BC Boards

Adoption Idea

Well, I almost had another dog. There was a BC surrender in a local shelter. I really don't want another dog right now; I had planned to maybe foster her. However, when I called the next day, she had been adopted. I wasn't surprised...she was gorgeous. That made me happy, however, since it was right before Christmas, I was a little worried about impulse adopting and dogs as Christmas gifts, etc. So this made me think....what could I do to help these situations?

What I am thinking is: I'd like to get together a packet of information on BCs. Some good articles about adopting in general and BCs specifically. Once I have this packet together, I could include an information page about myself with my phone number. I could then give the shelter(s) this info to be given out with the dog. That way, if they have any questions or needs, they would have a contact number. I am a good resource for dog training in the area.

I would like input on articles that I might include in this packet. I already have a a few that I used when doing research for myself. I would need any information to be non-copyrighted or that allowed reprints for this purpose.

I would also like to include this website as another form of information on Border Collies -- would that be ok to do, Eileen??

I'd appreciate any input on things I might want to include in this packet. I want to select carefully, as I don't want to overwhelm them with too much information.

Thanks for any input you can give me!

:0)

Bonnie

Do you have any reason to assume that the shelter staff, or some of them at least, don't know something about border collies and/or aren't capable of placing them appropriately? Is there a reason you think that the shelter adopting out a dog was a "situation" that requires your involvement?

I am the adoption coordinator, lead kennel and site supervisor for a very busy animal control facility. I know a lot about dogs and a lot about various breeds of dogs, and if I don't know something I will proactively seek out the resources to improve my knowledge. If I have concerns or questions about a particular dog of a particular breed, I will contact a reputable breed rescue rep to come and help me figure it out.

I adopted out a number of animals at and around Christmas, and in fact we had a record number of cat adoptions in the month of December. We do screen for surprise gift plans and discuss with applicants the reasons why we don't do those. I think Christmas can be a great time for a lot of people to obtain a new pet, as they tend to have time off to acclimate the animal to its new home.

My point being, it's somewhat presumptuous to walk into a shelter and assume you know more than the staff. Do you have a relationship with this shelter? That might be a better place to start - maybe you can volunteer and demonstrate to THEM that you have skills and knowledge that you are willing to share when appropriate, and if they would like to take advantage of them.

As a rescue, I enjoyed a very good relationship with the SPCA network in my province and when asked, I provided them with an information package on border collies, the breed, resources and activities for adopters to do with their border collie. This was mutually beneficial for us all. But I would think long and hard before I decided I knew more than people who care for and adopt out animals for a living, and decided to tell them as much.

As a shelter worker, I will seek out resources when I need them. I am happy to partner with rescuers and other people with skills and knowledge that complement or are an improvement on my own. But I have to have a relationship with them first. So maybe you can create a relationship with the shelter that doesn't begin with you suggesting to them that you are a more valuable resource than they are.

RDM

Well, I never thought of that aspect of it; only that it could be a way to be helpful. The thought came after a conversation with a friend who is on the Board of a shelter, as to what I might be able to do to help regarding the breed. However, I never thought that my doing so would insult someone. While it did not insult her, perhaps it would insult others. Always helps to see the other side of it, I guess. Thank you. I would not want to offend someone. :)

I think there is a lot of good intention in your idea, and it could be a very useful one, too. First, you would need to assess how much need there might be and how it might be received at your shelter. Not all shelters are staffed by the same level of experienced, caring, and knowledgeable personnel with the network of volunteers that RDM's might be.

So, perhaps your first step would be to feel out how such an offer would be received. Particularly if you are already a volunteer, you must have some idea of the shelter staff capabilities and their openness (or not) to input from folks like yourself. If you are not already a volunteer (or a known entity involved in rescue), they might not be as likely to accept your offer in the spirit in which it is made.

Maybe just having them aware that you have a particular interest in Border Collies might predispose them to letting you evaluate or work with any Border Collie intakes, so that you could give them some special attention and help prepare them for adoption. While I do little with our local shelters other than having done (or assisted on) a few evaluations and releases/transport to rescue, I do know that certain people at my vet clinic will call when they have a Border Collie question. When an organization knows you, and knows that you have experience and interest, they are more likely (I think) to be open to your input.

Good luck figuring out what you think is best to do! I know you care.

Man, I understand this. And way more.

I was checked out by a BC rescue and was in the process of meeting dogs we might adopt.

A woman pulled a dog from a pound and asked if we might be interested. Sure. She was coming our way and would bring the dog. We expected a visit. She dropped the dog off and left saying that she knew we'd be a good home! The dog had been spayed 2 days before - pulled a week before.

I have kept the dog - against DH's opinion. The poor thing had been moved from place to scarey place too often. And she has the saddest eyes when she wants. I love her to bits. And I'm so glad she was pulled. But I wish there'd been some time for an evaluation of what her needs are as she is a challenge.

Then again, we live near where PETA got permission to pull lots of pets from shelters to "rescue" them. They euthanized all of them because it was better for them to be de3ad than to be pets!

Shelters need some help knowing who is and isn't able to do what is right for each animal.

Not all shelters are staffed by the same level of experienced, caring, and knowledgeable personnel with the network of volunteers that RDM's might be.

I wish more people would actually offer up some information on breeds when people adopt from the shelter here in Austin. When I got Jack, they couldn't tell me ANYTHING about him. All I got was "border collies are high energy, so you'll need to walk him a lot". No temperament info, no packet with breed information, nothin'.

I know it's a government facility, and they're all about pushing the animals out to make room for more, but I wish wish wish they'd give people a print out with some basic info on breeds and their typical behaviors and maybe just have someone observe the dog when they take them out for exercise, make a few notes, and include it with the adoption information.

I really think your idea for info packets is awesome. When I ask the guy filling out the paperwork with me if he knew anything about the dog he said, "If we know anything, we write it on their picture hanging on the cage." :\

When I got my first BC, I got her from a rescue but she was a "courtesy listing"...and so I got her from the owner. Even though I'd been in dogs for years, I knew I needed more in-depth info on this breed. I went to the internet and Googled something like "Border Collie information" and found this awesome article that was a tremendous help...I just remember what a great article it was. I had it saved to my "favorites", but my computer had crashed since then and I lost those links.

And so, when I thought of doing this, I tried Googling what I remembered. The only distinctive thing I could remember was that there was a portion about "The Grizzly Bear", and so I Googled Border Collie Grizzly Bear -- and -- it's part of this USBCC website!!! It is called "Living With A Border Collie". I didn't realize it, but that was obviously how I found my way here four years ago. I re-read that article, and I honestly believe that it is the BEST and most comprehensive thing I have ever read about getting a BC....and I truly believe that everyone who gets a BC should have that article in-hand.

I never wanted to insult anyone; and I never wanted to appear pushy or that I knew more than anyone. I would just like every person who gets a BC or a BC mix to read that article. I referred back to that article many times in my first months with my girl. I have nothing against shelters; they have an abundance of breeds and cannot be expected to have specific information on every breed. That was why I thought of doing this--thinking it would be a help to provide that information.

However, I think I may have offended people by suggesting the idea. I did not mean to do that.

Beachdogz,

Don't worry about it. As Sue said, RDM's shelter is not all shelters (very unfortunately). I can guarantee you that my local shelter, largely staffed by volunteers, is not giving out breed information, unless the dog in question happens to be a breed the staff person knows something about. And even then, I've never seen any sort of information packets about various breeds there. I think poor rural shelters are much less likely to be able to provide the amenities that RDM's shelter might consider Standard Opertating Procedure.

You said you talked to a shelter board member and that person suggested such help was needed. It sounds as if your friend is on the board of a different shelter, but surely your own shelter board knows the needs of their particular shelter and you could contact them and ask (maybe your friend knows members of that board). Although I wouldn't recommend charging in and telling folks how to do things, I think it's reasonable to offer your time/expertise to help them with public relations in any form that may be useful to them. I think it's worthwhile to talk to both the board and the folks who actually work in the shelter. If they don't have the information you're offering, then they very well may want your help. You won't know if you don't ask.

J.

I would also like to include this website as another form of information on Border Collies -- would that be ok to do, Eileen??

Sorry I was slow to answer this, Bonnie. Personally, I think it's a very good idea. I am sure you wouldn't present this in a presumptuous or condescending way, and I doubt it would be taken that way. How many shelters or animal control facilities are able to spend time researching and assembling information, material and contacts for every breed of dog? A pretty small percentage, would be my guess, knowing how overworked and understaffed the shelters around here are. Anyway, I can't see any harm in making the offer, and you would pretty quickly learn whether it was welcomed or not.

When I read your post, the first thing I thought of was "Living With Border Collies" (the grizzly bear pamphlet). Of course you would be welcome to use that, and to include this website as a resource. Good luck with this -- please don't give up on it without trying to find out if the shelters would appreciate it.

A woman pulled a dog from a pound and asked if we might be interested. Sure. She was coming our way and would bring the dog. We expected a visit. She dropped the dog off and left saying that she knew we'd be a good home! The dog had been spayed 2 days before - pulled a week before.

I have kept the dog - against DH's opinion. The poor thing had been moved from place to scarey place too often. And she has the saddest eyes when she wants. I love her to bits. And I'm so glad she was pulled. But I wish there'd been some time for an evaluation of what her needs are as she is a challenge.

FWIW, that particular person is no longer with that particular rescue though it wasn’t for that particular reason. (Wow, 3 particulars in one sentence.) You weren’t the only one upset either. When I read your post in regards to Daisy still having her stitches in, not only did I contact someone on the BOD, I also posted a link to the thread as well. The rescue re-wrote their foster home policy to specifically state every foster home must keep their fosters at a minimum of 2 weeks to learn as much about the dog’s personality as possible before adopting out. You would think that would be a given but…..

I’m sure when Jenn contacted you she suggested you could return Daisy so I want to thank you for working with her (Daisy). I knew you would be a good home but you went above and beyond.

Beachdogz, I like your idea. I think you have it in you to be able to let the shelter(s) know you want to help without offending anybody. Give it a try.

• 1 month later...