BC Boards

Up with a sick dog

Poor Spur is gassy and has diarreah (I'm too sleepy to know if I spelled that right) and so is asking to go out every two hours. Otherwise he doesn't seem in any pain. Changed his food 3 weeks ago (very gradually) and he seemed ok with it. So I'm not sure what happened. Please say a little prayer for us. 7:30 am can't get here fast enough so I can call my vet!

It could be the change in food. We had changed Nellie's food a few years ago from Taste of the Wild Bison to Taste of the Wild Lamb formula. It was probably a week or two after the complete switch that she started having issues. If the main protein source changed in the food, that could be the problem. We have pretty much determined that she is allergic to Lamb.

Hope she feels better soon.

One of the reasons I change foods frequently is so that they become less sensitive to changes...

I would recommend taking a stool sample (fresh as possible) to your vet clinic. Odds are good that the bacteria count will be high and they can send you home with metronidazole (Flagyl). That, combined with a bland diet should clear things up quickly.

If it were just the loose stool I'd say, "feed pumpkin." But when you throw in the gas issue, it becomes a bit more than the pumpkin can fix.

Yep, sent us home with Metronidazole and some I/D canned food with instructions to continue the Endosorb...so far so good, he is snoozing...I'm sure I'll be listening for him all night...I love that boy, he's such a sweetheart..

My dog and cats LOVE the I/D canned food!

And then there's Hoot... I worked all day yesterday, then we went out to dinner, so it was a boring day for the dogs. Hoot was whining to go out every two hours last night. He only whines if he HAS TO GO NOW. So I took him out... He grabs a stick and goes boinging around. *sigh* Not appropriate, Hoot! Someone spent most of the night in his kennel...

Hope your pup recovers quickly, and that you get some sleep.

That prescription dog food is expensive! You can buy chicken leg quarters and boil them in enough water to cover them. Strain them. The broth makes great "chicken cubes" to use in sauces and such if you freeze it in ice-cube tray. Pick off the meat and chop it up fine. Then measure the chicken. Cook up an equal measure of water and half the measure of rice (rice doubles in cooking, so you'll have equal rice and chicken). Mix it all together. It works just as well.

The meds are also exorbitant. You can get the same thing as an aquarium supply. It comes in half the dose, which is what I needed anyhow. I checked on some med sites I have. Yes, it really is the same stuff but way cheaper.

Archived