BC Boards

My Minnesota Foster Dog Is Awesome!

I'm fostering a Minnesota Border Collie Rescue dog. Here is her page on the rescue site Ellie She is a perfect dog! If my cat got along with her (at all) I would be very, very, very tempted to keep her.

202s5d.jpg

She's amazing - tons of toy drive and will play all day long. She loves to cuddle and just lay down next to a human. I took her to a Bark In the Park event at a baseball stadium and she was super calm. Enjoyed watching the people and all the other dogs walking around. She even did some training/play with strange dogs standing 2-3 feet away. Nothing scares her and if she sees something new she thinks it must be a new toy and she has to investigate it.

Her favorite toys are balls and her next favorite are tug toys. She will switch between toys easily. She's quiet in her crate and hasn't had any potty accidents. In fact, she runs to the farthest corner of the yard to potty - she won't go on the lawn.

I've done some basic agility foundation work with her and she wraps jump uprights very tightly - she is a bendy dog!

She's 18" tall and about 30lbs.

I've taken a lot of videos of her -

I have even more videos, but that's probably enough! She's a really fun, sweet little dog. She would do well in any dog sport - she has drive and focus, but she can also just chill and be a companion. I want to adopt her SO badly, but my cat says, "No way!"

I hope she can find the perfect home.

116t7o1.jpg

she looks super cute and i'd love to add another agility dog, but my girl dog says "no more girls, only boys need apply-if they must!"

good luck with her.

Aww! I love the pic where she has the tennis ball in her mouth.

How long has the foster been in your house? Do you think there is a chance that the cat will get used to the dog? How does the cat express her displeasure?

With my first foster dog, one of my cats hid in a bedroom closet for THREE WEEKS. She would NOT come out for meals, and I felt so sorry for her that not only did I feed her meals in the closet, but I also put an extra litter box within easy reach. After 3 weeks, she started venturing out (luckily the foster dog ignored her), and by 4 weeks she was lying on the counter or chair and swiping her paw at the foster dog if she walked by. She became a bit of a bully.

Jovi

Aww! I love the pic where she has the tennis ball in her mouth.

How long has the foster been in your house? Do you think there is a chance that the cat will get used to the dog? How does the cat express her displeasure?

With my first foster dog, one of my cats hid in a bedroom closet for THREE WEEKS. She would NOT come out for meals, and I felt so sorry for her that not only did I feed her meals in the closet, but I also put an extra litter box within easy reach. After 3 weeks, she started venturing out (luckily the foster dog ignored her), and by 4 weeks she was lying on the counter or chair and swiping her paw at the foster dog if she walked by. She became a bit of a bully.

Jovi

I actually took Ellie back to the rescue tonight - I've been waiting to get approved to post on the the board. But she's still looking for a home and she is still awesome :)

She was with me for 4 weeks. The first 2 times Ellie saw the cat she slammed into the side of her crate and snap at her. I tried covering Ellie's crate, but she could still hear the cat moving (I guess) and she had the same reaction every time. So the cat stopped coming upstairs. She stayed in the basement the entire time Ellie was here - except when I would try to bring her upstairs and get them to tolerate each other.

One time I tried having Ellie on leash and the cat was on a chair. Ellie was fine until the cat moved and then she really, really wanted to chase her.

I think if my cat had stood up to Ellie once and hissed at her - Ellie would have backed down. She's a super sweet easy going dog she just has a lot of prey drive to furry things that run. She chased fur (her own fur!) balls in the yard when I would brush her.

But beside the cat thing Ellie was totally relaxed and really easy to have around. She never barked - even when my dog was barking her head off. She's a really, really nice and easy to have around.

I wish she could find a good home!

• 2 weeks later...