BC Boards

Training resources

Anyone have recommendations for very good books on dog training? Any good websites?

It'd be nice to have a list to turn to of information which is up to a basic standard and readable.

I've heard Control Unleashed recommended.

Anyone have recommendations for very good books on dog training? Any good websites?

It'd be nice to have a list to turn to of information which is up to a basic standard and readable.

Tawzer (a website) is phenomenal. They have a lot of different resources for all kinds of training needs, and they are adding more and more all the time.

www.tawzerdog.com

If you do read CU, I recommend that you get the new Puppy Book instead of the original, even if you don't have a puppy. It is the same material, with some new stuff, but it is much more user-friendly.

The Original CU book is written both as a guide for instructors who are teaching CU classes, and for regular people interested in learning, and it can be difficult to follow.

The Puppy Book is very readable, no matter what your needs or goals.

You can get it through Clean Run. That is also another excellent site for training resources, particularly if your goals are in Agility.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training by Pamela Dennison.

Very accessible for those who know nothing and those who know more. I wish I knew where my copy is - seems nowadays that people interpret "borrow" as "keep".

CU is a great book, but I think it really depends on the kind of dog you're dealing with. It was recommended to me here and elsewhere, but after reading it cover-to-cover twice, I could only find a couple of exercises that would really help me with the problems I was experiencing. I would have found it much more useful if I was dealing with a reactive dog, though.

Archived