BC Boards

Step In Harnesses

I personally don't like harnesses for most dogs. In my opinion there is a reason that sled dogs wear harnesses - nothing teaches a dog to pull quite like a harness does. If someone uses one because their dog pulls and coughs then that dog needs to learn to walk politely, regardless of whether he is wearing a collar, harness, etc.

Now if there is a medical reason for one then I think they are all pretty much equal, just pick the one that fits the best.

I personally don't like harnesses for most dogs. In my opinion there is a reason that sled dogs wear harnesses - nothing teaches a dog to pull quite like a harness does. If someone uses one because their dog pulls and coughs then that dog needs to learn to walk politely, regardless of whether he is wearing a collar, harness, etc.

Now if there is a medical reason for one then I think they are all pretty much equal, just pick the one that fits the best.

/\ This. I'm often embarrassed when my enthusiastic adolescent Cerb hits the end of his lead while lunging to "kiss" someone. I think of it as a teachable moment. I do like harnesses if a lead is required (or wanted) in a very rugged hiking area. Here in the land of sandstone cliffs, a "belay" is often required for a rambunctious pup. A harness with a "suitcase handle" is also a plus for getting up slick granite boulders.

Dogs here who have not yet been trained to walk on a loose lead (ie puppies and foster dogs) wear a harness with the leash clipped to the front. Dogs here who go out tracking wear a non-restrictive harness. Untrained dogs (ie puppies and foster dogs) wear a harness that allows me to get a hold of them without grabbing at their throat if I need to take hold, especially shy or nervous dogs. Also, I walk the small dog who has a partially collapsed trachea on a harness because even though he never pulls I don't want any undue pressure on his throat.

Therefore, I own 4 or 5 harnesses. My favorite is the standard two clip made by Premiere. Its adjust very well, and the dogs seem to find it comfortable, and they all get taught how to stand still for harnessing on and off (they wear a seatbelt because my cars not big enough for a big dog crate) early in life so I don't find it any harder to don/doff than the step in version.

FWIW: I don't find that every dog in a harness starts pulling, its just not uncomfortable for them if they do. I have 3 dogs who can all walk nicely on a harness, even the dog who tracks because he can differentiate the context now.

I personally don't like harnesses for most dogs. In my opinion there is a reason that sled dogs wear harnesses - nothing teaches a dog to pull quite like a harness does.

I know that this is a popular opinion, but FWIW, I've found that my little dog pulls a lot LESS when he's wearing his harness. He will strain like nobody's business in a buckle collar (hacking away in the process), but he respects the pressure from his harness for some reason --- And it's worth mentioning that he competes in weight pull events, so I've never really discouraged him from pulling. He weighs all of 17 lbs.

Kaiser's harness isn't anything fancy -- Just something I found at Petco and I don't think they actually come in "big dog" sizes.

post-11040-058398000 1306345986_thumb.jpg

post-11040-036154100 1306346071_thumb.jpg

I use a harness with Jody when we go someplace where I am afraid there could be a real problem if he was to accidentally slip his collar. The collar fits well and I check it often but it still worries me. The harness makes me feel more secure.

Jody gets excited when I get the harness out. It means we are going to do something fun. He will wear it on Saturday when we go to watch the sheep trials in Lawndale, NC. He wears it when we travel far from home or go to a street fair.

Considering that he is really excited at any of these kinds of events his pulling is really minimal. I don't have good balance due to some old injuries. If he pulls, I stop walking immediately. I have to or risk a fall. I guess he's learned that if he pulls we will stop. He isn't perfect every time but does well after one or two dead stop reminders.

His harness is a step in type that buckles on top of his back. The leash clips on top of his back.

I like his harness. It makes me feel more secure about not losing him away from home. It makes him happy because it signals fun is on the way!

I use an inexpensive harness from petco harness to run with, at some point I will get a nice fancy running harness, at the moment this one is working. I do check that it is not chaffing which was my primary concern with such a cheap harness. Rievaulx has a long coat but no under coat.

It is not hard to put on within a couple of runs he just sits and waits, lifts his paw and puts it through when I hold the harness open. No training required just the incentive to go for a run which is the only time I use it, the rest of the time we have buckle collars.

We do put the harness under a bit of strain as Rievaulx is allowed to pull sled dog style when we run, and at almost 60lbs he is a big strong dog.

I would echo Olivia's sentiment. I'm not sure how the harness became the cure for pulling dogs given that it is designed for pulling. I would imagine its because it makes people feel better that their pulling dog isn't choking itself to death, but it doesn't replace actually teaching your dog to walk with a loose leash and pay attention.

I would suggest getting help from someone who knows how to teach you the latter.

My BC pulls on a leash to the point where he is hacking, so we got him one of those "Easy Walk No-Pull" harnesses at Petsmart and it works great for walking, but not when we go running. It rubbed him raw under the leg.

During the winter I purchased a harness setup made for sled dogs, so he could pull my kids around on their sleds. I thought I would give this a try when we go running and it works well for both of us. The bungie works as a shock absorber for the pulling and the harness has padding for his comfort. There is a carabiner on the end that I clip to a belt, so I have my hands free.

I feel that training is the real solution for a pulling dog, but I would rather spend our time running or playing frisbee. Also, I want to do more sled pulling, but not sure how to train him to pull and not pull, although I have heard of people who have been successful.

Archived