BC Boards

Shearing day

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, how cool is that? I wish I'd thought to time the Aussie who was here doing some local sheering, a couple weeks ago. One of the local small holders hosted him, and folks all over the valley brought their sheep to be shorn, from kids with their one or two 4-H sheep in halters to farmers with 75 head stuck in the trailer. They were sure quick, but two minutes? Dang! :)

Sheryl, from what I've observed, it's like the sheep just give up the fight, once they're tipped on their butts and the shearing begins. They may kick a little, but mainly they just lay there, compliant. It's a wonder! :)

~ Gloria

Eifion came up and sheared my flock last Friday. He averaged 1 min 45 sec per ewe. The yearling market lambs took him longer- they're smaller, but they wiggle.

I'm not sure sheep get used to being shorn, but they do get used to being handled, if they're handled nicely. Some of my older ewes were handled roughly before I got them and they're kickers. Most of the sheep settle down as they age, though.

It was chaos here after shearing- the ewes all have little lambs, and the lambs can't find their mothers without wool! Lambs running around screaming with their mothers right behind them screaming... much comedy ensues :)

Quick update; the guy just called, we shear first thing in the morning (you never get much warning ;)) . I´m happy as our lambing time is now about six weeks away, can´t wait much longer.

This is the best shearer we have had experience with, handles sheep fine, no cuts, and he is very fast.

They were sure quick, but two minutes? Dang! :)

I think two minutes is pretty standard for a good "gun" shearer. The 80-year-old shearer (a friend of mine) who's done my sheep for several years still shears a sheep in less than two minutes.

Things that can slow a shearer down include condition of the wool (lots of vegetable matter or dirt, cotted wool, wet wool, wool break), sheep in poor condition, cool weather (makes the lanolin stickier), etc.

Dal&Mad's Mom,

The holds used by the shearer tend to have a "calming" effect on the sheep. I think they realize that they're "trapped" (so to speak) and so generally don't bother to struggle. Some breeds are also less docile than others, and that can make a difference on the amount of struggle.

Ben,

I had week-old lambs on the ewes here and thought I'd have the usual chaos after as lambs couldn't recognize their nekkid moms, but it didn't happen this year. Don't know why....

J.

Thanks Maja, and no, the sheep are in the stable in this season, so Táta´s help wasn´t required.

Another thing is that we still have a some way to go before we can call her a true "smalahundur"...

We are in the starting blocks to pick up training though.

I´ve got a very varied group of sheep ready as training sheep, a good size well fenced training field, and for a later stage a very nice landscape surrounding the farm where there is a lot of opportunity to set up different training situations. All set!

• 2 weeks later...

Love the video :) When I was a kid hanging out at the county fair, I used watch the sheep sheering competition in amazement. They would grab a ewe and a minute later it was naked and dazed :P Whoa...what just happend :blink:

I see that Flash is for sale. He was my favotite out of your litter. I wish I had room for 3. If he turns out even just half as nice as Roo, he'll be quite the dog :)

Flash still is for sale...the home that he had lined up was not what I wanted for him. He is a very sweet pup and full of himself. Today he was the hit of the parade at the herding lesson. I see a lot of his dad, Roo in him....I think he will be just as sweet natured as him.

OK, so for next year, I will do a video of a a sheep being sheared, hoof trimmed etc...the whole works.

Archived