BC Boards

Good Pet Barrier and Cargo Liner for Small SUV?

DW just got a sweet little Ford Escape and wants to keep it nice. I think it will make a great vehicle to transport Cerb, et al. out to the lake or hiking. DW sez: No dog hair/drool/muddy paws on the carpet or upholstry. I sez: I'll get right on that after we get back from the dog park.

Any recommendations for a good cargo liner that also covers the back of the seats? A nice pet barrier that doesn't require drilling or adhesives?

I have a medium-sized SUV and also use a crate for my 40-lb BC. Under the crate, I have placed a piece of industrial carpet? I bought at Lowe's/HD by the running foot.

BTW, if I ever buy another crate for the car, I will look at Midwest Crates. Someone told me that they make crates sized for SUVs -- i.e. the crates are a little narrower so that 2 crates can fit side-by-side in most SUVs. Take careful measurements of your vehicle, particularly towards the top where most vehicles slant in. This is important since the floor measurement is usually bigger than the side-to-side measurement where the top of the crates will end up.

My car has remained fairly clean with the exception of hair. Since it is airborn, not much can be done to contain it. Just vacuum frequently.

Jovi

For the pet barrier I love the WeatherTech Pet Barrier. It was super easy to set up, completely adjustable, and left no marks on my car when I took it out. It makes no noise either, which is important for my noise sensitive guy.

For the cargo liner I use Lloyd RubberTite Cargo Liners. It fits my car perfectly and I haven't had a problem yet! Cheaper than the 'pet liners' out there.

Hope this helps!!

Mary

I have a Ford Escape (which I hate and intend to sell as soon as possible) and I find it inadequate for my needs (6 dogs). I have 3 crates in the back, two facing the back hatch, and one facing a side door. No more fit. Underneath the crates I use those interlocking rubber floor mats to keep dirt and water off the folded down seats. I have a pressure mounted SUV barrier so that the loose riding dog can't hop into the front seats, and I tuck a rolled up towel with the edge under the back two crates, which I unroll to cover the back bumper so the dogs don't get that all mucky hopping in and out. And I have a square of that wire cube shelving stuff zap strapped to the barrier so I have somewhere to clip and hang all my leashes etc.

I think a crate is just the best option, and if you are not trying to fit 6 dogs in an Escape, you've got plenty of room for a roomy one. It's the best way to contain the dirt etc. Hair has a mind of its own :)

RDM

I bought this from Amazon a few months ago and love it. It is supposed to work in a large variety of vehicles and has a very high customer rating overall. I'm using it in my new little Focus to keep Quinn in the Cargo Area which is about the size of a roomy crate with the back seat up. So far his long white hairs are staying out of the rest of the car and I am enjoying the novelty of having a clean car to drive. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039U7NOO/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

ETA: I am just using the cargo liner from Ford and am happy with it as well.

I bought a generic cargo liner made for a smaller SUV. I have a Saturn Vue and keep the rear seat folded foward -- the cargo liner covers all but the top 1/2" of the seats. I folded the seat forward the day I got the car and it hasn't been up even once since then. My car is a dog-mobile -- Honestly, I don't care what it looks like. I try to to vacuum up the dog hair and clean the nose prints off the window before I take it in for an oil change, but that's about it.

My preference would be for everyone to be crated, but there isn't enough room in the Vue to crate all my dogs, so they ride loose in the back. My next vehicle will be a mini van with all of the seats removed and replaced with crates.

I bought a generic cargo liner made for a smaller SUV. I have a Saturn Vue and keep the rear seat folded foward -- the cargo liner covers all but the top 1/2" of the seats. I folded the seat forward the day I got the car and it hasn't been up even once since then. My car is a dog-mobile -- Honestly, I don't care what it looks like. I try to to vacuum up the dog hair and clean the nose prints off the window before I take it in for an oil change, but that's about it.

My preference would be for everyone to be crated, but there isn't enough room in the Vue to crate all my dogs, so they ride loose in the back. My next vehicle will be a mini van with all of the seats removed and replaced with crates.

Check out the Ford Transit Connect. That's the vehicle I wanted...but since DW was the main driver, I got over ruled.

Check out the Ford Transit Connect. That's the vehicle I wanted...but since DW was the main driver, I got over ruled.

I think that is a very functional car -- and cool-looking in a geeky sort of way. If I was to get a new car (my current 7-year old car is in great shape), I would seriously consider it. Great price point and seems to have lots of room. Did you take a test drive? If so, what did you think of it for highway driving? It was released in Europe several years before being released here (track record exists) and is meant for suburban/urban driving. So I would have to get a feel for it on the interstate. Oh, and I think that it is only rear-wheel drive, and I prefer FWD or AWD, but for the price, I might consider making a concession.

Jovi

Jovi

Archived