BC Boards

injured foot

Hi. My BC, Sam, has injured one of his back feet and i cannot find a reason for it. there doesnt seem to be anything i can see or feel wrong with it, but he limps. although when he gets excited he starts running when outside he uses the foot...when he slows i can see him favoring the other foot. it seems to feel better in the mornings after he has been off it all night. so, i was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to keep him off his feet? even if i keep him inside he runs around and such. any other ideas on what to do? thanks.

I would take him in to the vet for an exam as soon as possible. You should ascertain whether this is just a temporary soft-tissue injury or something more serious (i.e. tendon injury) that may require crate rest and leash walking to heal.

In the meantime, leash walks and crate rest may be the best way to restrict his activities until you get him in to the vet.

Good luck!

~ Gloria

I agree with Gloria. Take him to the vet. Earlier this year my Jake came up lame. He would have a problem putting weight on one of his hind legs after resting after playtime. Naturally, I thought something was wrong with his leg. It turned out he had a pinched nerve in his back. After 3 laser treatments and following up with a few visits to the chiropractor, he's as good as new. I'm not saying Sam's problem is a pinched nerve in his back but like Gloria said, it could be something else.

I agree with all three responses above - it could be (A) something as simple as a burr in between the pads (for example) -- or -- it could be a (B)something other than the foot, such as spinal or strained muscle or tendon/ligament. Because he seems better after resting overnight, I would tend to think (B). He should be rested by crate rest and then leash walks outside - no running. If he doesn't like crate rest inside, then tether him to you. The important thing is not to let him run unrestricted since he can easily re-injure whatever it is.

Jovi

Or it could be something as simple as a grass seed that has burrowed its way in - often difficult to detect.

i hope its just something like that. i have a lot of pecans on the ground, and between the birds and squirrels and my lab theres plenty of broken shells around. i will take another look at his foot and get my husband to bring the crate in tonight and crate rest him tomorrow. hopefully that will be enough. keep an eye on him and if he isnt better in a couple days i'll call my vet (if she is open for the holiday weekend...)

just an fyi update. i took sam to the vet today and he has two sprained toes. so nothing big, she said he's probably on the side of healing bc hes putting more weight on that foot than before. she said to keep him relatively still, no crazy running...so he's going to be stuck inside with me for a week (or until he stops limping). got him some pain pills so he can play with his buddies over thanksgiving (supervised of course!). thanks for all the advice!