BC Boards

The Aha - light bulb moment

I saw some of that today in Tess' work!!! I was so proud of my both my dogs today.

Tess has been playing me a bit, I think. She would just shut down and go sit in the water tub if I gave her too harsh of a correction. Last week we starting having her pull the sheep off the fence. Today we did more of that and she has been covering her sheep nicely. Today she was balancing and I was proud of her because the balance point was on center either. I can see that she has the potential to have a lot of eye in her work today.

Her "aha" moment came when I fussed at her for flanking back and forth on her fetch and then she balanced...and she got that look like "this is how you do it!!!"

At one point she was not listening to me to come off the sheep. Now - remember I have been fairly lenient with her because I thought she was extremely soft. Today I gave her a pretty harsh correction - "hey what ya doin'" and she stopped and then followed my "here" command nicely. She didn't run off into the water tub to pout!!!!

Keegan is doing well and working to lengthen his outruns as well as widen them. I also have him pulling the sheep off the fence line. Keegan is slow and sometimes doesn't cover his sheep properly, but today he was doing well.

I have also started to teach the drive concept to Keegan which he is learning...but is yet afraid his sheep will get away.

All in all, I was extremely pleased today with my dogs. I just plan to get him out to every place that will have us and lives in North Carolina!!!!

Thanks for letting me share...it is nice to tell people who understand - my hubby listens but doesn't really know what I'm describing.

Yahoo!

Wonderful news to hear on an otherwise kind of icky day for me - stuck here at home with a flu-like thingie . . . I'm glad you got your work in before the rain came - good idea going down so early!

I had a similiar aha moment with Ann a couple of months ago. Karen showed me how I was wimping out on the corrections - not because I'm afraid she'll shut down (hardly!) but because I'm afraid she'll blow up. Worked on it, got it about halfway, then Jack jumped on me for the same thing at the last clinic (remember, "Gi' me the bluidy stick!" Sue?). That was when I realized I do that with ALL my dogs. I'm always second guessing myself, always afraid of the consequences and never ready to just deal with the present.

I can't wait to see Tess and Keegan both. We should have the lambing lot re-fenced soon so we'll have a place to work other than the big field. Although these lambs are very quiet and I never have a problem working Ann out there. Well, you know, other than the problems caused by me. Or Ann. Or both. :rolleyes:

Way to go Tess! Love those moments! Sounds like Tess and Keegan are coming along! Jackson has another lesson Tues. and I can only imagine what he will do this time! Last week he took retard pill! I know what you mean about the corrections. It's hard for me cuz this is all still so new. Congrats on keeping with it!

Sometimes those soft dogs turn out just fine with the right amount of encouragement and lenience to boost their confidence. She might just be running over the top of you before you know it! Trust me, I know about this from experience!

Good luck and keep having fun!

Renee

"...the bloody stick..." was to be used on the hapless handler, not the dog, as I recall, Becca!

As for second-guessing, I'm the queen of second-guessing myself and it sure is no help to me at all.

We are all works in progress, right? So there's some hope for us yet. Thank goodness the dogs are forgiving.

Yes, I should have made that clear! He was asking me to step into Ann a bit and I was sort of vaguely waving my stick around. I had no earthly idea what I was trying to do, maybe a dance move? That's kind of what it looked like . . .

I am very grateful for the forgiveness of my dogs . . . :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Rebecca, Irena Farm:

Yes, I should have made that clear! He was asking me to step into Ann a bit and I was sort of vaguely waving my stick around. I had no earthly idea what I was trying to do, maybe a dance move? That's kind of what it looked like . . .

I am very grateful for the forgiveness of my dogs . . . :rolleyes:

Becca - that is why I want to video tape one of our training sessions...now I just have to find a person with a video camera!!!!!

Awesome Rachel! I just hate I had to miss it. :rolleyes: We need to get a new video camera since Chuck's died (and since my digital camera took a swim in the dogs' water bowl), and once we do we'll volunteer for taping purposes. I'm also bad about second guessing myself - big time - and even about trivial small things. Sounds like you guys had a great lesson Rachel, I'm so excited for you.

Hey Becca, apparently I have your flu-like thingie. I barely got out of bed all weekend. urgh Not much better today either and now I think my head might explode.

Hopefully they will send you home Laura. (by the way...I like this working at home thing!!!)

I also second guess myself and agonize over small things...like trying not to get frustrated now and keep things positive. This is just my personality though - so I'm working on it in all aspects in my life!!!! See I've been agonizing over it!!!

Feel better Becca and Laura!!

Ya know, my lightbulb moment came after an extended weekend with Jack. It was nicely (Jacks nicely that is :rolleyes: ) pointed out to me I wasn't following through with my corrections. Instead, I was compromising with the dog(s).

After going home and dreaming about it, I realized that I was hesitant because I wasn't clear on exactly what I was correcting. Light bulb....the dog ?not listening? to me was my issue. Not the issue of what was going on at the moment. Doesn't sound as good written out as it does in my head. But I hear voices in there all the time

I find I second guess myself cause I'm not sure about things, then the dog becomes not sure about things and we all know what happens after that.

Geesh...It's nice to finally have a good dog, who's much more sure about things than I am.

Hope your flu thingie stays there and you guys get over it quick.

Kristen