BC Boards

Trying to Help a Neighbor Pup!

Hello~

I need advice.

I'm a "Golden Retriever person" seeking help for a Border Collie pup. He (she?) is young, under 6 months, probably no more than 4. Very, very, very precious, with silky longish hair.

Yesterday, it was left TIED to the trash can of the apartment behind me all day. All day. In 34 degrees. No food or shelter or water left for it. I tried to get it help, but when I called animal control around 3, they were closed. I tried to get it to come to me--it wouldn't. Finally I called the police and asked them to check on the house, as I worried something happened.

The officer forbad me to take the dog in my house (which was my plan; take the dog and leave a note as to his whereabouts). He did let me give him food and water and try to winterize a crate for him. He said that if he still was still out this morning, they would intervene. I could NOT convince him to take it last night.

This morning, the dog is no longer out there. (The tarp is no longer on the crate, btw.) So, the saga goes on.... I'm planning to ask animal control to investigate on Monday.

I don't know what else to do!

Sara at Mid-Atlantic has offered to help if/when he's surrendered/signed over. If he does wind up in a shelter, I don't want him to have to stay! Esp since we have a kill shelter. (There is, btw, also a Cairn pup in the house, which I haven't seen since Thursday.)

Bless you for trying to help. If you can get this pup out of what sounds like a very bad situation and into rescue, it will make a huge difference for his life. If you have a pocket or phone camera, take pictures of his situation if he's left out tied to the garbage can again. Others may have some ideas for you, but meanwhile, know that you have our support and appreciation for being a caring person. Best wishes to you.

Have you tried talking with your neighbors? Not sure if that would help or not. Maybe they thought they were doing a service to the pup that way he could pee outside and not have any accidents.

Hope everything works out for the pup!

Thank you for helping! So many people won't step up for fear of retaliation. You are following all the correct avenues and unforunatly most places require 24 hours be given to change the circumstances before taking the animal without talking to the owner first :(

If you find the pup tied to the trash can again, Place him/her in an airline safe carrier and send them to me. I also know someone who would LOVE the cairn terrier ;)

Archived