BC Boards

Kitty litter snacking

nancy

Wow, we seem to have gotten Dixie settled down enough that she isn't shredding anything (except for the big Nylabone that's supposed to be non-destructable). We do keep her crated when we can't watch her - and in the back half of the house (den, kitchen, breakfast room, & laundry room) when we can.

So the latest is that she's finally discovered the kitty litter. Well, Vamp (1967-1982) not only dug into litter but dug into diaper pails and strewed the remains of Pampers around. But Fergie (1995-2011)totally ignored the litter box - even when it was just the open one with our previous cat. And, with Vamp, the litter box was in the basement - now it's just off the kitchen.

Has anyone used For-Bid? It says that I can put a bit on Maggie's food each day, and it will keep Dixie from eating the poop. I'm willing to try it.

Then again, I may be able to re-arrange the laundry room so Maggie can get at her litter, but Dixie can't.

Or any other suggestions?

They make extra long screen door hooks - hook and eye fasteners. If you put one on the laundry room door there will be room enough for the kitty to squeeze through without any trouble, but the dog won't fit. Unless its really tiny. You put it on so the door is open about 3 inches when the latch is latched. I used to have that setup on a closet door to keep the dogs from trolling for "Almond Roca."

It's easy to pop it open when you want to go through.

I've found it easiest to just put the litter box where the dog(s) can't access it. Now that the 18 y.o. cat has decided that there's only one suitable location for a litter box (or I'll be cleaning puddles off the floor), it's now out in the open, and of course the dogs can't leave it alone. I just try to be very proactive and clean up constantly so there's nothing to snack on, but sometimes I fail and the dog(s) get a snack.

If possible, I'd just gate off the laundry room. I got a very nice enamelled-metal walk through gate that I put on my laundry room. It has a little door for cats and small dogs, and I tied that door open so that the cats wouldn't be accidentally shut out. The smaller of my dogs can fit through that little door, but I just blocked part of it to make it a bit smaller, and now they don't bother (why would they? Chili's pan is right out in the open! :P ). I can open the gate with one hand, and the two younger cats do actually use that pan.

ETA: I also have a regular cheap baby gate that blocks off the cat room. I just raise that one about 4 inches off the ground, which is enough for a cat to squeeze under, but usually not but the most determined of small border collies. It's more of a pain to step over, but I don't go in and out of that room a lot so not a big deal....

J.

We decided to take a large closet and dedicate that to the litter boxes. I don't like having them out for everyone to look at anyways. I bought one of those cat doors with the plastic flap off Amazon (though I think petsmart and such sell them) and installed it in the closet door. It was a super easy solution for us.

I located the litter box in a corner of the tiled sunroom, then used a 30" Xpen to surround the other 2 sides - with the exception of a 3-4" opening on one end. It is very easy to move to clean the litter. It worked for a recent foster dog that liked to dig for 'treasures'.

If your litter pan is in a room with a door, I like the idea of an extra-long screen door hook suggested by Geonni. I have never heard of those and will keep them in mind if the litter location changes.

Jovi

I also have the gates with the cat door in it, it works great! I also had to block off a portion of the small door, but found that a cheap cat door installed perfectly right in the hole - we just took the small door off. With a very small house - 2 bedroom, 1 bath, and 7 dogs, it was the best solution. We put a gate across the bathroom door where the litter boxes and cat food are, and one across the bedroom so at night the cats can come and go, but the dog that sleep in the bedroom can't.

As far as ForBid, it will only stop her from eating her own poop, as it works by making the poop taste bad.

~ Joellen ~

I've found it easiest to just put the litter box where the dog(s) can't access it. Now that the 18 y.o. cat has decided that there's only one suitable location for a litter box (or I'll be cleaning puddles off the floor), it's now out in the open, and of course the dogs can't leave it alone. I just try to be very proactive and clean up constantly so there's nothing to snack on, but sometimes I fail and the dog(s) get a snack.

If possible, I'd just gate off the laundry room. I got a very nice enamelled-metal walk through gate that I put on my laundry room. It has a little door for cats and small dogs, and I tied that door open so that the cats wouldn't be accidentally shut out. The smaller of my dogs can fit through that little door, but I just blocked part of it to make it a bit smaller, and now they don't bother (why would they? Chili's pan is right out in the open! :P ). I can open the gate with one hand, and the two younger cats do actually use that pan.

ETA: I also have a regular cheap baby gate that blocks off the cat room. I just raise that one about 4 inches off the ground, which is enough for a cat to squeeze under, but usually not but the most determined of small border collies. It's more of a pain to step over, but I don't go in and out of that room a lot so not a big deal....

J.

Honestly, the only sure cure I've found is prevention.

If you can puppy-gate or otherwise fence the litter box off, that's best. Ours is in the bathroom, which we fasten with a string latch that allows the door to stand open about 4 inches, just enough for the kitties to get in but no dogs. However, a low kiddie-gate might do the same thing, if your cat will jump over and Maggie will stay out.

Plus we scoop it at every chance we get. Even so, if we forget to latch or scoop - there's a dog in the kitty litter. :huh:

As noted, For-bid only keeps her from her own poop, because it makes her poop taste bad. It doesn't change how cat poop tastes to her! :D

Best of luck.

~ Gloria

For Bid works great for some dogs and not at all for others. I used it for several weeks, one dog stopped eating kitty fudge completely, one never even paused, and one knows when it's used and when it's not and snacks selectively, I finally gave up.

I think (touch wood) that I have it under control. I rearranged the laundry room to get the galvanized pail for the dog kibble in there. And I moved enough around that I could put the litter box in at an angle. The cat can get in - but the dog can't. So far, so good.

Today, she chewed up a pen (cheap give-away one) and a pencil. Otherwise, doing fine.