BC Boards

3 yr Vaccine Relabeled as 1 yr

The USDA allows vaccine manufacturers to relabel their 3 year rabies vaccines as 1 year products. This link http://www.calmanimalcare.com/vaccine.htm , you will be taken to the Calm Animal Care website, which has posted Colorado State University's Small Animal Vaccination Protocol for its veterinary teaching hospital, which states:"Even with rabies vaccines, the label may be misleading in that a three year duration of immunity product may also be labeled and sold as a one year duration of immunity product."

"In the case of Defensor 1 and Defensor 3 vaccines made by Pfizer, testing is the only difference between the products. 'The formulations are the same, but regulatory requirements for the one- and three-year vaccines are different, requiring distinct and separate studies for each label,' said Pfizer spokesman Richard Chambers."

States Consider Controlling Rabies Vaccination Intervals, by Edie Lau The Veterinary Information Network News Service 8/12/11 http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=19501

According to Dr. Ronald Schultz of the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine, "There is no benefit from annual rabies vaccination and most one year rabies products are similar or identical to the 3-year products with regard to duration of immunity and effectiveness. However, if they are 1 year rabies vaccines, they must be legally given annually!" from What Everyone Needs to Know about Canine Vaccines

http://www.puliclub.org/CHF/AKC2007Conf/What%20Everyone%20Needs%20to%20Know%20About%20Canine%20Vaccines.htm

In an April 1, 2008 DVM360 article entitled, Canine Vaccine Update (Proceedings) http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/avhc/Medicine/Canine-vaccine-update-Proceedings/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/562405 by Dr. Craig Datz states that, "..some brands of rabies vaccine are identical whether labeled as 1- or 3-year..."

2006 Canine & Feline Vaccination Guidelines, A Forum on Issues and Controversies by Dr. Richard B. Ford, DVM, Professor of Medicine, North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine http://www.hcvma.org/notes/SpeakerNotesRichardFord.pdf Table 2 on Page 4 states: Vaccine Type: Rabies, 1-year: Minimum Duration of Immunity: 3 Years (must be administered annually)

The implication of this post is that the vaccine companies are screwing pet owners.

The vaccine companies are fulfilling orders for 1 year vaccines with a product that meets or exceeds what was ordered. The customer (clinics, vet supply companies, distributers, etc) gets what they ordered.

From a manufacturing stand point it would be stupid (increase costs and lead to higher prices) to have 2 manufacturing lines for 1 and 3 year vaccines when the 3 year product meets or exceeds the specifications for the 1 year product. If customers continue to order a 1 year vaccine the manufacturers will continue to sell a vaccine labeled with 1 year DOI.

I didn't read it that the manufacturer was screwing the pet owner. I read it as yet another confirmation that the manufacturers client was, the veterinary practices that order the product.

We've known for some time that the products were the same just labeled differently. That's what is scary, dogs getting a 3 year vaccine yearly, due to the office "policy" and vet clients not being educated to know the potentially life threatening consequences.

The point of the information is that pet owners need to educate themselves and make sure that when their dog is due for a rabies booster, they request a 3 year vaccine and make sure they receive a 3 year certificate.

Despite what the thread title implies, the issue is not the relabeling but that 1 year vaccines are being sold when 3 year vaccines are available (regardless of how each are manufactured or labeled.

"3 yr Vaccine Relabeled as 1 yr" was felt to be more catchy than "Why buy 1 year Vaccine when 3 year Vaccine is available?"

I didn't read it that the manufacturer was screwing the pet owner. I read it as yet another confirmation that the manufacturers client was, the veterinary practices that order the product.

We've known for some time that the products were the same just labeled differently. That's what is scary, dogs getting a 3 year vaccine yearly, due to the office "policy" and vet clients not being educated to know the potentially life threatening consequences.

What life-threatening consequences? Is there a peer-reviewed, properly conducted study that shows that the incidence of life-threatening complications is higher in animals vaccinated annually with a "one-year" rabies vaccine versus being vaccinated annually with a three year vaccine?

Is there any evidence that being vaccinated annually with a one-year vaccine produces more adverse reactions that being vaccinated every three yeas with a three year vaccine?

I'd be willing to bet that whether veterinary practices order a one-year vaccine or a three-year vaccine is more a product of their regulatory environment than their business model. In other words, if most local jurisdictions require dogs to be vaccinated annually, most veterinarians in those jurisdictions will order the one-year vaccine. The manufacturer is allowed to change the label, so they do. Chances are, most vet's don't even know that the two products are the same.

What life-threatening consequences? Is there a peer-reviewed, properly conducted study that shows that the incidence of life-threatening complications is higher in animals vaccinated annually with a "one-year" rabies vaccine versus being vaccinated annually with a three year vaccine?

Is there any evidence that being vaccinated annually with a one-year vaccine produces more adverse reactions that being vaccinated every three yeas with a three year vaccine?

Try looking here - http://www.thedogplace.org/VACCINES/Articles.asp

I think many of your questions can be answered.

I'd be willing to bet that whether veterinary practices order a one-year vaccine or a three-year vaccine is more a product of their regulatory environment than their business model. In other words, if most local jurisdictions require dogs to be vaccinated annually, most veterinarians in those jurisdictions will order the one-year vaccine. The manufacturer is allowed to change the label, so they do. Chances are, most vet's don't even know that the two products are the same.

Um if that's the case I think you're incorrect. I don't think *most* jurisdictions require an annual shot in the US. If a vet is unaware of the 3 yr vaccine being one in the same, with a 1 yr, I myself would be worried about whatelse they are unaware of. This isn't new info. My vet told his clients this 5 years ago or more.

What Pearse is saying is just because state laws allow for 3 year vaccinations does not automatically mean that the local jurisdictions MUST follow suit. There are some states with laws that dictate local compliance while there are others that clearly say it leaves it up to the local jurisdictions to decide on the vaccination schedule.

According to information compiled by the AVMA and updated on Jan 2011 Texas, Georgia, and Virginia are two states with allow the local jurisdictions to dictate vaccination schedules.

Rabies State Laws

From the GA Rabies Control Law

31-19-5. Inoculation of canines and felines against rabies.

The county boards of health are empowered and required to adopt and promulgate rules and regulations requiring canines and felines to be inoculated against rabies and to prescribe the intervals and means of inoculation, ......

There are 159 counties in GA and 159 autonomous rabies vaccination schedules.

Some state laws indicate the vaccination schedule is based upon vaccine used which leaves open the possibility the local jurisdictions can dictate the vaccine used.

This is a HUGE country, there is no way for our local experiences to be representative of how things are done everywhere in the country.

This is an extensive list of opinions and observations. I'm not seeing any published studies in peer-reviewed journals. This does not mean those opinions are incorrect only that they are still opinions and have not been tested with well controlled studies that eliminate (or lat least reduce) other sources of the observed symptoms. The problem with epidemiological studies that correlations can be seen but they are not proven cause and effect. A great example is vaccines cause autism.

This is an example of an epidemiological study which suggests a link between one vaccine and a cancer; however, it cannot prove the vaccine caused the cancer. Controlled study must be preformed to do that.

Comparison of fibrosarcomas that developed at vaccination sites and at nonvaccination sites in cats: 239 cases (1991-1992)

What life-threatening consequences?

The Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association April 1, 2008 issue, Vol. 232, No. 7, entitled: Postmarketing Surveillance of Rabies Vaccines for Dogs to Evaluate Safety and Efficacy. "Rabies vaccines are the most common group of biological products identified in adverse event reports received by the CVB." They give the following description of the adverse reaction followed by the % of dogs affected: Vomiting-28.1%, Facial Swelling-26.3%, Injection Site Swelling or Lump-19.4%, Lethargy-12%, Urticaria-10.1%, Circulatory shock-8.3%, Injection site pain-7.4%, Pruritus-7.4%, Injection site alopecia or hair loss-6.9%, Death-5.5%, Lack of Consciousness-5.5, Diarrhea-4.6%, Hypersensitivity (not specified)-4.6%, Fever-4.1%, Anaphylaxis-2.8%, Ataxia-2.8%, Lameness-2.8%, General signs of pain-2.3%, Hyperactivity-2.3%, Injection site scab or crust-2.3%, Muscle tremor-2.3%, Tachycardia-2.3%, and Thrombocytopenia-2.3%.

Yes, there is: Moore, George E. et als., Adverse events diagnosed within three days of Vaccine Administration in Dogs, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Vol 227, No. 7, October 1, 2005

Animals—1,226,159 dogs vaccinated at 360 veterinary hospitals.

The risk of allergic reaction has been reported to increase after the third or fourth injection of a vaccine (ie, a booster response).

I can't tell you how many times dog owners contact me asking for help in changing their "annual" ordinances to a 3 year protocol, only to find out when researching the ordinances that they do allow for a 3 year rabies vaccine, but the dog owner's veterinarian had told them annual boosters are required by teh city or county. This happened last week with a dog owner in Bulloch County, Georgia. If you click on the following link, you'll be taken to an investigative news report that uncovers veterinarians in Minnesota giving a 3 year rabies vaccine every 2 years. Not all veterinarians are honest, pet owners must be informed and proactive. RABIES VACCINE INVESTIGATION IN MINNESOTA -- Fox News 7/27/11 http://www.myfoxtwincities.com​/dpp/news/investigative/invest​igators-vet%2C-vaccines-and-va​garies-jul-27-2011 Veterinarians giving 3 year rabies vaccine every 2 years

In other words, if most local jurisdictions require dogs to be vaccinated annually, most veterinarians in those jurisdictions will order the one-year vaccine.

In my experience with dealing with rabies vaccine laws and ordinances over the course of 7 years, most local jurisdictions do not require annual rabies boosters; however most do require annual licensing for dogs, which can be done with a "current" rabies certificate.

I'm concerned about over vaccination, and appreciate all you're doing Kris.

Having a border collie in the past have a severe reaction the day after a shot ( high fever, staggering walking) and being very concerned.

I now have a border collie that has severe grand maul seizures after rabies, happened twice, and will try and get a waver, if not, I will not vaccinate and hope for the best. ( not getting caught )

After searching, I can't find when the last time a dog in the (United States) has bitten a person and gave them rabies? I've found other countries, but none here.

Now, I'm not anti - vaccine, - parvo, distemper etc. are all necessary to a degree ( too many boosters) these viruses can spread dog to dog, and are needed. Non- vaccinated rabies dog does not spread the virus. We're worried our dogs will get rabies from a rabid raccoon, skunk etc and then bite a person? I would like to see rabies vaccination be a volunteer measure. I personally would take that chance with my dogs, I hike, live in the suburbs where their have been rabid animals caught occasionally maybe every 10 years or so.... This does not seem like a necessary vaccine, unless someone can explain other wise? Please do..... This vaccine makes no sense to me, if we're so worried about a person getting rabies, than let people get them!

Kris what can I do to help the rabies challenge?

Thank-you!

Kate

read this

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2244675/

In India, about 15 million people are bitten by animals, mostly dogs, every year and need postexposure prophylaxis. Since 1985, India has reported an estimated 25 000–30 000 human deaths from rabies annually (the lower estimate is based on projected statistics from isolation hospitals in 1985).2 The majority of people who die of rabies are people of poor or low-income socioeconomic status.3 The incidence of death from rabies in Asia is given in Figure 2.5 Because rabies is not a notifiable disease in India and there is no organized surveillance system of human or animal cases, the actual number of deaths may be much higher. The latest figure projected from the National Multicentric Rabies Survey, conducted in 2004 by the Association for Prevention and Control of Rabies in India in collaboration with the World Health Organization,1 is 20 565 deaths from rabies per year.

Most animal bites in India (91.5%) are by dogs, of which about 60% are strays and 40% pets. The incidence of animal bites is 17.4 per 1000 population. A person is bitten every 2 seconds, and someone dies from rabies every 30 minutes. The annual number of person-days lost because of animal bites is 38 million, and the cost of post-bite treatment is about $25 million.

Just a few stats from a place that does not require rabies vaccinations for dogs.

This is from the CDC

Rabies in the US

Over the last 100 years, rabies in the United States has changed dramatically. More than 90% of all animal cases reported annually to CDC now occur in wildlife; before 1960 the majority were in domestic animals. The principal rabies hosts today are wild carnivores and bats.

The number of rabies-related human deaths in the United States has declined from more than 100 annually at the turn of the century to one or two per year in the 1990's. Modern day prophylaxis has proven nearly 100% successful.

The reason the incidence of rabies has decreased in the US is due to vaccination of dogs. On this subject I'd prefer to not go back to the good old days.

The Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association April 1, 2008 issue, Vol. 232, No. 7, entitled: Postmarketing Surveillance of Rabies Vaccines for Dogs to Evaluate Safety and Efficacy. "Rabies vaccines are the most common group of biological products identified in adverse event reports received by the CVB." They give the following description of the adverse reaction followed by the % of dogs affected: Vomiting-28.1%, Facial Swelling-26.3%, Injection Site Swelling or Lump-19.4%, Lethargy-12%, Urticaria-10.1%, Circulatory shock-8.3%, Injection site pain-7.4%, Pruritus-7.4%, Injection site alopecia or hair loss-6.9%, Death-5.5%, Lack of Consciousness-5.5, Diarrhea-4.6%, Hypersensitivity (not specified)-4.6%, Fever-4.1%, Anaphylaxis-2.8%, Ataxia-2.8%, Lameness-2.8%, General signs of pain-2.3%, Hyperactivity-2.3%, Injection site scab or crust-2.3%, Muscle tremor-2.3%, Tachycardia-2.3%, and Thrombocytopenia-2.3%.

This is misleading as it suggests that the rate of adverse reactions is high. For example, 5.5% of all dogs receiving rabies vaccines do not die. Of the 217 adverse effect incidents looked at in this study, 12 (5.5%) involved cases where the dog died, but that is 12% of 0.0038% or 0.00046%. These figures are not absolute percentages but rather mean; of the adverse reactions observed, the following is the breakdown... The article also states that these were figures from cases were rabies vaccines were ONE of the products administered, so the adverse reactions may have been due to something else.

In nearly 72% of the dogs of these reports, other vaccine or medicinal products were administered in conjunction with the rabies vaccine. In those instances, it was generally not possible to determine which product or products might be most closely linked to the adverse event.

In the three years of the study period, there were 217 adverse reactions reported. An overall rate of 8.3/100,000 or 0.0083% for all animal species to which the vaccine was administered. They go on to say that this is in line with other studies and there is no reason to believe that the number for dogs specificlally is any higher.

Yes, there is: Moore, George E. et als., Adverse events diagnosed within three days of Vaccine Administration in Dogs, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Vol 227, No. 7, October 1, 2005

Animals—1,226,159 dogs vaccinated at 360 veterinary hospitals.

The risk of allergic reaction has been reported to increase after the third or fourth injection of a vaccine (ie, a booster response).

This is even more misleading. First of all, the paper you cited did not even look at rabies vaccination spefically. Nor did it look at the effect of 1yr rabes vaccines versus 3 year vaccines.

What it did look at was the increased incidence of adverse effects when multiple vaccines were administered in the same visit. They noticed a significant increase when more than three vaccines were administered at the same time.

They also reported a higher overall rate of adverse events (0.38% in dogs <10kg, 0.15% in dogs 10-45kg, 100x higher than the previous study), which they attribute to using actual clinical data rather than adverse reactions reported (frequently under-reported because reporting is not mandatory outside of clinical trials). But, again, they were not looking only at rabies vaccination but all vaccinations where more than one vaccine was administered at the same time.

The quote "the risk of allergic reaction has been reported to increase after the third or fourth injection of a vaccine..." is a citation of a review article in a book (not primary data) and no data are presented as to the time frame of the administration of the booster dose (it is more likely that adverse reactions will be seen in booster doses given closer together). The prior study; "Martinod S. Adverse effects of vaccination. In: Pastoret P,Blancou J, Vannier P, eds. Veterinary vaccinology. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science, 1997;574–580" . So, the two studies you cited:

- do not present any data on risks associated with 1yr vs 3 yr intervals of rabies vaccinations

- do not present any data on risks associated with annual vaccination with rabies vaccine.

- show that there is at most a 0.0038% reported adverse incident rate for rabies vaccines where in 72% of the cases, a second medication or vaccination was administered at the same time as the vaccine (study 1)

- a 0.38% risk of adverse reaction when two or more vaccines are administered at the same time (0.15% in dogs 10kg - 45 kg) (study 2).

After searching, I can't find when the last time a dog in the (United States) has bitten a person and gave them rabies? I've found other countries, but none here.

Now, I'm not anti - vaccine, - parvo, distemper etc. are all necessary to a degree ( too many boosters) these viruses can spread dog to dog, and are needed. Non- vaccinated rabies dog does not spread the virus. We're worried our dogs will get rabies from a rabid raccoon, skunk etc and then bite a person? I would like to see rabies vaccination be a volunteer measure. I personally would take that chance with my dogs

I personally, would not take the chance with your dogs. I'd rather not leave my safety in your hands. Therefore, I'd rather that you, and everyone else, had their dogs vaccinated against rabies. Rabies is endemic to North America. It is present in wildlife. Left to their own devices, many owners would choose not to vaccinate.

The reason you can't find when the last time a dog in the US has bitten a person and given them rabies is because almost every dog in the US is vaccinated against rabies.

In 1947, there were >6,949 cases of dogs with rabies in the US. In 2006, 71 (Blanton JD, Hanlon CA, Rupprecht CE. Rabies surveillance in the United States during 2006. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2007;231:540–556.)

A non-vaccinated dog infected with rabies from a skunk bite CAN spread the virus. A vaccinated dog, most likely will not.

In North America, human exposure to rabies is extremely rare with the most common source being bites from bats (CDC data) but only 74 reported exposures have been recorded in the last 15 years. In the developing world 99% of all rabies cases are from dog bites so no, I'm not willing to go back to a time when dogs were not vaccinated or when vaccination was "optional".

The problem with epidemiological studies that correlations can be seen but they are not proven cause and effect. A great example is vaccines cause autism.

The bigger problem with the autism/measles vaccine study was the the data were falsified and over-interpreted to satisfy a particular pre-held opinion or agenda. Those manipulated data, and false conclusions led many concerned parents to not vaccinate their children. That led to serious illness and death in some cases.

I think Kris is correct. The evidence shows that three year rabies vaccines are efficacious and provide adequate protection. There is a small risk of adverse reaction with any vaccination. Therefore, it is prudent to vaccinate only as often as is necessary to provide immunity, and state, local governments, and veterinarians ought to be made aware of the most recent data and adjust their regulations and practice accordingly.

Pearse

I don't know when the last case of a human contracting rabies from a dog in the United States was, but the following will give you data from 1995-2009: Center for Disease Control Cases of Rabies in Human Beings in the United States, by Circumstances of Exposure and Rabies Virus Variant, 1995-2009 http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/surveillance/human_rabies.html

Of the 46 human cases of rabies reported from 1995 through 2009, not one case was contracted from a dog or cat in the United States. 34 bats, 1 fox, 1 racoon, 1 mongoose

We're worried our dogs will get rabies from a rabid raccoon, skunk etc and then bite a person? I would like to see rabies vaccination be a volunteer measure.

Personally, I believe that all dogs should be vaccinated against rabies.

Thank you, Pearse, for clarifying what seemed to me to be easily-misinterpreted data. I, too, felt it was misleading in the way in which it was presented. And thank you, Mark, for your input (as always).

I do certainly agree with Kristine that with a three-year vaccine available and proven effective, there really appears to be no valid reason for requiring vaccination annually (once a dog or youngster has had the proper first and second vaccinations).

I understand that in the case of the individual animal (or person) who has a serious adverse or deadly reaction to a vaccination, it is certainly a horrible and potentially tragic experience - but so is a case of rabies or exposure to rabies, and so are many of the other significant diseases against which vaccines offer protection.

It is a sad thing that while millions benefit from the judicious use of vaccination, a relatively very tiny number will suffer a significant or even fatal reaction. But is that justification for millions to lose the protection that vaccination affords? I don't think so.

It is a sad thing that while millions benefit from the judicious use of vaccination, a relatively very tiny number will suffer a significant or even fatal reaction. But is that justification for millions to lose the protection that vaccination affords? I don't think so.

WOW, thanks for the support, seeing your dog having a grand maul seizure is the worst imaginable. Knowing it IS rabies vaccination. I will do anything possible NOT having my dog vaccinated against rabies ever again.

He's 7 now and already had more vaccines to last his lifetime. Personally, I think the data is much higher then reported, many people don't report

abnormalities to their vet, many people go to work the next day after a rabies shot, not knowing their dog is in trouble at home. Many people don't know the connection of a vaccine and their dogs problems. Many Many vets won't acknowledge there is a problem with "over vaccination". ( as I said, I'm not against it, just too many, and too many boosters) someone said they don't want to go back to the good old days....what do you mean, were is the data of all the rabid dogs of the past? You showed a link to India, I know all about other countries, I want to know about the U.S. Rabies is all about your dog not getting rabies from another wild animal, BUT the main reason is to protect people getting bit by a rabid dog, which is such a roundabout reason.

Show me links to all these rabid dogs of the past in the U.S. not other countries.

My dog was vaccinated last spring and had a grand maul seizure, according to Dr. Jean Dodds and many other vets my dog should have enough immunity for the next 7 years or more.

How does rabies spread?

The rabies virus is transmitted in the saliva of infected animals. People usually become infected with the virus by being bitten by an infected animal, but any contact with the saliva of an infected animal (alive or dead) can potentially lead to infection if the person has an opening in the skin or the saliva gets into their eyes, nose, or mouth.

You cannot get rabies from the blood, urine, or feces of a rabid animal, or from just touching or petting an animal.

I think Kris is correct. The evidence shows that three year rabies vaccines are efficacious and provide adequate protection. There is a small risk of adverse reaction with any vaccination. Therefore, it is prudent to vaccinate only as often as is necessary to provide immunity, and state, local governments, and veterinarians ought to be made aware of the most recent data and adjust their regulations and practice accordingly.

Pearse

Yes this I completely agree with (mark it on a calendar :) )

If anything I said implied that I was against giving *a* rabies vaccine at all my apologies. We need the vaccine, just not yearly if effective for 3.

Now, I'm not anti - vaccine, - parvo, distemper etc. are all necessary to a degree ( too many boosters) these viruses can spread dog to dog, and are needed. Non- vaccinated rabies dog does not spread the virus. We're worried our dogs will get rabies from a rabid raccoon, skunk etc and then bite a person? I would like to see rabies vaccination be a volunteer measure. I personally would take that chance with my dogs, I hike, live in the suburbs where their have been rabid animals caught occasionally maybe every 10 years or so.... This does not seem like a necessary vaccine, unless someone can explain other wise? Please do..... This vaccine makes no sense to me, if we're so worried about a person getting rabies, than let people get them!

I wouldn't worry about getting it from my dog, I'd worry about my dog getting it and dying. If you dog gets parvo or distemper they still have a chance of surviving it. And a person wouldn't get it. Rabies is 100% fatal. And not uncommon in wild animals in this country. IMO Rabies is the one vaccine should be mandatory.

A month or so ago there was an article in a local paper where a rabid bat flew into a woman's house and bit her and her dog. She underwent a series of vaccines, but if the dog hadn't been vaccinated he would euthanized. Weird stuff happens. and rabies is 100% fatal for animals and fatal without treatment for humans.

Check with your local health department about the numbers of rabid animals. You might be surprised at what is in your area.

But I do agree that laws could be updated and include exemptions once a dog has received the initial vaccine series and drop the antiquated quarantine requirements for dogs that have been properly vaccinated. The vaccine is very effective and long lasting.

WOW, thanks for the support, seeing your dog having a grand maul seizure is the worst imaginable. Knowing it IS rabies vaccination. I will do anything possible NOT having my dog vaccinated against rabies ever again...

I am very sorry that your dog has seizures and that both of you suffer. I am simply not sorry that many, many dogs and cats do not contract rabies because they have been vaccinated; and they do not expose their humans and other animals because they have contracted rabies.

...Personally, I think the data is much higher then reported, many people don't report

abnormalities to their vet...

I, too, think there are some reactions that are never reported but thinking it's "much" higher (in terms of significant reactions) is something I doubt but also realize that there apparently isn't hard data about.

Rabies is all about your dog not getting rabies from another wild animal, BUT the main reason is to protect people getting bit by a rabid dog, which is such a roundabout reason.

And your point being? Should we just use a rabies vaccine on people and not on dogs or cats or other animals?

Show me links to all these rabid dogs of the past in the U.S. not other countries. My dog was vaccinated last spring and had a grand maul seizure, according to Dr. Jean Dodds and many other vets my dog should have enough immunity for the next 7 years or more.

If immunity were to last many more years than the vaccine is currently listed for, that would be a wonderful advance and, hopefully, legislation would follow suit to bring the vaccination interval to a length of time to reflect that.

How does rabies spread?

The rabies virus is transmitted in the saliva of infected animals. People usually become infected with the virus by being bitten by an infected animal, but any contact with the saliva of an infected animal (alive or dead) can potentially lead to infection if the person has an opening in the skin or the saliva gets into their eyes, nose, or mouth.

You cannot get rabies from the blood, urine, or feces of a rabid animal, or from just touching or petting an animal.

I am well aware of how rabies spreads. The method of spread is not the issue - preventing animals from contracting rabies is, both for their own sake and for the sake of the people who handle them. That is why we not only vaccinate our dogs and cats, but also our cattle and horse. For their sake and for ours, and for the health and well-being of all who come into contact with them.

You may live in a situation where the likelihood of exposure to rabid animals is miniscule - but many people live where there are active populations of skunks, raccoons, bats, and other wildlife that are known to have rabies in their populations. One farmer in VA lost two bulls - diagnosis, rabies. One farmer in NY lost a horse - diagnosis, rabies. These are just two individuals that I know.

People like to talk about vaccines as if every one of them for the same virus are made exactly the same; they are not. I like to use analogies from everyday life to help explain technical issues for people. So here you go.

Let's say you ate an oatmeal cookie and then you had an allergic reaction.

Are you allergic to oat meal, all oat meal cookies, or all cookies?

Since oat meal cookies have more than just one ingredient and there are many different recipes you really can't tell what caused the reaction in that oat meal cookie you ate.

Vaccines are just like that; more than one ingredient and many different "recipes". Just because there was a reaction to one vaccine does not automatically mean there will be a reaction to every vaccine for that virus/bacterium, or all other vaccines.

Personally, I think the data is much higher then reported, many people don't report

abnormalities to their vet, many people go to work the next day after a rabies shot, not knowing their dog is in trouble at home. Many people don't know the connection of a vaccine and their dogs problems. Many Many vets won't acknowledge there is a problem with "over vaccination".

It's impossible to know just how often dogs adversely react to vaccines because veterinarians are not required by law to report adverse reactions. Lack of adverse reactions reporting is a serious problem & has been acknowledged by respected veterinary authorities.

According to the World Small Animal Veterinary Association's 2007 Vaccine Guidelines, "The VGG recognises that there is gross under-reporting of vaccine-associated adverse events which impedes knowledge of the ongoing safety of these products." The World Small Animal Veterinary Association 2007 Vaccine Guidelines are available online at http://www.wsava.org/SAC.htm Scroll down to Vaccine Guidelines 2007 (PDF)

The American Veterinary Medical Association's 2007 Veterinary Biologics Guiding Principles www.avma.org/products/scientific/biologics.pdf states that: "Current adverse event reporting systems need significant improvement in the capture, analysis and reporting of adverse events. Practitioner commitment to adverse event reporting, and timely access for practitioners to current analysis of adverse event data, are essential to providing optimal patient care. .... There is a critical need for more fully developed, scientifically based, and statistically valid evaluation of vaccine products to provide practitioners with a basis for developing vaccination programs that maximize benefits and minimize associated risks for the patients under their care."

In an article entitled, A New Approach to Reporting Medication and Device Adverse Effects and Product Problems, (JAMA - June 2, 1993. Vol.269, No.21. p.2785) Dr. David Kessler, former head of the Food & Drug Administration, reported that "only about 1% of serious events are reported to the FDA."

For an estimate of the number of dogs adversely reacting to the rabies vaccine, Dr. Ronald Schultz of the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine states: "A rabies vaccine and vaccination schedule with a seven year DOI will reduce the number of animals that develop adverse reactions following immunization, which is currently estimated to be 1-3% of the population." Time Out: Rabies Researchers Assess New, Long-lasting Vaccine NEWStat, American Animal Hospital Association June 25, 2008. Based on the estimate of "...more than 72 million pet dogs in the U.S." from the American Veterinary Medical Association U.S. Pet Ownership & Demographics Sourcebook (2007 Edition) http://www.avma.org/reference/marketstats/sourcebook.asp, the currently estimated 1-3% of the population adversely reacting just to rabies vaccination translates into between 720,000 and 2,160,000 dogs.

Archived