BC Boards

Any suggestions on breed combonation for my new puppy???

Hi everyone...new here...

We recently adopted a rescue pup. We were told that he is a border collie/lab mix. Mom is supposedly a purebred border collie. We aren't so sure. I was just wondering if anyone would offer an opinion of what mix he might really be. thanks

post-14458-029862300 1357175807_thumb.jpg

post-14458-035757200 1357175840_thumb.jpg

**sorry about the misspelled word in the title! :)

Hi everyone...new here...

We recently adopted a rescue pup. We were told that he is a border collie/lab mix. Mom is supposedly a purebred border collie. We aren't so sure. I was just wondering if anyone would offer an opinion of what mix he might really be. thanks

post-14458-029862300 1357175807_thumb.jpg

post-14458-035757200 1357175840_thumb.jpg

**sorry about the misspelled word in the title! :)/>

Hmm...Where did you get him from? That tail certainly doesn't remind me of a lab or BC tail, so there's at least something else going on in there. Looks chow-like to me.

Just a note, as it is a very common mistake. Chows have BLUE tongues, not black. Lots of dogs have black spots on their tongues. If your pup has any blue on it's tongue, it has Chow in it. That is the only breed with blue tongues. If not, it could be anything! Also, most of the pups in the litter may have had Lab characteristics, so the litter was described as BC x Lab. But mixed puppies can have more than one father. If Mom went traveling during her heat cycle, she could have mated with multiple dogs. (Just to complicate the situation. Smile)

Kathy Robbins

I've often wondered at the frequency with which dogs in the US are labelled as Chow mixes.

Are they a common breed over there? They are very rare here in the UK.

If not common, are they crossed deliberately? I'm guessing not many go walkabout and mate randomly.

I agree that the pup's tail looks rather spitzy but equally since poodles have been allowed to keep their tails here I've seen quite a few curly ones, and we know how often poodles are crossed deliberately with all sorts. Maybe this pup is a labradoodle cross BC.

Hard to say size wise from the photos.

Just a note, as it is a very common mistake. Chows have BLUE tongues, not black. Lots of dogs have black spots on their tongues. If your pup has any blue on it's tongue, it has Chow in it. That is the only breed with blue tongues. If not, it could be anything! Also, most of the pups in the litter may have had Lab characteristics, so the litter was described as BC x Lab. But mixed puppies can have more than one father. If Mom went traveling during her heat cycle, she could have mated with multiple dogs. (Just to complicate the situation. Smile)

Kathy Robbins

I saw 2 others from that litter (that is what i was told anyway!) brother looked just like a BC and sis looked a lot like a lab. This little fellow just confuses me! His ears are cute! one flops to the side and the other to the front. The fur on top of his head is longer than the rest and almost silky but the rest of his fur is a lot like a chow...shorter, kind of course and choppy and very thick. He has big round paws and a curled tail like a chow.

Hmm...Where did you get him from? That tail certainly doesn't remind me of a lab or BC tail, so there's at least something else going on in there. Looks chow-like to me.

We adopted him from a rescue called Save a Mutt. It's in VA. All but 2 people who have met him said chow. The 2 that didn't really didn't have an opinion (they don't know much about dogs).

The ones who said chow were a vet, a vet tech, 2 dog trainers and 5 random people at PetSmart. And my husband and I both think chow mixed with something...maybe BC. We are going to have him tested to hopefully determine what his mix is.

We adopted him from a rescue called Save a Mutt. It's in VA. All but 2 people who have met him said chow. The 2 that didn't really didn't have an opinion (they don't know much about dogs).

The ones who said chow were a vet, a vet tech, 2 dog trainers and 5 random people at PetSmart. And my husband and I both think chow mixed with something...maybe BC. We are going to have him tested to hopefully determine what his mix is.

Sometimes it's really hard to figure out until the puppy grows up. Often the dog's final size and coat type will make a difference. For instance, if the dog ends up being 28 inches tall and 100 pounds, could be the father was a Newfoundland or some large breed. If the pup ends up being 16 inches tall and the coat becomes more wire-like, then maybe dad was some form of terrier. Ultimately it's probably a guessing game. With mixed breed litters even when you know who the parents are, the puppies often come out very different from each other. But, no matter what mix the puppy is, he's sure a cutie! : ) Congratulations.

his tongue has spots on the underside and near the back, blue spots on the sides. i know other breeds can have spots too so i'm not really going to use that to determine.

The color blue on the tounge is what would indicate chow as one of his breeds not the spots. As Kathy (Bordercenetrics) pointed out, only chow's have blue tounges.

He's definitely very cute!

Sometimes it's really hard to figure out until the puppy grows up. Often the dog's final size and coat type will make a difference. For instance, if the dog ends up being 28 inches tall and 100 pounds, could be the father was a Newfoundland or some large breed. If the pup ends up being 16 inches tall and the coat becomes more wire-like, then maybe dad was some form of terrier. Ultimately it's probably a guessing game. With mixed breed litters even when you know who the parents are, the puppies often come out very different from each other. But, no matter what mix the puppy is, he's sure a cutie! : ) Congratulations.

Thanks! He is a cutie. He's very lovable and learning his commands pretty quickly. He's a wonderful pup!

I'd go with Chow mix as well.

Your pictures are way to huge for me to see clearly. But the muzzle in the second pic looks poodle to me.

Looks chow to me too. Is his tongue black or spotted?

Kathy Robbins

so do any of you see any possible border collie characteristics or just chow mixed with something?

FWIW, my computer automatically resizes pictures. While it's still downloading, the pic looks huge, but if I wait for it to download completely then the picture resizes to one that is normal sized. I don't think it's actually my computer doing this, but rather the board software, so at least from my perspective you don't need to do anything to your photos.

If the mom was known to be a border collie, then you can assume your pup is half border collie. The question would be what the sire was. As someone else noted, a litter can have more than one sire, so it wouldn't be entirely impossible for your pup to be a chow mix and others in the litter to be lab mixes. Or the sire could have been a mix himself, and some pups show greater characteristics of one of his ancestors, and yours shows greater characteristics of another ancestor. It's all a guessing game. Just be aware that if you do genetic testing to try to figure out the breeds, you might get a totally off the wall answer. Apparently the tests aren't all that accurate, unless something has changed recently.

As for the likelihood of chow vs. anything else, chows were common enough a while back. Anything's possible. We are a culture of people who want purebred dogs and we go through cycles where certain breeds are very popular. It's not impossible for a chow to have been roaming around in VA, though as someone else noted, it could also have been a labradoodle or similar, since those are certainly more popular nowadays than chows are.

Anyway, it's a cute pup, no matter what the actual breeds in the mix!

J.

A very cute pup indeed. And wanted to add I wouldn't waste my time if you mean by tested being a genetic test to find out his breed. They are sorely lacking in accuracy.

Pick a breed you like and he looks like and voilà there you go! Cute is cute no matter what the breed!

Congrats on your new pup!

And your pics did for me exactly what Julie mentioned, looked huge but then resized themselves after the were finished loading. So were perfect for my viewing pleasure! ;)