BC Boards

Pup coloring

Secret has these odd patches on her hind legs. They are identical on either side and I've always thought it the oddest thing. Is there a "term" for this coloration?

post-11040-077603900 1305038562_thumb.jpg

And a close-up -- They are light tan/cream colored.

post-11040-008990000 1305038572_thumb.jpg

She was black/white as a puppy, but developed some brownish/red hair in her ear fuzz -- So technically, I've been told she's a tri. :P

Karissa,

The way to tell a tri from a B&W is by looking under the tail. Tris will be brown/tan there (around the rectal area), and B&W dogs will not be.

Reddish coloring of the feathering behind the ears is most likely due to fading from the sun--as the black pigment fades, the reddish pigment it disguises will show through (red dogs lack black pigment, which is why they're red; but black dogs have red pigment--it's just covered by the black <-- simple explanation). But if she's brown beneath her tail, then she's definitely a tri.

Tea,

Some dogs (even black and white dogs) roan more than others. I doubt Fleece will go completely grey, but you never know!

J.

I've been going through my photos trying to find pictures of Dex's brindling or "roaning" as a puppy, and now I have puppy lust in the worst way. I had just about forgotten how cute he was. But I have not forgotten how he ate like 9 pairs of underwear as a puppy!

Anyway, Dex looks black and white, but is actually a tri and it expresses itself as brindle on his hind legs, the back of his front legs, and his cheeks. This shot shows it showing up as a pup:

4116361084_327c40d7c8_z.jpg

This compared to his sister Ginny, who is an *actual* (or rather "more standard") tri colour:

4124818813_c4dbbb410b_z.jpg

This is what his tri-colour brindling looks like now:

4805234763_020941a3fe_z.jpg

I think of the 8 pups, 3 were "normal" looking tris, and the other 5 have the brindling in greater or lesser degrees on their legs and face ... though I seem to remember one of the pups is actually just black and white, can't recall for sure.

Does it look like any of that?

ETA - Karissa, Tweed has a patch of that light coloured tan around the base of his tail. It's not so noticeable now that he is super hairy (WTF is with my dogs getting more coat as they age?) but when he was a pup, it looked absolutely ridiculous. He is a dark red and white, no idea where the cream coloured patch came from. But as Julie says, the reddish tinge behind the ears is not tri-colouring. In fact, tri coloured dogs do not generally have tri behind their ears, in any breed.

RDM

My Alex is colored like "Moldy". lol And also like Lark, although his tan is much, much lighter. He's a tri, but like Julie said, after previous discussions here, some said he's actually sable. I don't know, but he sure is cute! :wub: If you're worried about your pup, I'll take her off your hands. ;)

2uh5rtx.jpg

iqdfk7.jpg

In several places Cerb's coat has a tan/brown undercoat under black guard hairs. A bit on his face, in the "fluffies" behind his ears and in his "feathers" on his back legs.

BTW: If Larky clashes with the furniature, she can come to my house :P

Kipp has some of that going on. He is brindle, but looks like a tri unless you're looking close or see the undersides of his legs. His undercoat is tan and when you see through the black guard hairs it looks quite similar to Fleece.

Could she be a brindle?

er.....I am not sure what a brindle is?

If it is stripey...nope no stripes

By looking at the other pups on here, I now feel she won't turn grey!

her face! she has grey eyebrows!

Lark requires sheep, chickens, and cats, and the spot on your bed right next to your head, with rights to the covers if it's cold. She's a high maintenance sort of girl!

J.

*runs out to buy sheep*

*boots Wootie off the bed*

I can haz, plz??

;-)

RDM

Celt started getting "grizzled" on his face at age two. He gets a bit more each year. For a while, he was sporting his "Bela Lugosi" eyebrows - two "vampire-shaped" eyebrows that looked like they were copied from an old silent horror movie star. Even my DIL asked if the livestock were bothered by his "scary" eyebrows.

Lots of folks who don't know otherwise assume he's really old because "he's got all that grey on his face" - that's been happening for years. One of these days, he will be old but, thankfully, not yet.

I love all the patterns, ears, builds, coats, variety you see in these dogs.

Hoot has that going on, too. He's barely a tri, although I think he may have more tan than Dexter.

T, is this the pup that's still available? Because, um, I might be losing my anti-puppy sentiment! Especially since her brother is so freakin' sweet. Please don't bring her to trials. She might come home with me...

Robin and Brodie each have this feature around their eyes, but the coloring is very delicate - as if one took a slim brush and applied color to just one hair at a time around the edges of their eyes in a star burst effect. In addition to his eyebrows, Robin has a gold frost around his eyes Brodie has white -- and clustered mostly on the outer edges of his eyes, which gives him a continued, comical look of surprise at the world, It is so subtle it is easy to overlook -- I didn't even realize what I was seeing until I looked at these pictures, yet it really adds to their over all expressions.

Aw, T, she's adorable! Moldy is the cutest thing ever!!!

I'd say it's just a manifestation of the tri thing, myself. Some tris seem to have that "roaning" and I wonder if it's a sable thing somehow showing up in/with the tri. I've seen that look before, though, and I think it's beautiful.

Hm, daddy Sweep's mother is tri. I forgot to notice if she has the "moldy" face. I'll be up there for the Dry Lake trial the end of this month, so if I see Annie, I'll try to notice if she has any of this "roaning" going on.

More puppy pictures would be welcome, btw ... :D

~ G

Archived