BC Boards

normal?

hi guys! i have a grooming-esq question. is it normal that sam sheds in clumps? he sheds normally--leaving hair everywhere (but not nearly as bad as our lab lol) but then i find clumps of hair. and its almost daily. he doesnt have any balding spots so im not too worried about it. just wondering if this is a normal b.c. shedding pattern? thanks!

You can get a lot of the dead, loose undercoat out with an undercoat rake or a Furminator (I prefer the undercoat rake personally, though the Furminator is dramatic). When you notice clumps in the house/on the dog, take the pupper outside and give him a good raking--you'll be shocked at what comes out (birds LOVE it). Ours blow their undercoats about twice a year--spring and fall. Just started noticing clumps on our roughest coated dog, so we may have fun this week-end!

Blahkkkk

I hate the blow our coat times. All my dogs are blowing right now. I think I get it all off then a few days later I notice more clumps and have to start over. I can't imagine that they are not bald by now!

Our birds don't use our clumps, it just lays around the yard and house looking like dead animals!

Never did like the furminator but love the undercoat rake, and contrary to Julie's dogs, mine love a good raking as long as I'm not to rough. Raven comes up just for me to pluck her. I think it makes them itchy to have all that dead hair on them.

Yep, they only take so much of either but I keep rotating each so I do a leg or side, move to a different dog and they get back in line for another round. Might just be the attention they're after.

I quit sweeping, I just bend over an pick up a glob every time I walk by one. If yoy have an attic fan, turn it on for a minute. It pulls all the globs out from under the furniture. Sorta scary! ;)

lol, I used to think I shed hair more than my Eluane, but not anymore! This year is the Year of Recordbreaking clumps, lol! Either that or my hair is thinning / greying and I just don't realize it yet (less long hair to shed) ! :P

Archived