BC Boards

"Breaking" Puppy Sheep

I've selected a few of my most humble older ewes from my flock to be "puppy sheep". How do I go about training them to work best for puppies? I'm also having an "other" brand trial here at the end of the month and would like to offer nicer sheep for their "test" classes.

I had it in my head that we'd just go in with our older dogs and do a lot of quiet wearing in the new round pen. Will this do the trick and if so, how long will it take?

That would work . . .when ya comin'? And you can stand and stare at Don working some more, too!

Of course! I think you mentioned next weekend and that's fine. You can stare at Don too.

Before I ever started Rae on sheep as a pup, we trained the sheep to follow us around with a bucket of grain to get them used being near us. Also if you have a young dog that's a bit rough or wild on them, go back in with a calm quiet dog to let them settle down again with a dog (wait until they catch their breath).

Renee

Renee,

So having some of the sheep follow you around with a bucket of grain before hand, helped the sheep stay with you when training Rae as a pup? I had never thought of doing this!

I had a problem with my last pup, that I didn't have any sheep that would stay with me, and he was a splitter and gripper. If there is a dog pup in a litter expected in 2 weeks, I will be getting another pup, and would like to have puppy sheep to eventually be able to start the new pup on.

Nancy O

I agree with Renee - I used grain to help break sheep to stay with me. Also - if you go out and get one really dogged sheep, the others will learn from that one to stay with the handler.

I've also used the grain trick with ewes and lambs, when teaching dogs how to bring in the moms and babies. Show the girls the bucket, they come in, and the dog thinks he's doing it. Keeps the ewes from fighting the dogs and helps the dogs learn to stay off the sheep, because they are moving.

Grain - great idea. Let's break some puppy sheep! Don's semi-used to you Julie, so only Rachel will be a new face, and anyone else we can get to come. Anyone want to come stare at a dog work?

The round pen is perfectly round, cattle panel, solid, and 50' wide. We pulled our holding pen out of the front paddock so now it is a perfectly rectangular training lot, 150' X 200'. Same rotten sheep though! :rolleyes:

Um, why are you guys all starting at the dog?

If you have sheep that don't want to stay with you, you can use an older dog to sort of hang around keeping the sheep to you while pups work. I used Spottie for this while introducing all of her pups to sheep and it worked well. Usually only need to older dog for a session or two before the pup can hold sheep on its own to you. It takes the right older dog though, some of them would be terrible at it or hate it.

No reliable older dog. That's the dog we are all staring at.

We've discovered that Don's Big Problem has always been that he gets scared when people he doesn't know watch him work. I don't know why - I've never seen anything like this before - but there's no doubt about it. He will act like he's never seen a sheep before in his life, depending on how scared he is. It's pretty exciting at a clinic, let me tell you!

So I've been desensitizing him. Instead of putting a lot of pressure on him in front of new people, I've been pretending he's a puppy and just asking him to do no more than the very basics - no commands - when people come over. It's a little humbling, but I'm willing to go the extra mile for this dog; I really adore him and right now he's what I've got to work with.

It seems to be working. He didn't fall to pieces the other day when Julie came over, though he was still pretty nervous.

Laura you are welcome too of course! You can assume that - you are Don's buddy now! We'll see what June thinks of the new round pen.

June's one of the dogs I have in mind that I want "puppy sheep" FOR! And I'd like nice sheep if Pam ever wants to bring over those Border collies without tails (hee hee). And Rachel, and RaleighLaura, and anyone else.

Eventually I'm going to buy back those ewes that are still at the Clendenin farm but they will be pretty wild after a year of just hanging out, not even being bred (they are only messing with the hair flock). Those will break nicely but meanwhile, gotta work with what I've got here. I hate being broke.