BC Boards

Quirkiness when walking

So Annie (12.5 weeks old) has some weird quirks already. There are certain blocks she refuses to walk. She will sit and pull in any other direction and nothing will make her go in that direction. So I give in go in a different direction. She also will occasionally just sit or lay down and will not keep going. It seems like she's tired but then when we get home she's ready to play and chew.

So how much exercise should she be getting at this age? I've been taking her for a few short walks a day along with play time with and without Tiga (8 years old) and training time. She is very nippy and she likes to chew on everything. We really have to watch her constantly or she will probably get into something. When she crashes though, she crashes hard.

Today we started crating her for a few minutes at a time with the door closed while we're here. How long before we can leave her in there when we're not here? How long do I let her cry in the crate and when do I let her out when she's being like that?

Lots of questions. It's been 8 years since we've had a puppy and we're doing things differently this time. We didn't crate Tiga and we didn't clicker train him, both of which we're doing with Annie.

Thanks all! I've missed being around.

So Annie (12.5 weeks old) has some weird quirks already. There are certain blocks she refuses to walk. She will sit and pull in any other direction and nothing will make her go in that direction. So I give in go in a different direction. She also will occasionally just sit or lay down and will not keep going. It seems like she's tired but then when we get home she's ready to play and chew.

Thanks all! I've missed being around.

Border Collies can be quite sensitive to particular sounds, smells and other environmental factors. My own avoids whirring of vacuum cleaner, and washing machine, making weekends at our home difficult, when those sounds are most prevalent. She shows concern about household electric motors from quite a distance outside. The sound of gun fire at almost any distance produces an immediate look of worry on her face, at which point all fun/games we are having slow or cease. Sometimes see her reaction prior to the wind, or whatever, eventually making distant shooting audible to me. Mention these traits, and reaction of my own dog, as possible explanations for Annie not wishing to walk on certain neighborhood blocks. Dogs' senses react to things we may not hear, smell or see. It can be puzzling.

My response is to try not to pamper, or show strong reaction to things that may worry her. Dogs look to us for our reaction, which if negative, can exacerbate the problem. When I have the time and patience, we walk a distance toward something that bothers her, Josie right at my side, in little stop and go increments, all the while praising for her courage. The key is to make each instance of desensitization training successful, so always conclude before your dog refuses or shows excessive fear. We have had limited success. Progress is measured by being able to get in a few more disk throws when gun shots become audible, or call her into the house when a vacuum cleaner is near the door.

Key words are "counter-conditioning" and "desensitization" if you wish to read further via books or the web. My understanding is this training requires knowledge and patience, as you are having to overcome dog-emotions, which can be strongly ingrained. Best wishes with Annie. She sounds like a normal border collie puppy, and you are asking the right questions. The puppy book mentioned above looks like a good one. -- Kind regards, TEC

Thanks TEC. I've just been casually walking past the trouble areas but not trying to force her to go where she doesn't want to. Yesterday was a tough day she was pretty worked up all day. I started reading that book. Lots of info there.

Our biggest issue right now is the nipping. It's so hard to know what's the right tactic to take. There's so much info and different advice on what to do. Any advice from anyone on the best way to nip the nipping in the bud?

Today we started crating her for downtime and she was here crated without people for the first time. I think she's doing well with it. We did start with frozen kongs today for that and she seems to be liking it. A few cries here and there but nothing too major. Today is an easier day. One day at a time seems to be the key.

Just curious when walking is there anything on the ground? My sister has a dog that refuses to go near grates, anything metal in the ground(manhole, water, etc), and those weird rubber things on sidewalks.

Nothing that isn't everywhere else that she will walk. There are just 2 street blocks that she won't walk down so far. I've taken her in every other direction with no problem. Mind you, we haven't gone too far because she's so young and doesn't have all her shots yet.

Nothing that isn't everywhere else that she will walk. There are just 2 street blocks that she won't walk down so far. I've taken her in every other direction with no problem. Mind you, we haven't gone too far because she's so young and doesn't have all her shots yet.

Is it possible that someone in the area has an ultrasonic frequency device in use such as a bark control or pest control device?

It's possible I suppose. Not too sure.

I'm a little mildly concerned tonight. She's been sleeping a lot today. She also hasn't eaten too much today. I think she's just being spoiled. She's on antibiotics for her UTI and in order to give her the pills I've been putting them in wet food and mixing that with the kibble. She's started to just eat the stuff covered in the wet food and leave the rest behind. She's even been turning down kongs. I wet some kibble and froze it in them. Yesterday she loved them. Today, not so much. She'll eat treats with no problem at all. She has had spurts of activity. I took her for a walk this morning and her and Tiga have had a couple of play sessions outside and we've done some training throughout the day. She wasn't really interested in supper. Every other night she gets a spurt of energy in the evenings and I usually take her for another walk but tonight she's just been sleeping. She's pooped a couple of times today and it was normal. No vomiting. Am I just being a worry wart? She's already been to the vet 3 times since we got her and it's only been a week today. Are we overdoing it?

Wasn't there mention of her being a shelter pup in another thread?

I'd certainly keep an eye on her and take action if she doesn't improve, but IMO you need to give her time to adjust, time to be a pup. She's only 12 weeks old and she's already been through a LOT. Just in the past week she's gone from a shelter (and all the stress that goes with that) to a new home, she's fought a UTI and flea infestation, she's got a new name, a new family, a new canine companion, new structured exercise, new training expectations, and not just a whole new schedule but one that is still evolving... PLUS three trips to the vet! Heck, I'd be whipped after all that and I'm far from an infant. ;)

I'd take a step back and just go easy for a couple weeks. You've got 12, 15 years with her, there's no rush. Write a list of the basics and build from the bottom up. Take it slow, let her be a baby. You both only get this time once and it's better to allow her to mature than to overwhelm her and have to re-do everything to fix the mistakes that can cause. JMO.

That was my initial thought and I called the ER vet last night and they basically said no vomiting or diarrhea then wait it out for the night. If there was no improvement by this morning she should be seen. Well this morning there's still no improvement. She is not interested in food at all. I managed to get a little into her by hand feeding. She even yelped when I touched her this morning. She woke up at about 5am to go pee but it wasn't her normal pee cry. She sounded like she was in pain. I took her out again at 7:30 and she had a pee but that was it. Very, very slow walking, no puppiness at all. All she'll do is walk from one spot to another and lay down and sleep.

She is not a shelter dog, we saw an add for her being re-homed. I suspect she was kept outside on a rope most of the time. I think the guy had her at a dog park and she had never seen a vet.

I know she's been through a lot but yesterday and this morning have been such a drastic change from the way she's been all week. I'm super upset and super worried now.

Archived