BC Boards

Lost a lamb-looking to get a LGD

coyotecreek

Many will probably question why I didnt get some sort of guardian when I first got my sheep..I felt my fences were quite good (5 foot no climb with pipe toprail)..my dogs couldnt even get in..

Well, something DID last weekend..I am going with coyote or bobcat, and it ate my son's market lamb..and tore my ram up real good..:(..

I am bringing them in at night now, but I am now considering that I probably do need to get some sort of guardian for my sheep..specificaly a dog.

I am in north Texas..can anyone direct me to anyone in this "general" area who might have LGD's? I've cruised craigslist with minimal success (found a great dog, but she was already rehomed by the time I got in touch with the owners.., googled, again, minimal success, so now am calling in stockdog contacts. :)

as for breed..I am open..I honestly havent seen any huge red signs on any of the standard breeds used for LGD's that say I SHOULDNT get that particular breed..if I wanted to be picky, I could say I like the way a Great Pyr "looks"..but it's ability to protect my flock and at least be "cordial" to being handled (as it would have to be handled to be put up when I work my BC on the sheep) are of utmost importance.

Anything you feel I am missing here..please, dont hesitate to let me know..

Sarah

Working LGD parents

Owners have stock, raise stock.

Raised with stock

Breed I think depends on circumstances

I use A crossbred from Tamarack farms because they are very good with goofy people climbing in with the sheep, some breeds might not tolerate that too well.

Maybe Anna Guthrie (StockDogRanch) will answer this when she gets back from Soldier Hollow, where she is doing set-out. She's got two crossbred LGDs that she thinks the world of. She could put you onto the breeder, who does raise them with stock and gives them a proper start.

After you find one, get Tea to name him for you. I love "Sgt. Jesus Kowalski!"

Once predators "discover" your livestock is an easy source of food, you are pretty well sunk without some kind of livestock guardian. Llamas are truly not aggressive enough(as a general rule), donkeys are certainly aggressive enough, but may also be aggressive with the stock they are suppose to be protecting. An LGD is a good way to go, especially once you already have a problem with predators. Granted LGDs may require a learning curve and innovation on your part. How to feed the dog, etc. You will find it well worth the effort. An LGD or multiple LGDs will give you peace of mind and save your stock. Depending on the predator load and type you may need more than one LGD. Do research, lots of research, talk to area farmers who use LGDs. Try to find a breeder that will help you with your LGD when you have questions, that support can be important.

You might want to check out the yahoo group, workingLGDs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Another good place to research and look is edgefieldsheep.com/bb where they have forums on guardian animals and have breeders who use LGDs on a regular basis and offer valuable information.

Good luck

yes I agree an LGD is the perfect choice for you. If your fences are that good you are double blessed. you'll be able to keep the dog from wandering.

Choice of breed is personal to each situation.

A great Pyr is a nice choice if you have lots of people interacting with your sheep. Haven't seen a people aggressive Pyr yet. But guess they're out there.

I have had Pyr's cross, pyrs and Akbash.

Favorites were the cross pyrs. Healthy and less hairy.

People ask

'Where is Tea'

'T is with Jesus, now.'

This causes some concern if they do not pronouce it in the latino way.

;D

thanks everyone..:)

Ive found afew potential dogs..but they are aways from me..like I'd have to have them shipped..:(

Everything I find local is sold or rehomed by the time I get in touch with the owners..frustrating..

I dont mind putting my sheep up at night..gives the dogs good practice..but this was probably a long time coming..

I would say definitely get a dog bred for the work, and started properly by the breeder for the work. Anything else is a crap shoot. I'm thrilled with the two I got from LoveTree Farms in WI. Mary has been breeding these dogs for years and really knows what she is doing. Yes, it requires shipping, but it has been worth every penny!

A

thanks for the suggestion..

I think I might have found a potential dog..still working out specifics, but I think this could be a good situation..will keep advised.

Well, looks like I am going to pick up an older pyr female this weekend..she has been guarding sheep and goats..likes to eat chickens, so is needing a new home..I have no chickens and she would be totally contained with the sheep..

Hoping this helps drive off whatever critter got my lamb.

If you have heavy predator pressure (or big predators like bears and cougars), you should consider having a second guard dog, especially if the first is older. One dog might be able to discourage individual predators, but will have a much more difficult time against a pack.

Now that you're getting one, start looking for a second...

(I am actually getting a weanling donkey this weekend. I plan to raise her with the sheep and one of the guard dogs. I'm hoping she's young enough to bond to the sheep and not do any damage and can get used to the dog, since it will be a while before she's old enough to protect on her own. We don't have heavy predator pressure here and the pasture is not near the house, so a donkey is a better choice as I don't have to worry about a guard dog getting out where I can't see it and wandering over there. I'll let you know how it works out.)

J.

Thankfully, we have no bears..and while there are cougars in the "general" area, Ive not seen them..I think they are far and few between..main threat is coyotes..and big bobcats..My sheep pasture is not right next to the house..but it is close enough where I can see it..the fencing is good, so I plan to just keep the dog in with them back there...I still dont know how whatever it was got into my sheep area..the fencing is stout..:(

Archived