BC Boards

Shedding/Grooming

tastybeets

Jack is an indoor dog. I know massive amounts of cleaning come with an indoor long-haired doggy, but it seems no matter how much I vacuum or lint-roll, balls of his fur drift lazy across my floors and gather in the corners like furry li'l tumbleweed.

I use a slicker brush on his daily, and always seem to get a good handful of fur every day. I was looking into the FURminator, but I've seen some concerns with the sharp ends and it IS ridiculously expensive.

I'm hoping for suggestions on tools to cut down shedding. Heck, I'll take suggestions for tools to help clean better cuz the vacuum and lint roller are pretty ineffective on my sofa and area rug.

I use a Furminator on my short haired dogs but not my hairy one as it doesn't go deep enough. It was considerably cheaper to buy one in the US and pay postage than to gert one here in the UK and I've had it for 6 years at least and still on the orginal blade.

I use a rake on the hairy one and get a small dogsworth of dead fur out each time but still get fur collecting under furniture and in corners. A rake is the best thing I've found for the purpose though.

No matter how much I look for something that will do a better job, I find the undercoat rake to be the best tool, and a good tool for helping to work out mats, too.

And I've learned to be pretty tolerant of dog hair on everything...

I use a Furminator on my short haired dogs but not my hairy one as it doesn't go deep enough. It was considerably cheaper to buy one in the US and pay postage than to gert one here in the UK and I've had it for 6 years at least and still on the orginal blade.

I use a rake on the hairy one and get a small dogsworth of dead fur out each time but still get fur collecting under furniture and in corners. A rake is the best thing I've found for the purpose though.

They now sell a version for long-coated dogs here in the US. My daughter has tried the long-coated version and likes it, even on her very thick-coated but medium-length-coated Australian Cattledog.

They now sell a version for long-coated dogs here in the US. My daughter has tried the long-coated version and likes it, even on her very thick-coated but medium-length-coated Australian Cattledog.

Thanks. If my hairy dog had been younger I might have invested in one but he's 14 now ans less tolerant of grooming. I find he will tolerate the rake if I'm careful so we'll stick with that.

I've promised myself no more long coated dogs in future - we'll see how that works out.

I've learned to be pretty tolerant of dog hair on everything...

I'm quickly realizing there's not a lot I can do about it, not that it's a huge deal. I AM moving into a rental house tho, so keeping down the furballs is somewhat important.

My friend has the furminator and she will no longer use it because it ruined the coat on her Aussie/golden x. Apparently if you over use it it will damage the hair.

Jack has the most gloriously soft glossy coat, and I'd hate to ruin it. I read one review about the FURminator thinning out coats too much. More and more I see these comments and read reviews, the less and less I want one. I wish I could just... test one out for a week or something.

Hopefully the undercoat rake does the trick.

I use an undercoat rake & either Cowboy Magic or Show Sheen. Horse products, but they're marketed towards everybody now. They can really help reduce tugging on mats, etc.

That said, once or twice a year, I just give up and take my double-coated, fine-haired dog to the groomer. They can get all the undercoat floofs out :)

I used a ferminator on my older dog when I first got him. He had spent a lot of time outside and had a very heavy undercoat it worked miracles at getting it under control, and I have not really used it since as I do not want to damage his coat. To be honest I just live a certain amount of dog fur.., after living with a dog who had a GSD coat the 2 border collies don't seem so bad and with very minimal brushing their coats stay in good shape.

I never realized how lucky I am that neither of mine has a thick coat. I am constantly picking up bunnies, but it's never any worse than that.

I just signed a lease to rent a house, and will be moving my sofa soon. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make another dog out of what I'll find under there. I'm constantly picking up full sized rabbits. Heeheehee!

The best tool I have ever used to get fur off furniture and carpet is one of the nubbly mitts that you buy in the tack store for grooming horses' faces. It doesn't damage the furniture and really picks up the hair, and the hair comes off it in one compact sheet. If you have cats, I use it directly on the cat for grooming, it cuts down their contribution to the fur lifeforms under my furniture.

The best tool I have ever used to get fur off furniture and carpet is one of the nubbly mitts that you buy in the tack store for grooming horses' faces. It doesn't damage the furniture and really picks up the hair, and the hair comes off it in one compact sheet.

I have one of those and do the same. I also brush off the dog bedding with it before putting it in the washing machine to reduce the change of dog hair blocking it up.