either way, both of you should have fun... every day.

Robert and Koda.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a few puppies who have lost their tails due to accidents, ones was chewed of by its mum at birth - slight confusion with the umbilical cord?, the other i think had gotten stood on by some dumb person...

So maybe it isn't a docked tail in the traditional sense!

Britta