BC Boards

Trouble with the Neighbors

I have never had this much trouble with neighbors. I know that dogs can be irritating if you live next door to them. i am trying to be reasonable. But my dogs have a right to be out in their yard, too.

fI have a young guy next door to me that works and parties all night - every nite. A lot of night I listen to his rap music all night because his living room is next to my bedroom. i listen to his fights with his girlfriend at 3:00 in the morning. He likes to sleep all day.

I also now have a day sleeper on the other side of me. She sleeps in the back bedroom which is about 10 feet from my backyard.

My two younger dogs do not bark non stop. They do bark if there are squirrels in their trees. They sometimes also bark at other things. I often get up at 4:30 because I have to be on the road by 5:00. Usually if I let the dogs out that early and its still really dark they don't make any noise at all. Unless there is an opossum out there on the other side of the fence.

I have been just taking my dogs out one at a time on leash in the front in the morning. Then I don't let them out to play until about 11 or 12. Then I just let them stay out and play and if they make noise - well, that's what dogs do. Screw the day sleepers.

Am I being unreasonable?

I looked into one of those sonic things that you just hang on your fence (good for 50 feet) but they are really expensive. And I would need at least two to cover my back yard. One of my customers used one and said they just eat batteries up.

Mary

Mary

I wouldn't be worrying after say 9 in the am. If you put up with the night neighbors then I would think turn around is fair play. Are you complaining to them about their night business? It doesn't seem like you are, so why are you so worried about your daytime noise, if they aren't worried about their night time noise?

And I think I'm being nice about the 9am.

We have a few dogs across the street. They are either tied up outside or penned up outside. When we first moved here I had to have a different neighbor tell me that the screaming the little dogs do does not mean they're hurt it means they family has pulled in the driveway. I don't think they interact with the dogs but they scream in antisipation...and I mean scream like they were hit by a truck.

The big dog they have is tied out to a tree (dog house is there) 24/7. He's not a rude barker but I think he barks a bit in boredom. I don't mind, we have our own issues. But I feel totally sorry for the big one. Enough that I've thought of sneaking over and letting him off lead a few times so they might do something else. But I hear he's a bit aggressive, who wouldn't be, being tied up 24/7.

My dogs bark a bit, but nothing more than a few minutes and it's mainly Mick or Dew when we play ball or kick the whatever.

I hear some coon dogs off in the distance, seems like they are locked in a metal barn because of the echo. But it sure doesn't' keep me up.

All in all, I never complain about neighbors and I don't expect them to complain about me. I think we all try and be the best neighbors we can be. But after 9am, I'm going to cut the grass, trim the trees, or use a hammer, whatever. It's business hours and that's the way it goes.

That's what I'd be doing if I were you too. Also I think I'd be letting them out one at a time in the early am. If they bark you can hush them up pretty quickly. One at a time is way less likely to cause issues. To heck with a leash in the front of your house. IMO You are way to nice!

I'm sorry to hear about this. It stinks to have poor relations with your neighbors.

You don't say if you've had any frank conversations with them, but I might start there. Have a frank conversation with the day-sleeper about the problem, and maybe see if you can find a compromise. Is there one part of the day that's worse? Maybe you can keep the dogs inside during that part of the day and take them for a walk instead.

I suspect communication is the best strategy here.

Been here done this, use to live in town and had a neighbor kid that would stand on trash cans teasing my dogs over the fence. Ended up having to go to anti-bark collars on both dogs or face a fine. I would be working on teaching my dogs that there will be no barking at squirrels, birds, other dogs, people etc. and spending the money now for what ever means there is available to curb the barking because the complaining is likly not going to stop until either animal control or the police knock on your door, if that happens you may find yourself limited as to what you will be able to do and how much time you have to do it.

Sucks living in town, but we even here in the country we have to be careful as to how much noise our dogs make.

Also, you may want to verify that your dog(s) are not barking when they are inside when you are not home. When I lived in a condo I was surprised to find that I had a annoyance barker in the house. When I was there not a peep, even if I left her in the house and was outside in the yard working. The neighbor told me that when the dog heard my truck that it would stop barking and that the dog would start barking a few minutes after my truck left in the morning.

We took care of that problem, which later led to my neighbor thanking me for having dogs, she worked nights, my dog exploded into a barking fit one day which was not a common occurance, ends up someone was trying to break into her unit. From then on any time my dogs barked she knew something was not right, so the dogs went from being annoying to being valued because the barking was limited to specific situations.

Have you looked into the laws in your area about noise? If you are in Kansas City proper these might apply: http://www.kcmo.org/CKCMO/Depts/Health/KansasCityMo.snoiseordinance/index.htm

No answers about the day sleeper but I would suspect they must be used to dealing with a certain amount of noise. If the dog isn't steadily barking for an hour, they've got no reason to complain.

As for the night owls - when my son was in college his next door neighbors in the dorm played rap music all night long. He had 8 AM classes so when he got up to get ready for class, he played Celtic bagpipe music very loudly with the speakers right next to their wall. They got the message.

...he played Celtic bagpipe music very loudly with the speakers right next to their wall. They got the message.

:lol: :lol:

Bagpipes are one of those "either or" kind of things: ya' either love 'em or hate 'em. Personally, I love 'em.

Have your neighbors complained to you or the police? I wouldn't worry during the day since most places only have a noise ordinance at night and nuisance barking laws where I am have to be continuous barking, whining, etc for 15 min. Check your local law but a few barks here or there during the day should not be an issue. It sounds like you are being respectful.

We live in a rural area and one of our neighbors dogs got loose and killed one of our hens 2 days ago. We have a great relationship and he is replacing her with 2 hens because he felt so bad. If we didn't already have an established relationship we might be annoyed but things happen. I would suggest starting a conversation with your neighbors to see what can be done if they do indeed have a problem with your dogs.

Only the guy next door who parties all nite has complained. Actually, he just goes out on his deck and yells really loud for them to shut up. Which I hate. He probably has a hangover and feels awful or something. He won't call the police - he's an x-con and has nothing to do with the police.

I did talk to the neighbors on the other side. Their chihuahuas caused me all kinds of grief. I know they are having serious money problems right now and are about to get kicked out of their house.

I just don't want trouble. And I really don't want to get into it with the city. Animal control in this town has an awful reputation for being just plain jerks.

I looked at bark collars this morning but they were about $80 each. I had no idea all this stuff runs into hundreds of dollars.

One other solution might be one of those whistles that makes a sonic sound. But they are only good up to about 20 feet. I couldn't find any this morning but will look at another store tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas. At least I feel like I am not being unreasonable in wanting some time for my dogs to get out there and just play for a while. Once they get the spuirrels chased off they really don't make much noise at all. And they are never out when I am gone or late at night.

Get a boom box and play rap all day in the yard instead. Or perhaps the theme to COPS.

Or call the police at 3 am and report a domestic disturbance.

You are perfectly within your right to want your dogs to be able to enjoy their yard - especially since you put up with the idiot all night :blink:

FWIW, check ebay or craigslist for used bark collars. Don't get a cheap new one, but lots of people sell decent used collars

Get a boom box and play rap all day in the yard instead. Or perhaps the theme to COPS.

Or call the police at 3 am and report a domestic disturbance.

You are perfectly within your right to want your dogs to be able to enjoy their yard - especially since you put up with the idiot all night :blink:

FWIW, check ebay or craigslist for used bark collars. Don't get a cheap new one, but lots of people sell decent used collars

I hadn't thought about a used one. Pam e-mailed me and said she had a couple of there she's not using.

The guy who keeps you up all night is complaining? Seriously? Do you own the house? I would be asking the cops to pay him a night time visit if he is blasting music at all hours.

Of course, it is exactly because of neighbors like the ones you have that I moved to the country. I don't have much tolerance for people disturbing my sleep.

I would go on record with the police to ask for an official mediation on the issue. Sometimes these things actually can be worked out in mediation. It also makes you look reasonable and responsible to the authorities, and if things get ugly you will have already established yourself with the authorities as trying to find a reasonable solution/compromise.

You are obviously trying to find a middle ground by considering barking collars. I don't think antagonizing your neighbor by playing loud music all day is a good idea. It could result in his taking it out on your dogs.

His hangover from bad behaviour the night before is not your problem, it's his. "Normal" day time noises, be they lawn mowers, weed eaters, dogs enjoying some free time should not have to be limited. I'm not going to be "correcting" my dogs for being normal dogs because of a jerk. If he is partying all night with loud music, you DO have a right to complain and that IS his problem... I would not be tippy toeing around and being quiet in the morning when the world is normally getting started for the day, in fact, I might be more inclined to NOT be particularly quiet. Me, I'd be recording the nightly noise and time stamping it, then I would be calling the police about loud music and disturbances going on after 1 AM(and I think that's being generous). You have rights too, and I'd think if he has already been in trouble then he needs to think about that. (Living in the country with the sounds of nature not inconsiderate neighbors)

The music next door isn't bad enough to call the police. It's just that his front room window is right next to my bedroom window. I don't think he realizes that I can hear everything he says when his windows are open. He and his girlfriend get into the wierdest fights in the middle of the night.Sometimes I wonder if it's just booze they are doing over there. That all night stuff sounds like something a little stronger than alcohol. It is dangerous to interfere in stuff like that. Everyone in my neighborhood has a gun and most of them are just looking for any excuse to use it. I guess Kansas - or at least parts of Kansas - is now open carry. I got to tell you it sure doesn't make me feel safe.

Have you noticed that a lot of kids seem to stay up all night and then sleep all day? I think a lot of them are on their computers until way late.I have more customers that have me come in the morning to get the dog out and fed. Thier adult children are in the house but they don't go to bed until the wee hours and then they sleep until noon or so. Parents don't want to disturb them. I find that odd. My mother would have pulled the mattress out from underneath me and told me to get going.

Sometimes earplugs are the best way to go. When neighbors are having parties I just use earplugs and go to bed.

But it is really irritating when the neighbors make all kinds of noise that I put up with on a regular basis and then they get mad about my dogs barking at squirrels.

It's getting better. 3 days now with no problems.

Mary

I have one of those kids that would sleep all day if you let him. He's not really a kid and does have a job but loves to stay up late and sleep as long as he can.

If I need him to do something I just open up the door and tell the dogs to go get Ian. Can't sleep through dog loving in stereo. ;) I would NEVER pay someone to come in and take care of my dogs if my son was home. EkkGadds, they live at home, the least they can do is help out a bit! Not to take away your business.

I'm glad ear plugs work for you. I still don't think I"m understanding this quite right. So your dogs do some squirrel barking? Like 3 minutes or 20 minutes? Someone one would complain about barking dogs in the daytime? Regular barking dogs? Yeah, I wouldn't be worrying about it and I'd be making a tape of their late night parties or whatever they're doing just in case the police do get involved.

For peace of mind you can figure out a way to control your dogs barking but I'd be darned if I'd use a bark collar for a bit of squirrel treeing. That seems extreme. If I stick my head out the door and holler "knock it off" to my dogs, that'll stop just about anything in it's tracks. Do you have something similar or could you just call them in if they get to barking out of control?

So sorry for your situation. I live in the country but still have neighbors. We all try hard to get along. I wish your neighbors did the same.

Sometimes earplugs are the best way to go. When neighbors are having parties I just use earplugs and go to bed.

I use earplugs if I need them. You would think your neighbors would use them as well, rather than expect the world to freeze for their atypical schedules.

I guess I am a little on the other side of things. We have pretty good neighbors.

1. I would talk to the guy. Explain that his late nights and loud music keep you up at night. Try to make a deal with him. If he would keep his "house" quieter then you will try to keep your dogs quiet until say after 1-2pm or something. But explain that you and your dogs deserve to be able to play outdoors and yes they will bark. Maybe buy the guy some ear plugs.

2. I would keep the dogs quiet first thing in the morning because they may not just be disturbing him. It may disturb other neighbors as well.

My dogs bark and act like idiots sometimes while outside. I don't leave them outside unattended for more than a few minutes just because I don't want to create bad habits with them or disturb my neighbors.

The guy may seem like a jerk but at the same time unless you try to talk to him about things you will won't know if he really is a jerk. If you talk to him and he is a jerk about it then well, don't worry so much about the noise and suggest that he get some ear plugs and tell him to stop yelling at your dogs.

The problem with not being nice to neighbors when you have dogs is the fact you don't know if they will do something to said dogs.