BC Boards

Vomitting

judedog

First of all, don't get mad at me for being cheap. Times are a bit tight, and I'm trying ot figure this out the cheap way. I love my dog, and I'm about ready to take him to the vet, btu want some advice.

The past 4 mornings, my dog Jude has woken me up 3 of them by vomitting. He only does this once, in the morning. It's like it's only bile, kind of foamy I think (it's on the carpet, of course).

Nothing is new for him. The only thing is we changed the flavor of his food, not the brand. Do you think maybe it's not agreeing with him? We feed him at 8 am and at 5 pm. But he gets sick before he eats in the morning.

He acts normal. Took him for a walk last night and he was chasing rabbits. Eats fine. Sleeps during the day due to the heat.

Any advice? Thanks guys.

Vomitting just bile (it's foamy, yellowish, slimy?) in the wee hours, or early morning, is usually just a sign of a tummy empty for too long. It most likely doesn't have anything to do with the flavor switch of the food. Jack used to do this regularly until we started splitting his dinner in half, and giving him the rest closer to bed time.

If Jude is otherwise fine, I'd try either feeding him later in the evening, or give him a couple of cookies before bed, and see if that takes care of it.

^^ What Paula said.

I had a similar issue with Devon when he was a bit younger. What I started doing (and still do because the dogs seem to like it) was putting part of their dinner in a kong, freezing it, and give it to them at about 8pm. Also, when Devon was vomitting in the morning, I started giving him a drop of ginger oil at bedtime, which soothes an upset stomach.

Hope that helps!

Agree with other posters. When he was younger, Scooter used to do this too until I read here about it possibly being an empty stomach. Started giving him a few low calorie biscuits at night and the problem stopped. :)

^^ What Paula said.

I had a similar issue with Devon when he was a bit younger. What I started doing (and still do because the dogs seem to like it) was putting part of their dinner in a kong, freezing it, and give it to them at about 8pm. Also, when Devon was vomitting in the morning, I started giving him a drop of ginger oil at bedtime, which soothes an upset stomach.

Hope that helps!

Hi Vicki :)

Okay what kind of gingeroil and where do I get it?

Yup - that's why I feed Buddy twice a day. He was vomiting when he got too hungry. Fortunately, my sister had already gone down that path with her dog, and knew that just a few treats would fix it - or feeding smaller amounts more frequently.

Mary

What does he do before breakfast? If it was one of mine I wouldn't go to the vet yet. Just bile? What color?

Before breakfast he wakes me up and tells me it's breakfast time (his favorite part of the day)

You guys are a great wealth of knowledge. Jude is the first dog I've had on my own. Always had a dog growing up, but then went overseas a bit with the military and finally got Jude after my last deployment and got married. We worry about him like a first born I guess.

Thanks again for the help, and I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Hi Vicki :)

Okay what kind of gingeroil and where do I get it?

Hi Claudia,

I got this:

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/product_detail.aspx?item_cd=148019&click=6875

from this (awesome) store near my house:

http://www.thenaturalpetllc.com/index.html

I should correct myself, it was Ginger-Mint oil. :)

Update for the Jude boy... We took the advice and pushed back dinner time. He is still a little confused as I'm pretty sure he can tell time... and he's not getting dinner when he's used to it. But he has not been sick since we changed.

Thanks guys!

Hi Claudia,

I got this:

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/product_detail.aspx?item_cd=148019&click=6875

from this (awesome) store near my house:

http://www.thenaturalpetllc.com/index.html

I should correct myself, it was Ginger-Mint oil. :)

Okay how do you use it? How much do you give and how do you give it?

Sorry for all the questions :rolleyes:

Okay how do you use it? How much do you give and how do you give it?

Sorry for all the questions :rolleyes:

Hi Claudia,

The link that I provided had the suggested use listed but I just put a drop or two in my palmn before bed and Devon just licked it up.

Archived