BC Boards

Would love some help with pedigree

I know this is a long shot and I don't even know where to put this...but, I am looking for any info on a dog owned by a local roper years and years ago. I am talking 20 years. The dogs name was Rochan's Jack (2302 ABC) bred by Barbara Peterson. This is for sentimental reasons only. If anyone may know the breeder or about this bloodline, please share with me.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of all the pedigrees in this database, but so far the one's I've looked at (for dogs I've known, as I am also a bit of a pedigree connoisseur) have been accurate. http://www.pedigreed....html?id=510218

ETA: The only mistakes I've found so far were 'sins of omission'. For example, the American GSD Ch. Sugarstone's Andre A <insert fancy titles ad infinitim here> is listed there. His pedigree is correct, but only one of his progeny is listed. Since I had an Andre grandaughter, I know that Ch. Trafalgar's Latest Production, who took an AOM at WKC dog show, is an Andre son. Yet that dog isn't even listed as his progeny.

^^, that is because I put it in. And then quit. The pedigree database is phenomenal with many breeds but there where some issues with entering the Border Collie info. Can't remember the details. That was a while ago.

I did remember that I could google the breeder though. Yes, showing my age! And I actually did find her first try and talked to her. They no longer breed and apparently a lot of the lines are lost. As are apparently some of the old ranchers and folks that had her dogs.

So I will have to keep looking.

Although there are some issues with pedigreedatabase it is the most comprehensive in the world of the GSD. Since it is totally viewer driven, it covers so many dogs that you can find almost any info relating to bloodlines.

^^, that is because I put it in. And then quit.

I should have figured you would know this site, since you have GSD's as well as Border Collies. I think it's awesome if you are attempting to complete that pedigree. There are more than a few who are interested in pedigree research, and it's great to have that information documented.

I do have a question though. Since Border Collies can be registered on merit, are there a lot of gaps in the pedigrees of Border Collies in general? I realize this goes back to the fact that Border Collies' proof is in their work, so much of their background might be unknown, but I am just curious.

Terrecar,

There aren't that many that have been registered on merit, so if there are gaps, they're probably few. When you apply to ROM a dog, you do have to give as complete a pedigree as you *know* or can find out, so that also would fill in some blanks. Often the pedigree is known or mostly known, but the dog(s) weren't registered for some reason. But at any rate the percentage of ROM dogs is low, so any gaps would be small.

J.

PM me with the pedigrees and I can do some digging.

while Julie is correct with regards to more recent ABCA dogs years ago many were ROM with incomplete pedigrees not so much in ABCA as in AIBC. However it wasn't that common to do. And I think some NASD dogs were ROM too but I don't have too many of the NASD papers w/o AIBC or ABCA papers too.

Yahoo groups has a group for Border Collie pedigrees but most are show orgins and they are ONLY interested in the pedigree, coat colour etc

A coat color study of AKC Border Collies? How many shades of black and white can there be?

?? Terrecar?? The yahoo group is mainly concerned with the pedigrees they have little information on the dogs other than coat colour or show CH's won. They seldom if ever know anything about the dogs other than the stats. They wouldn't know if the dogs had balance, power or biddability.

And most are OZ, NZ

I'm sorry Pam. I was just poking a little fun at the fact that the show Border Collies all seem to look pretty much alike, and most I see are black and white.

ETA: I would imagine that rings true of the Aussie and NZ dogs, but I could be wrong.

Remember the genetic study (genome project?) that Melanie was involved in, whose results included showing that show-bred Border Collies (which are largely based on AU/NZ lines) are genetically a different breed from working-bred Border Collies. I don't have the link at hand but it was a real validation for believing that the show-bred dogs are quite distinct from the working-bred dogs.

Terrecar I see ALL sorts of colours in the show dogs. They like pink (what they call OZ red or ee red) and merles-they feel judges do not recognize these dogs as 'proper' (well something to be said for the judges ) and will only put up black and white. Well they DID want a 'standard'

Sue that is true, so the pedigree forum would not be much help. But they do have a fair number of US show people who post on there. I laugh as they cannot read an ABCA pedigree very well LOL!

And they do not understand ROM as it applies to the working dog world, only show type ROM

Archived