BC Boards

What to do with the world's laziest Border Collie?

I made a topic earlier about my merle border collie and how I was having issue with her. Well, now I'm updating on her condition and asking for anyone who has dealt with lazy border collies before, for I am new to owning such a lazy dog.

I took her to the vet to check for hip dysplasia, as I said I would earlier. It is a miracle. Her hips have like repaired themselves. The hip sockets are so much better now. Anyways, the bad part about that is now she has no excuse to her behavior. <_<

What usually happens is she comes running up to me like a wild woman, begging me to go out and train with her to the point where she is digging up my spleen. So, I end up going out with her while she really wants to work. Three weaves or obedience exercises later, she is asleep and acting like she has ran two miles in the desert. It is a cool day out as well, so it isn't like she is having a heat stroke. My seven-year-old, puppy mill dachshund with back deformities was outperforming her, ha ha. :rolleyes:

It isn't even like she doesn't want to do it, because she sincerely loves training, and she isn't getting bored. She just suddenly passes out in a few minutes. I've never had such a low energy dog before, especially with a breed like border collies. Any ideas on if there are new foods I should switch her to, or any one who has been able to work around this?

I guess I can deal with her behavior for now, but I'd figure I would ask you guys to see if you had a secret miracle cure bottled up somewhere :)

The very low activity tolerance makes me think cardiac...time for a chest x ray and maybe bloodwork?

She is a young new two year old and is not at all overweight. All muscle.

Also, I have had her checked in every possible way, because when I first got her, she was very sick with an unknown problem. No one could figure it out, so we basically had every test in the world done to her. EKGs, ICU, the whole nine yards. Ended up being really rare allergies. She is healthy overall. Also, I think everyone thinks I'm paranoid at this point because I have taken her in so many times, ha ha.

Another issues is that I don't think the vets would see anything wrong with her energy level, because the veterinarians in my whole tristate area couldn't tell the difference between a basset hound and a border collie. As long as she is walking, she is fine according to them. Just lazy. One vet I took her to who has working dogs said that her hips were bad and at this point just send her back. However, at the time it was such a mystery with her current puppy disorder that I didn't want to send her back until I made sure it wasn't me causing the issues. Also, her hips and spine are fine and dandy now. Pulled themselves together over a few months.

If all the vets in a three state area are that incompetent, then how do you know she doesn't have something physical going on with her? I am not following the structural issues (her hips were bad but now are fine?). Is there a vet in a 4th state somewhere you could take her and what must be a box full of records to?

What you describe does not sound lazy. It sounds like something is really wrong. I hope you find the answers with a good vet somewhere. Sorry, but I don't think you will find a magic potion here from people who have never seen your dog.

If all the vets in a three state area are that incompetent, then how do you know she doesn't have something physical going on with her? I am not following the structural issues (her hips were bad but now are fine?). Is there a vet in a 4th state somewhere you could take her and what must be a box full of records to?

What you describe does not sound lazy. It sounds like something is really wrong. I hope you find the answers with a good vet somewhere. Sorry, but I don't think you will find a magic potion here from people who have never seen your dog.

I was joking on the magical potion part, but thanks for the tips. The vets are good at veterinary medicine, but they just don't understand breeds or energy levels really. Most don't unless they actually train. I really just believe she is a low energy dog. We have had her scanned from head to toe by the best vets in the state. The closest veterinarian hospital that would be better than the ones I have already taken her to would be over 300 miles away.

I appreciate the help though, and I'll try to think of a new plan medically for her.

Edit:

I forgot to explain her hips. Well, basically when I got her prelim she was horrible (fair), but she showed signs of pain to it. The veterinarian said just forget about it, because it will probably only get worse. Her right socket you could see was really shallow. However, now she is two, and we got them x-rayed again. The socket became so much deeper. Now, the hips fit into the socket like a dream.

She is a young new two year old and is not at all overweight. All muscle.

She wouldn't have to be old or overweight to have a heart problem.

Also, I have had her checked in every possible way, because when I first got her, she was very sick with an unknown problem. No one could figure it out, so we basically had every test in the world done to her. EKGs, ICU, the whole nine yards. Ended up being really rare allergies. She is healthy overall. Also, I think everyone thinks I'm paranoid at this point because I have taken her in so many times, ha ha.

Its always hard to tell from a written description, but from what you describe as a happy, animated young dog who performs a small amount of work them collapses, who is outworked by your dachshund doesn't sound like a healthy dog.

I know the feeling of feeling like the hypochondriac pet owner, but in your shoes I would consider having her checked out again.

Could you say a little more about what happens when she quits? Does she do a few exercises, walk off, and sleep? What happens when you try to get her attention back? How do you try to get your attention back? Does she just collapse? What is her eating routine like? What does she eat? Whats her exercise routine like? Does this happen on walks and hikes? More details please! =)

If its not a health or diet problem, maybe she's just bored with what you're doing with her. Or maybe she just gets herself so excited over the idea of doing something that she wears herself out before you even get started (Bear does that, but then he's 11).

Meg sometimes gets bored with agility. She's a thinker and a puzzle solver and I don't think agility is mentally challenging enough for her. At this point, I'm not advanced enough as a handler/trainer to make it more challenging for her (working on it though).

At the times when she doesn't want to do agility, we do some free shaping with the clicker. She LOVES this. I have trouble figuring out what to shape and sometimes we never put a cue to a behavior if its not something I think I'll ask her to do again, but she has fun anyhow.

She's also learning Treiball...its not my favorite thing, but she loves it so we go to classes and I try to stay focused. I prefer agility because its more challenging for me, so she (sometimes) tries to stay focused in that class for me (and she likes doing contact obstacles).

It isn't even like she doesn't want to do it, because she sincerely loves training, and she isn't getting bored. She just suddenly passes out in a few minutes. I've never had such a low energy dog before, especially with a breed like border collies.

If I was experiencing this with a two year old border collie I would definitely be wanting to dig deeper into the issue and figure out what is the underlying cause. If you haven't already, I'd go to a University vet school. I'm fortunate to have one three hours away (MN) and one two hours away (WI) -- they are both top rate in special diagnostics. Yes, it will cost money, but you should come away with answers.

Three hundred miles is worth it to help your dog.

Have you had her thyroid levels checked? I know that can be a cause of "laziness" and the dog doesn't have to be overweight to have a low thyroid.

Another suggestion would be to get someone to videotape you working with her and how quick she gets tired and post it on here so its easier for people to give their opinions on what's really going on.