BC Boards

Has anyone tried Ecto-Advance?

What has been mentioned (here or elsewhere--don't remember--maybe on Tick-L) is that although the active flea control ingredients are the same, the carrier is not (still proprietary to Merial) and that the difference in formulation of the carrier could play a significant role in the efficacy of the product. I have no idea if that's a truly major concern or not.

FWIW, as poorly as Frontline has been working for me, I'd give it a try. If it didn't work, at least you'd have thrown away less money (assuming that the different carrier didn't have any adverse effects).

J.

I don't know about that product, but my shelter switched over to using Pet Armor Plus in place of FrontlinePlus. Same deal, they claim to be a "generic" of Frontline. It's actually available at Walmart.

Does it work? Who knows. We don't have much for fleas in this area and even with Frontline I still found ticks on the dogs.

I would just be careful if your dog has sensitive skin. I bought an offbrand a couple of years ago and it burned the fur right off my cat's neck everywhere it touched. I now use Revolution since it is the only brand that doesn't irritate his skin - the cheap stuff cost me a lot of money.

What has been mentioned (here or elsewhere--don't remember--maybe on Tick-L) is that although the active flea control ingredients are the same, the carrier is not (still proprietary to Merial) and that the difference in formulation of the carrier could play a significant role in the efficacy of the product. I have no idea if that's a truly major concern or not.

FWIW, as poorly as Frontline has been working for me, I'd give it a try. If it didn't work, at least you'd have thrown away less money (assuming that the different carrier didn't have any adverse effects).

J.

I remember that from when we were discussing Pet Armor (the Walmart brand). Was hoping this was different. Frontline still works well for my guys (*knock on wood*), probably because the ticks in my back fields haven't been exposed to it yet. I have tried Vectra and that didn't work at all for mine against ticks.

Someone just asked about this on Tick-L today, right after I had posted here. The discussion was whether "generic Frontline" really means "generic Frontline" (i.e., exactly the same, which is how the term is used for human drugs) or something else. From the description in the link, I'd guess my first assumption was correct, that the tick/flea-control ingredients are the same, but not the carrier.

Interestingly someone on that list pointed out that if the product is working to kill fleas/ticks, then the IGR is overkill because dead ticks/fleas can't reproduce. Something to consider, especially given that IGRs in the environment can be very harmful to other creatures.

J.

As far as I know if a drug is regulated by the FDA then it has to meet the same standards as the brand name. Isn't Frontline a regulated drug? My memory is getting old (not me just my memory) but didn't they step in when some of the mail order companies were selling it from other countries?

Archived