BC Boards

AAACK! This can't be happening to me...

Whoops. sorry, Geonni, I did not know when I just posted that, that you were not going to be able to take him. I am sorry! (Can you find a cheaper dog walker?)sorry. :(

I don't see how. Chris takes Sugarfoot and 3 or 4 other dogs 4 times a week from 45 minutes up to 3 hrs. per trip - averaging an hour and a half or so. He goes for hikes up in the hills or to an enormous dog park here called Pt. Isabel where she can swim and run hard. I get this for $200.00 a month, which is far below the going rate here, but almost 1/6 of my monthly income. Adding another dog just isn't in my budget.

I probably should never have even considered adopting him - but you know how it is... That little face just got to me. Well, he's far and away the cutest little guy in the shelter, so I reckon someone will take him. I hope so, anyway.

FWIW, Geonni, I admire you for making the hard decision. I wish more people would put as much thought into the decision as you did.

Thanks, Rushdoggie. You see, I had to give up a dog not so long ago – a Lurcher that I had had from a pup to seven years. Her teeth all went bad – 4 abscesses and 2 more that needed to come out. The best my vet could do was $1,500.00. And since the practice he worked for had been bought by a corporation, (VCA) payments were not an option. Grace’s teeth were undermining her health, and at a time when I had put out nearly $3,000.00 on rescuing Sugarfoot and getting her healthy, there was no more money and no one else to borrow from.

A couple of young professional men who were Grace’s friends from the dog park - I had never met them until Grace faced this problem – after hearing what was happening, told my dog walker that they would like to adopt her. They have two other Lurchers and a Whippet, and live in style in a converted duplex in Berkeley that was remodeled with canine comfort in mind. I was lucky that they made me the offer. It was hard to give up Grace, but it was the best thing for her. They took her into their home, got her teeth fixed right away – and more besides. She is 10 years old now and very happy, thanks to them.

Later I managed to scrape together enough to get vet insurance for Sugarfoot. I never want to face the possibility of having her put down for something as simple as bad teeth. Realistically, I have all I can handle with Sugar and Mugen, my cat. The little dog in the shelter stole my heart, but my brain was able to shout my heart down. 12 years in rescue saw to that.

The old Purina Dog Chow TV ads used to show a kid pouring kibble in a bowl for an eager, beautiful, healthy dog, while the voice-over said, “All you add is LOVE.” But in the real world, while loving a dog is important, it is far from all you need to add. I hope Paladin finds people who will love him and have the wherewithal and the good sense to take proper care of him. He, like all dogs, deserves it.

Here's some of my latest pictures of Grace.

post-10533-080245500 1313883017_thumb.jpg

post-10533-040323300 1313883188_thumb.jpg

post-10533-038453500 1313883208_thumb.jpg

Archived