BC Boards

now that dog will hunt...

i heard twitch barking his darn head off down in the pasture, so nova and i went down to investigate. the old man, very proud of himself had treed a racoon. he was quite pleased. after praising him for a job well done, i called him off.

7174441001_876c80c4fd.jpg

he immediatley ran back into the woody ravine and scared up a feral cat. right up the same tree!

7174444353_b41250db6f.jpg

the neighbor raises feral cats, feeding them and allowing them to breed rampantly. we don't hurt them, but i do try to keep them off the property.

i did want to sit around and watch who got out of the tree first and how all that worked out, but i called everyone into the house before any damage could be done.

here is the proud hunter after his 2 bagger. a little grass stained and muddy but very pleased with himself!

7174440961_2b55e4afbe.jpg

How many barks per minute? :):D

In my area (SW Virginia), one of the features at the annual FolkLife festival is a coon dog competition. The competition consists of the contestants bringing their coondogs to a central 'tree' (basically an ~ 20'-25' bare trunk) where a fake raccoon is perched on the top. I think the 'raccoon' is a raccoon pelt. The dog that barks the most times within a specific time period (30 seconds or one minute, I forget) wins.

Maybe you should bring Twitch down and compete! :D:D

Jovi

There's a good boy! :)

(...And speaking of dogs in non-traditional occupations, it has crossed my mind to let Hannah have a go at it with the Retrievers down at the Chesapeake).:lol:

next racoon (or cat) i'll count/time the barks to see if he is competition worthy!! he could use a new hobby as he is really slowing down in agility. he never could herd very well. he just gathers the sheep in a corner and barks at them. so an event where he can just bark at a tree might be right up his alley! :lol:

next racoon (or cat) i'll count/time the barks to see if he is competition worthy!! he could use a new hobby as he is really slowing down in agility. he never could herd very well. he just gathers the sheep in a corner and barks at them. so an event where he can just bark at a tree might be right up his alley! :lol:

I had no idea what a coon dog competition entailed. I find it (the competition) rather uni-dimensional and boring, but hey, whatever floats your boat. I am guessing that those dogs that bark most are the ones that are easiest to find once they have treed a coon - so I guess the competition does test one aspect of their 'working ability'.

I had no idea that there were different breeds of coondogs. The ones that are brought to the competition are very handsome and well-kept.

It would be interesting to find out if the coondog competition is limited to the coondog breeds (registered or otherwise).

Jovi

i was just joshing about entering him in a coonhound competition. ;)

we'll keep our barking down here at the farm!

i was just joshing about entering him in a coonhound competition. ;)

we'll keep our barking down here at the farm!

Oh, I figured that. :)

But seriously, since the competition only measures barks per minute, someone could come in with a dog trained to bark at a 'coon. And to further that thought, a dog with short barks - a little yappie dog like a chihuahua? - could beat a dog with 'longer' barks.

So I am assuming that the competition is limited to coondogs.

Anyway, my mind should be more productively used than thinking about coondog competitions and how to upset the status quo - but sometimes I can't control it. :D

Jovi :D

Archived