BC Boards

Purebred or mix

My current foster dog, Bo, is very interested in sheep so I might keep him. The other day a friend of mine asked me what he was mixed with..'his head isn't shaped like a BC' she said. Then another person told me they say pit in him. My feeling was he is pure. It really doesn't matter to me because he likes sheep and I like him. I just wanted to get other opinions. Here is his webpage: http://www.bethann.us/bo

You can send me a reply privately.

Thanks,

Beth Ann in IA

looks like a real cutie and the real deal. i don't see pit in him at all. and as they say border collie is as border collie does- not the looks!

Base his breed on how he works and how he handles the livestock not on what he looks like. Based on his photos he could be purebred, who knows where the blue eye came from.

The big question is whether or not he works like a traditional border collie? If he works more upright, forward with little balance or feel he might be a crossbred, but he also could be decended from lines that were selected for cattle work, may have McCallum in him. Hard to say.

Heck, Ricky is ABCA papered, bred and raised here by us and we get people asking if he has pit in him, he does look like it even to us, I can definately see where people would get the idea that he is cross bred. The smooth coat and wider head throws people along with the earset, especially those who are use to rough coated dogs. Ricky inherited his dams head, her dam was imported a daughter of Roper's Cap and her sire was Christopher/Sealine bred, no pit or McCallum....watch him work, no pit or McCallum

In Yorkshire, England, we have met dogs who look like anything from a ox to a greyhound who are border collies.

If it works stock like a border collie, it's a border collie. Or a stock dog. If you're out on the moors.

It's what the dog does, not how the dog looks.

Thanks for all the wonderful info. I totally agree, it is how he works not how he looks. With my limited experience he is all Border Collie. This is why I am so excited.

I've done rescue for about 8 years now and have seen all kinds of looks, personalities and energy levels. This guy is a gem. In the house he is ever so gentle, kind and has manners (except for counter surfing) and around livestock he doesn't see or think of anything else. At home when it is potty time I do have to make sure all the other dogs are in the house so he will focus on the task at hand.

Thanks for your input.

-Beth Ann

I'm not sure but he's pretty cute! is he missing hair on his face in one of those pictures or does he have brown spots?

No brown spots. He does have a large scar in the middle of his forehead and alot of white ticking around the jaw and head. Estimate is he is around 3 yrs.

He could easily be purebred! His head wouldn't be a question if he was a rough coat. I've long since found that BC heads vary so widely in type, there is no "type." Yet another reason why the AKC "standard" is so ridiculous. The blue eyes and odd coloring don't mean a mix-breed, either.

The videos don't indicate much, since he's just playing around. The movements he uses "herding" the other dog aren't what a BC uses when moving sheep, rather he's just trying to stop/control movement. But that's often a stockdog trait and I don't see anything that screams NOT border collie. :) He looks like a cute character!

~ Gloria

Honestly, his head doesn't appear all that wide. I know lots of folks who like wider headed dogs. And a blue eye happens often enough as well. If he works, then he certainly can be called a border collie, and you can call him that even if he doesn't work! ;)

J.

Archived