BC Boards

Getting a puppy ready

Pippin's person

We have a new 7-week old pup in the house. He is trial-bred from two very good open dogs. We needed a new dog like we needed a hole in the roof (or in our heads), but the dam isn't going to be bred again and we have loved her style, ethic and ability since the first time we saw her. So it goes.

The other two little puppies we've raised were before we understood what a joy herding would become for us and so we just raised them. The one other trial-bred dog we have came to us at 6 1/2 mos--so basically already grown.

My question: What do y'all think are the three most important things to do/keep in mind in this very early period of our puppy's life to prepare him for working stock (though, of course, to his future chagrin, he'll be living in the suburbs for at least a little while longer).

Thanks

Robin

Here's a pic of the little squirt

kyzersmaller.JPG

I will offer my opinion, but am very new at all of this, so I hope more wise persons reply!

I would say just work on making sure your pup is well socialized to everything, people, things, other dogs. Take him out everywhere, and teach him boundaries in life. Basically mold him to be a good boy. My pup had only limited exposure to stock at a young age (interacted with chooks and met pigs), but she was socialized very well, and she is a real joy to have out with, and is friendly to everyone. It makes it SO much nicer when you have a "sane" dog (I can say that because I have one who isn't!)

Julie

Robin,

My thoughts on the three most important things:

1. Teach him to take a verbal correction (aaht!, hey!, something that simply conveys "what you are doing is wrong, stop it, and try something else"--this will come in handy when it's time to train on stock, and it's great for when they go through the pants leg attack stage and other nuisance behaviors).

2. Basic manners and socialization

3. Let him be a puppy (most important of all!)

J.

Julie's suggestions are great! I would add that teaching a lie down at any distance, a good recall, stay, that'll do (leave whatever it is doing and come to you). Also, use "here" instead of "come". When you get into taining and he has to learn "come by" he may only hear 'come' and you will have much confusion! These are basics that will make the training go faster in the beginning, as you will have 'some' control over the pup before he gets into the pen with the sheep. These are things the trainer won't have to spend time teaching IOW.

Good luck to you and congrats on new pup!

Originally posted by juliepoudrier:

Robin,

My thoughts on the three most important things:

1. Teach him to take a verbal correction (aaht!, hey!, something that simply conveys "what you are doing is wrong, stop it, and try something else"--this will come in handy when it's time to train on stock, and it's great for when they go through the pants leg attack stage and other nuisance behaviors).

2. Basic manners and socialization

3. Let him be a puppy (most important of all!)

J.

My 10wo pup is all mouth right now, so we're pretty heavy into verbal corrections. I've sort of just continued to use the words I've always used to discourage nuisance behaviors (phooey, ack, arrr, quit it); do you think such variety is less effective with a BC pup?

Also, when we are out with other dogs (one or two) she chases around to their heads. I can't tell if she's still seeking face contact as a pup is likely to do, or if she's actually trying to head them off. I know she ought not be allowed to herd dogs or cats, but how's a mom to know?

She is a smarty pants, that she is.

Chris O

Thanks everyone--nice advice (not all that different from "regular" puppy raising).

We taught our dogs "wait" instead of "stay" and of course "come"--they've all had to relearn since "wait" sounds like "away" and "come" like come bye--particular for those dogs who incline toward second guessing....

With the pup--right now we're working on housetraining, name recognition, meeting lots of new people, and being crated with chewtoys. They have to learn so much in so little time--and then there's the whole world of toys, kitties and other big dogs....

Robin

If you've mastered using your whistle, you can teach it your "that'll do" whistle --you don't need stock to teach that and it can come in handy later (of course maybe not right away--lots of things go right out the window those first few times they're on sheep!) As far as different words sounding like other commands, they seem to know the difference in context. I've been questioned before about my dog Rae's name rhyming with "away", but I've never noticed a problem with it.

Renee

I named a whole series of dogs Ben, Jen, Don, and Ann. I just couldn't stop. I ran out of three letter names that end in "N" and now I have "Ted" instead. In spite of how similiar all these names sound I never had a problem with the dogs getting confused with each other's names.

Dogs pick up pretty easily on other cues you give them - we must seem to them like the annoying person on Boards, who type in all caps. We don't just call "That'll do!" but we throw in their names, pat our legs, and maybe even throw in a "Here!"

I had someone who purchased a trained goosedog from me call me to say she was bringing the dog back, it wasn't properly trained. "What the heck?" I thought, since last I heard the dog was doing fine. She had leased Jaff to someone who was dissatisfied because he didn't ALWAYS come back for his "That will be all, stop now, come here!" command. She could hardly get to the end of this description without laughing. The miracle is that he actually did come back eventually! She took Jaff back from this guy gladly, and said she'd get back to the trainer on that one.

With that said, it does pay to start early being very clear and consistent. It builds trust and that's the most important thing your pup can learn now. Learning about corrections does that too.