BC Boards

Just saw a warning out on chicken jerky treats

Tommy Coyote

I just saw this report. A whole lot of dogs have gotten sick after eating chicken jerky treats. Some have died. So far the authorities don't know what is causing the illness. And it's not just one company's products.

Probably would be a good idea to throw away the chicken jerky treats if you have any.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/dogtreat.asp

Thank you for posting this. I actually buy (or did) those chicken jerky treats because I figured there wasn't much they could mess up with 100% chicken. Little did I know... In any case, I don't know if they came from China or not, but I'm going to scrap the whole deal at this point. Thankfully I hadn't bought any in a while.

If you read carefully through the link on Snopes, you see all of the content dates from 2007. (Yes, at the VERY end it says it was last updated in 2011, but there's no info in there past 2007).

Not saying that people should go ahead and feed treats made in China - I don't do so myself (you do have to read the labels - a LOT of dog treats, rawhide, and so forth derive from countries that lack the regulations we find here). Just saying that it's a little odd that there's nothing new here since 2007.

My link

Right, but it looks like "the FDA is once again seeing the number of complaints rise to the levels of concern that prompted release of our earlier warnings" according to a November 18, 2011 FDA update (see link above).

My link

Right, but it looks like "the FDA is once again seeing the number of complaints rise to the levels of concern that prompted release of our earlier warnings" according to a November 18, 2011 FDA update (see link above).

Ah, OK, thanks - your link makes it clear it's not just "old news".

Where are you in Maryland? I am lucky in that I have a great place near me for dog products that emphasizes high quality ingredients.

Dunno about this one, but I recently received an order of a supplement (made in the US...which I do NOT think makes it entirely safe, but I do trust this one), and the reputable company (??) included a free sample of an individually packaged "chicken wrapped treat", made to look like it was chicken wrappe in bacon. Made in China. I felt guilty throwing it in the trash, thinking some poor raven or small mammal might find it in our landfill....so I disposal-ed it...hoping the fish in the river can handle what's left of it. YECH!! If I want to feed a chicken treat, I'll cook the danged bird myself!

diane

Too far to merit the drive, then.

Not necessarily. Until I found a HUGE local park just 5 minutes away (d'oh), I was driving 45 minutes and paying a rental fee just to excercise my dog for a couple of hours.

Archived