BC Boards

issue with a Rescue - am I out of line?

So...I am feeling very angry and wondered if others involved in rescue would give me their input.

I recently fostered a dog for a breed rescue group (not a Border Collie). I used to be a very active volunteer with this group, as a foster home, a regional coordinator, and educator and a member of the Board over the course of several years. I resigned primarily due to personal issues when I got

divorced, basically I worked 2 jobs for a while and lived in an apartment so I didn't have time and couldn't really foster a dog. Since moving to WA, I have fostered a couple of dogs for them and have

dealt with a competent regional person and aside from delays with adoption approvals and slow reimbursements, its been OK.

So anyways, I got a call about the dog from a new person who seems to have been a regional person for a short while. I agreed to foster. The dog I fostered has some gnarly teeth with a lot of tarter build up and one tooth seemed loose and so I asked the regional gal could I have a dental done when I neutered him. In the past, that was the way it was approved (that the regional person could say yes or no) and she seemed confused, so I asked her to ask her go-to person as the neuter was scheduled and since he was a marker I wanted to go ahead and neuter asap to get any helpful effects of the neuter going. She then said she she thought it would be ok so long as it was all under $300.

The organizations ruled previously said anything up to $300 was approved for routine stuff. I consider

dentals routine. I get the concept of watching expenses, as a regional I have had some $500 bills for neuters from volunteers in the Bay area or Hollywood area, but I am going on the idea that vaccinations, spay/neuter and dentals are normal need to be addressed items with a toy breed dog.

Anyways, it seems the group has new rules and even the manual was updated recently and requires pre-approval for all dentals. The new regional seems overwhelmed and gave me the wrong info and should not have said go ahead, and admittedly I hadn't read the manual lately, and I really don't want to throw her under the bus. The bottom line is I submitted receipts for a health exam, vaccinations, neuter and dental including 3 extractions to the tune of $325. I said I would be happy to donate the $25 since it exceeded the original limit and it was higher than the $300 because the dental cost more than was initially thought. I felt I was responsible as they called during the dental and asked if they could extract the extra teeth and I said OK.

So, the whole dental expense of $140 was denied, and frankly the guy was a real butthead. He was rude and inconsiderate and now I am pissed. I have since learned he goes out of his way to not reimburse people. The bottom line is I made a small mistake and didn't get pre-approval for a routine procedure but the dog needed it and it should be taken care of. I want to get paid more for the principle than anything ese at this point, especially since he was a jerk. The dog was adopted for a higher fee than the veterinary expenses and I did a good job with him. I am (or should be) a' valued volunteer and we did what was appropriate for the dog. I don't see why this expense couldn't be approved after the fact, especially considering my vet did it at a discount anyways as he was a rescue dog.

Am I out of line? I know I didn't follow the rules to the letter but this was not an expense for grooming or boarding or out of line expense wise. I think $325 for a health exam, rabies, DHLPP, neuter, dental, pain meds and antibiotics is a bargain and I was even willing to eat the $25. I am really mad about this.

Can't blame you. It's hard to imagine that this rescue would expect to keep volunteers, if they are treating them this way. It seems to me that your offer to eat the $25 would have been more than satisfactory, especially after the vet had done all that work at such a reasonable price.

If you were given the wrong information, I don't think he should deny you reimbursement--that's on the group for not communicating effectively.

I really don't think he should be such a jerk about it, I understand money's tight in this economy, but yeesh. :/

I don't think you're out of line. If I were you I'd write a letter to the rescue BOD (I assume it has one) and explain the situation,including the approval by the regional director and the denial by the financial person (treasurer?), and your reasoning why you feel you should be reimbursed. It wouldn't hurt to point out that the lack of effective communication could cost them a valued volunteer. That is, pose the question of whether $140 is worth losing a volunteer over.

J.

Am I out of line?

No, you are not out of line. If we brought a dog into our program that had bad teeth, we would get upset if the foster home didn't get a dental. And the guy goes out of his way to find reasons not to reimburse??? I agree with Julie. If the rescue has a BOD, contact them.

I realize times are hard and money is tight but you do what you can to scrap the money together but it sounds like the rescue wouldn't have gone in the hole anyway. We all know all rescues need money but at the same time there would also be no rescues if it weren't for volunteers. If you ever move to NC I hope you volunteer for CBCR.

I don't think you're out of line.

I also agree with Julie -- write the BOD, explain the situation.

But, I like the following quote. It gives me perspective in times like the on you describe: "Is this the hill you want to die on?"

In other words, consider the consequences of holding a grudge here. It would undermine your relationship with this organization. Maybe that's not important and there are other groups you can work with, in which case it doesn't matter. But the other choice is to just let it go.

Jim

But, I like the following quote. It gives me perspective in times like the on you describe: "Is this the hill you want to die on?"

In other words, consider the consequences of holding a grudge here. It would undermine your relationship with this organization.

I guess I find myself on the other side of this quote: is this the hill *they* want to die on? Are they willing to lose good volunteers by refusing to pay a reasonable expense because I didn't follow the policy to the letter? I am the one working for free here, I am the one who took the little guy in, dealt with his being un-housetrained, fed him high quality food, bought a crate because the one I had was the wrong size, taught him to walk on a leash and manners over food, etc. I also spent $$ on gas to go get him and to deliver him and did legwork for checking on his potential adoptive home.

I do this to hep the dogs, not to deal with egos. The new RC was wrong but shes new, and again, a volunteer, and instead of yelling at her (which he did already) he should be helping her and educating her. We are supposed to be about helping dogs in need, not micromanaging and being rude.

I don't get the idea of treating your volunteers like this. Apparently they have lost other volunteers due to him refusing to pay bills because they filled out a form wrong, or something else silly.

Is there a BOD or steering committee? This sounds like an ongoing problem that needs to be addressed. It might help to tally up all your unpaid expenses (as you described above) and point out that in the balance, the $140 he refused you is minor. But the larger issue is whether they care to keep good volunteers. Maybe no one has pointed out, in writing so that it can't be misinterpreted, what this kind of management can do to destroy a volunteer network. Maybe they also simply need to be *reminded* that it's about the dogs and not the people and that perhaps things would go better for all if the best interests of the dogs were always put first. Again, all in writing so there's no "he said, she said," or the person you talk to doesn't inadvertently change the message (telephone game). It may be that volunteers just give up and go away and although the rumor mill explains why they leave, and no one has formally presented an argument to whatever governing body this rescue has to state the real issues.

And you also need to stress the communication thing. If there are new rules, then perhaps all volunteers need to read the ruls and sign something acknowleding that they read them. Maybe new rules need to be established regarding reimbursements: for example, if you fill out the form wrong, it will be returned to you to be filled out properly, but one mistake in filling out doesn't mean you can kiss your money goodbye forever.

I'm honestly surprised they have anyone willing to volunteer for them.

J.

Is there a BOD or steering committee? This sounds like an ongoing problem that needs to be addressed. It might help to tally up all your unpaid expenses (as you described above) and point out that in the balance, the $140 he refused you is minor. But the larger issue is whether they care to keep good volunteers. Maybe no one has pointed out, in writing so that it can't be misinterpreted, what this kind of management can do to destroy a volunteer network. Maybe they also simply need to be *reminded* that it's about the dogs and not the people and that perhaps things would go better for all if the best interests of the dogs were always put first. Again, all in writing so there's no "he said, she said," or the person you talk to doesn't inadvertently change the message (telephone game). It may be that volunteers just give up and go away and although the rumor mill explains why they leave, and no one has formally presented an argument to whatever governing body this rescue has to state the real issues.

I have started this. I got the email addresses of all the BOD so I cc-ed him in my firm, but polite, request that I get this reimbursement based on the medical necessity of the procedure, the reasonableness of the cost and the fact that it behooves him to deal fairly with his volunteers. I pointed out that while I did in fact make an error since the policy exists to prevent unnecessary expenses and we can prove that the expense was reasonable and necessary I expected him and the BOD to review and approve my expense after the fact.

If there are new rules, then perhaps all volunteers need to read the rules and sign something acknowledging that they read them. Maybe new rules need to be established regarding reimbursements: for example, if you fill out the form wrong, it will be returned to you to be filled out properly, but one mistake in filling out doesn't mean you can kiss your money goodbye forever.

It was in fact, my error to not review the new "Volunteer Handbook" because I assumed it was what it used to be (what it was when I created it 7 or 8 years ago) which was helpful information about isolating foster dogs, training tips, etc. I should have read it again. It was wrong of the new RC to say go ahead, but even then I knew she was new and confused, so I should have (in retrospect) gone to someone else when she seemed unsure of it all instead of assuming the rules were the same. But if shes not trained that falls on the group and she is already about to quit because they have been rude and intimidating to her. She comes off as actually afraid of his guy. It won't help to throw her under the bus.

And there are no rules about "one chance and you are out" as far as reimbursements. Thats just him being aggressive and intimidating people into not pressing him for reimbursement. That will NOT happen with me.

I also know they have a lot of $$ in their bank account, I have a good relationship with one BOD member and she said flat out there was a hefty sum there, so its not that the rescue doesn't have it.

I'm honestly surprised they have anyone willing to volunteer for them.

They apparently go through volunteers like water, now. No real surprise, eh?

Since you have knowledge that this guy avoids reimbursing volunteers whenever possible, you have one other option: stop fostering for this rescue and start fostering for Border Collie rescue! If you PM me, I can put you in touch with one. I volunteer for them and they always come through for the dogs. We even had an FHO done on a pup and they reimbursed me. They approved a second one as well, but the finder decided to keep the dog and pay for it herself! Help is needed in the greater Portland area.

Kathy Robbins

Spokane

Since you have knowledge that this guy avoids reimbursing volunteers whenever possible, you have one other option: stop fostering for this rescue and start fostering for Border Collie rescue! If you PM me, I can put you in touch with one. I volunteer for them and they always come through for the dogs. We even had an FHO done on a pup and they reimbursed me. They approved a second one as well, but the finder decided to keep the dog and pay for it herself! Help is needed in the greater Portland area.

Oh believe me, I will no longer foster for them. This wasn't a problem with this group before, but if they cannot manage their leadership from within there are too many other rescues I can work with even for Papillons. I will PM and get your info, I am just cautious about fostering the larger breeds right now as I have a frail and elderly Papillon who is a little senile and likes to boss the big dogs around, making it tough to manage a bigger dog sometimes. I know my dog will accept his bossiness (but even then I keep them separated when I am not around) but an unknown dog makes me nervous. Once he is gone I will feel better about the large breeds.

Archived